Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Mimi

Default backyard storage shed

I need to have a storage shed in the backyard. Its dimension is about
15' wide, 6' depth and 6' height. Should I build it by myself or buy
the already built in like rubbermaid, steel,.... I've never built
anything before, but I don't mind to give it a try. And where can I
find the plan for a storage with that size. Any suggestion is
appreciated. Thanks
ameijers

"Mimi" wrote in message
om...
I need to have a storage shed in the backyard. Its dimension is about
15' wide, 6' depth and 6' height. Should I build it by myself or buy
the already built in like rubbermaid, steel,.... I've never built
anything before, but I don't mind to give it a try. And where can I
find the plan for a storage with that size. Any suggestion is
appreciated. Thanks

If you have never built anything before, unless you want a learning
experience, buy a delivered prebuilt. It'll probably be cheaper than buying
the wood/shingles/paint etc, to build one from scratch. If you want to learn
basic carpentry (which is a wonderful skill to have), either do a Google
search for 'shed plans', or buy a DIY book about home inprovement that
includes outdoor sheds. Then make a material list, and take it around to the
local supply yards, and ask what the package price would be, and compare it
to the kits they offer. If you have never even used a hammer, I'd highly
recommend hiring one of those semi-retired freelance fixit guys to assist
you on the project, with the understanding that you will be standing there
helping and learning. If he balks at that idea, hire someone else. It ain't
rocket science, but experience helps a lot. Don't forget that site prep will
be a big part of the work- a big flat spot, preferably with several inches
of gravel, will make the build go a lot easier, and make the shed last
longer.

aem sends...

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 03:16:28 GMT, someone wrote:

My next storage shed will absolutely not be steel. My next will be self
designed wood frame construction.

I have two wooden ones.

They were ordered pre-fab and the vendor brought them out to the site
& set them in place. For the pain in the ass factor, personally I
wouldn't build one myself. I already know how so have nothing to
prove to myself in that respect. If you want a hobby project, go
ahead. I just wanted the shed, not something to kill time with.
this e.mail address goes to a kill file.
JennP

"v" wrote in message

For the pain in the ass factor, personally I
wouldn't build one myself. I already know how so have nothing to
prove to myself in that respect. If you want a hobby project, go
ahead. I just wanted the shed, not something to kill time with.

Agreed. We built our own shed at our old house and are buying a pre-fab for
this house. Not worth the hassle second time around.

JennP.

Betsy

When you say "built your own" and "pre-fab" what does that mean?

In other words, are those wood sheds that one has to put together from Home
Depot (haven't seen it yet, so I don't know what it looks like in the box)
considered pre-fab?

"JennP" wrote in message

"v" wrote in message

For the pain in the ass factor, personally I
wouldn't build one myself. I already know how so have nothing to
prove to myself in that respect. If you want a hobby project, go
ahead. I just wanted the shed, not something to kill time with.

Agreed. We built our own shed at our old house and are buying a pre-fab
for
this house. Not worth the hassle second time around.

JennP.

S R

I believe pre-fab means already put together (designed, built and ready to
drop off). Built your own means to either design and build from raw
materials (2x4s, plywood etc.), or use a plan then build from raw materials.

Stephen R.

"v" wrote in message

For the pain in the ass factor, personally I
wouldn't build one myself. I already know how so have nothing to
prove to myself in that respect. If you want a hobby project, go
ahead. I just wanted the shed, not something to kill time with.

Agreed. We built our own shed at our old house and are buying a pre-fab
for
this house. Not worth the hassle second time around.

JennP.

ameijers

"S R" no email @ no spam.com wrote in message
I believe pre-fab means already put together (designed, built and ready to
drop off). Built your own means to either design and build from raw
materials (2x4s, plywood etc.), or use a plan then build from raw

materials.

Stephen R.

Uh, not exactly. Depending on the part of country and store, it can mean
different things. 'Assembled' means they bring it on a flatbed, and drag it
into position. 'Pre-fab' usually means the walls, trusses, etc, are
prebuilt, but there is some on-site assembly needed. 'Kit' can mean the same
thing, or it can mean a bunch of precut pieces of wood banded together, plus
a box of nails and fastener plates and such. 'Build your own' would be a
package price on the raw materials, and a set of plans. Since even the
chains often use different suppliers in different parts of the country, this
is the type of question that can best be answered with trips to your local
Borg or real lumberyard.

aem sends...

