fixhouse

Default walls in basement shop - concrete, wood, etc?

I am (slowly) starting to put together a basement shop. The basement
is completely unfinished and the shop is going to be a long project.

I am curious as to what others with basement shops do with their
walls. I could leave the walls as unfinished concrete (possibly
painted), which is certainly the least expensive solution. I could
put up drywall, unfinished pine, some combination, etc.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Edwin Pawlowski

"fixhouse" wrote in message
om...
I am (slowly) starting to put together a basement shop. The basement
is completely unfinished and the shop is going to be a long project.

I am curious as to what others with basement shops do with their
walls. I could leave the walls as unfinished concrete (possibly
painted), which is certainly the least expensive solution. I could
put up drywall, unfinished pine, some combination, etc.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Unless you are in a warm climate, INSULATE.

You want lots of pegboard. Other walls you want to sheetrock and put
cabinets.
Ed

Chip Olson

On Mon, 31 May 2004 20:36:16 -0700, fixhouse wrote:

I am (slowly) starting to put together a basement shop. The basement is
completely unfinished and the shop is going to be a long project.

I am curious as to what others with basement shops do with their walls.
I could leave the walls as unfinished concrete (possibly painted), which
is certainly the least expensive solution. I could put up drywall,
unfinished pine, some combination, etc.

Be extremely careful with drywall and insulation on outside walls if you
have any potential whatsoever for moisture (i.e. if you live in any
climate wetter than Death Valley). My old house had a finished room in the
basement where the insulation and drywall were completely suffused with
mold. We called it the "mold room" and never went in there except at dire
need.

--
-Chip Olson. | ceo2 at thsi dot org | remove the 2 to reply

Renata

Paint the walls with Drylok or something similar
(unless you truly have a water problem and more stringent measures are
needed). Cuts the dampness.

Renata

On 31 May 2004 20:36:16 -0700, (fixhouse) wrote:

I am (slowly) starting to put together a basement shop. The basement
is completely unfinished and the shop is going to be a long project.

I am curious as to what others with basement shops do with their
walls. I could leave the walls as unfinished concrete (possibly
painted), which is certainly the least expensive solution. I could
put up drywall, unfinished pine, some combination, etc.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Doug Miller

In article , Renata wrote:
Paint the walls with Drylok or something similar
(unless you truly have a water problem and more stringent measures are
needed). Cuts the dampness.

Renata

Yep, concur with that recommendation, and add some advice about using Drylok:
a) If using the oil-based variety, make sure to ventilate _thoroughly_. The
fumes are potent. This is IMO best done on a Saturday morning; paint the
walls, then go out of town for the weekend.
b) Whether using the oil-based or water-based variety, don't buy it until the
day you're going to use it, and make sure to have the paint store put it on
the shaker for a long time. The stuff is a cast-iron bitch to stir.

On 31 May 2004 20:36:16 -0700, (fixhouse) wrote:

I am (slowly) starting to put together a basement shop. The basement
is completely unfinished and the shop is going to be a long project.

I am curious as to what others with basement shops do with their
walls. I could leave the walls as unfinished concrete (possibly
painted), which is certainly the least expensive solution. I could
put up drywall, unfinished pine, some combination, etc.

Any comments would be appreciated.

--
Regards,