Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Coating poured concrete basement walls (pics)

http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc269/zulmira1/

I have a poured concrete foundation and I get a good amount of moisture
coming through the walls. I believe much of it seeping through the holes
where the forms were held together as can be seen in the photos; there
are wet spots on the walls half way up every few feet. I plan on using
polyurethane injection in the holes, but I'm not sure about what to use
on the walls. They are currently covered with a stucco type material on
two walls and a very smooth cement over the other two. Both coatings
come off in sheets and can be broken by just pushing with one finger. I
plan on removing all the coatings, wire brushing the cement and cleaning
and etching with muriatic acid. Two products I have been considering are
Quickrete Heavy-Duty Masonry Coating and Drylok. Does anyone have any
first hand experience with these products? I searched for old posts and
found that some people say they don't work, but I don't know if they
prepared the surface correctly.

Thanks
Dante
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dante M. Catoni" wrote:

http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc269/zulmira1/

I have a poured concrete foundation and I get a good amount of moisture
coming through the walls.

-snip-
I searched for old posts and
found that some people say they don't work, but I don't know if they
prepared the surface correctly.

Probably not.
Step one to prepare the surface correctly;
Remove excess moisture.

That isn't done from the inside.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 23, 2:53 pm, "Dante M. Catoni" wrote:
[...]

Get a Sodium Bentonite injection then worry about coating the inside.

http://www.greatlakeswaterproofing.com/volclay.shtml
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm sure you have read this befo the proper cure is on the
outside of the building. It does appear that the moisture is
concentrated on a snap tie pattern which would imply that the snap
ties have extreme rust and/or the outside pockets were never
grouted. It would appear that your wall was not damp proofed and
certainly not water proofed on the outside. Do you know if you
have a perimeter drain? Have you made every effort to move
surface water away from the walls? These would include gutters
and downspouts with leaders that move water well away from the
walls (10 feet type); removal of plantings, shrubs, and flower
beds at the wall line; and surface drainage swales, area drains,
and/or storm provisions to divert water well away from the house.

I have no success or failure stories for your suggested products.
How were you planning to inject polyurethane in the holes, and how
were you going to remove the steel remnants? If you still want
to make the attempt from the inside, there is one product you
should consider: http://www.xypex.com/products/products.php

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Dante M. Catoni" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have rototilled, regraded, and planted new grass. I sealed an asphalt
walk to the foundation with driveway patch. I extended all the
downspouts. This has made a huge difference and stopped water from
coming in even during heavy rain. My dehumidifier has gone from removing
58 pints a day to about 5. My basement also doesn't smell anymore which
is the best part of it. I think the walls are still damp because the
moisture is behind the stucco. I'm going to continue removing it to
expose the whole foundation, run the dehumidifier and see if it drys out
in a few weeks. I have a feeling that the problem will be very minor
which is why I was wondering about coating from the inside.

I was planning on using the Emecole polyurethane injecting kit. I wasn't
going to remove the metal.

Do you know of anywhere I can order Xypex? I sent the local distributor
an email a long time ago and haven't received a reply.

Thanks
Dante

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have rototilled, regraded, and planted new grass. I sealed an
asphalt walk to the foundation with driveway patch. I extended
all the downspouts. This has made a huge difference and stopped
water from coming in even during heavy rain. My dehumidifier has
gone from removing 58 pints a day to about 5

Yup. It's often astonishing how much improvement is possible from such
steps - sometimes a single "small" defect in guttering or downspouts
can deliver a surprising amount of water to a basement or crawl space.

Here a writeup (with pictures) of a classic example:

http://paragoninspects.com/visual-gu...basements.html

Michael Thomas
Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
http://www.paragoninspects.com