JennP

"Betsy" -0 wrote in message
When you say "built your own" and "pre-fab" what does that mean?

Built our own meaning dh designed the shed, made a supply list and built it
from scratch.

Pre-fab meaning you go to a dealer who sells sheds (like Walpole
Woodworkers) and it comes to your house in a few large pieces and they put
it together on site. HTH

JennP.

JennP

"Mimi" wrote in message
om...
I'm in Houston, Texas. Pre-fab sounds interesting to me. Where can I
get a pre-fab (homedepot, lowes,...)?

Sure. And there are other companies that sell just sheds and other outdoor
equipment like gazebos, fencing, playscapes, etc.

JennP.

Lenny Fackler

"ameijers" wrote in message ...
[...]

Mine was a 'build your own' as you describe above (package deal on
materials and plans), with the only difference being that the trusses
were pre-built. Pretty much everything else had to be cut, but it was
nice to have all of the necessary lumber, hardware, shingles, etc.
delivered on one pallet.
For the OP, I would say to go for it, if you have the time and
interest. I had pretty much zero carpentery experience and managed to
do it by myself.

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 15:16:07 GMT, someone wrote:

Pre-fab meaning you go to a dealer who sells sheds (like Walpole
Woodworkers) and it comes to your house in a few large pieces and they put

Different terminology customs, and/or ambiguous terminology. Here's
my terminology on sheds in descending order.

Prefab - arrives fabricated, i.e. complete

Modular - arrives in pieces that enclose a volume, and get fastened
together - not common on something as small as a shed. Think modular
house.

Panelized - arrives as large flat panels that you put together.

Pre-cut - arrives as bundles of individual smaller pieces that you
assemble into panels and then a volume.

Plans - you buy a set of documents and a list of materials in standard
sizes, you do all the custom cuts yourself.

From Scratch or DIY - you draw it, make up your list of materials, buy
'em, cut 'em, put 'em together.

I used to be a designer in the panelized business for large buildings.
I don't need to "try and" design a shed to see if I can. If you are in
some other line of work and want a hobby challenge, go far down the
list. Otherwise just buy one pre-fab. I have a 12 x 20 that they
brought over on a trailer.

I also had them do the site prep - that is a whole 'nother phase.

-v.

JennP

"v" wrote in message

From Scratch or DIY - you draw it, make up your list of materials, buy
'em, cut 'em, put 'em together.

Ok, at least I got this one right.

JennP.

Byron A Jeff

One part of the discussion that's missing is the relative costs of the
various options. A shed/workshop and detached garage are both in my future
plans. Neither are too terribly complicated other than the fact that I
want both to be two stories for additional storage space. The similar
two story floor plan that I see at the HD is about $7000. Go inside and
price materials, especially materials designed to help in stick construction
such asmetal joist hangers and preprimed, pregrooved, tounge and groove
siding, and the cost adds up to to about a third of the cost.

Now I realize that there is significant labor involved. And of course a
lack of expertise for the do it yourselfer. But saving close to $5000
on the total cost is certainly worth thinking about sweat equity.

BAJ

In article ,
v wrote:
-On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 15:16:07 GMT, someone wrote:
-
-
[...]
-From Scratch or DIY - you draw it, make up your list of materials, buy
-'em, cut 'em, put 'em together.
-
-I used to be a designer in the panelized business for large buildings.
-I don't need to "try and" design a shed to see if I can. If you are in
-some other line of work and want a hobby challenge, go far down the
-list. Otherwise just buy one pre-fab. I have a 12 x 20 that they
-brought over on a trailer.
-
-I also had them do the site prep - that is a whole 'nother phase.
-
--v.
-
-
-Reply to NG only - this e.mail address goes to a kill file.

Mimi

Thanks. Pre fab sounds more easier. Any recommendation where to get
it? (I'm in TX)