Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Backyard Rink?

"C_L_R_D" wrote:

Anyone have any dos and don'ts before I start this project ?

I was given 50 yds poly tarp 12' wide.

I did a 20x40 foot rink for several years- my son and several of his
hockey buddies spent a lot of time on it.

The only think I had any luck joining or patching poly with in cold,
wet conditions was 'Wet and Dry'[?] roof patching compound. Get a
gallon can and a pair of rubber gloves - it's messy, but it will
stick or patch.

I thought i would use a string level to level the soil and place the rink
over were I plant my garden.
2 by 10" treated 10 and 12' boards screwed with scrap pieces.

My technique was to get out as soon as the frost got into the ground
and put about an inch of water down. As soon as that froze I'd add a
half inch- and repeat until I had 4-5 inches.

Then all winter, I played Zamboni with the hose and kept adding ice.
Sometimes I'd end up with 10 inches of ice- which sometimes would get
me through a short thaw in the spring.

Other hockey parents made their frame and filled it with 4-6 inches of
water a week before it was supposed to start freezing. [the lead time
was to let the air get out of the water- I never had any luck with
this technique.]

Every so often, for a fleeting moment, I think longingly of the old
lawn rink--- then I slap myself and thank God #1 son doesn't play
hockey anymore.g

Jim