Al Kondo

Default Need advice on laying sewer line in backyard

I have been having problems with my sewer line in my backyard. In the
past, I have made some spot repairs (i.e., replacing sections of
ceramic pipe that cracked with PVC pipe). With the continuing
problems, I have decided to replace the entire length of ceramic pipe
with PVC. I have uncovered about 20 feet of pipe and found problems
with roots, cracled pipe and poor slope. I am glad I am doing this
as these problems would continue otherwise.

My questions a

1. Are there any web sites for the diy'er that describes all the
details of replacing sewer pipe? I have conducted my searches using
Google and have not come up with anything. I thought that if I
could get a detailed description, I might pick up some pointers that I
am not now considering.

2. I read somewhere that I should surround the newly laid pipe with
stones. Is this really necessary? My current pipe is not sitting in
a bed of stones as was suggested.

I would appreciate any thoughts or opinions on this job.

Thanks, Al Kondo
Speedy Jim

Al Kondo wrote:

[...]

Goodness, do a GOOGLE for: laying + sewer + pipe (or similar).
There is a wealth of info to wade thru.

FYI, your existing pipe is called "vitrified clay" pipe.

The important thing is to provide a solid bed in the trench, although
PVC pipe is much more tolerant of uneveness.

If you carefully remove the existing pipe, the existing bed should be
solid and compacted by now so I would just lay the new PVC in it.
Run a string down the length firsthand to spot any low spots or poor
slope conditions.

Plan on a cleanout fitting somewhere in the run.

Rather than pipe with glued joints, go to a *large building supply yard*
and get genuine PVC sewer pipe with O-ring joints. They will take
punishment without leaking or breaking. They can fix you up with the
necessary Mission couplings at both ends of the run. May even offer
some advice...

Jim

John Hines

Speedy Jim wrote:

Al Kondo wrote:

[...]

I'll second that, 6" green PVC pipe, with o-rings, and no glue is
standard here for house to sewer connections. That (different sizes
though) is how they replaced the main lines a couple of years ago.

ZZonka Tonka

I used to have a boss that said when it comes to sewer lines, there are
only three things you need to know, " Sh#t runs downhill, the boss is a
SOB, and payday is friday at 5:00". To answer your question, I had old
4 inch tile and each joint had a mass of fine root ball. I dug out enough
to slide 10 foot sections of 3 inch pvc sewer pipe in it and heard it
crunch every two feet as it went through the root balls. I got it past the
known trouble spots of roots and to the drop in the main in alley, then
hooked it up to the house. That was 18 years ago and it is still
working. The part I dug out I backfilled with sand under and around the
pipe and then backfilled with dirt. Don't forget to put in a clean out.