Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Remove icemaker??

Well, I'm working my way down my list before winter sets in....

On to the refrigerator. It has a top freezer ...you know...one of the
common kinds found in most kitchens.

It has an icemaker installed in the freezer. I think it is one of
those Kenmores that you can buy with or without the icemaker kit (the
refrigerator/freezer came with the house).

Anyway, the water inlet hose burst under the house, so I just capped
it off where it came off the main water line and disconnected the line
from the appliance.

In the meantime, I mickey-moused a "fix" to hold the "turn-off" wire
bar for the icemaker inside the freezer to the off position. Here's a
picture of just what my icemaker looks like, along with the wire bar,
which in the picture is in the "on" position

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/icemaker-intro.jpg

But, since I plan never to use the icemaker again, nor hook it back
up, is there anyway to easily remove it and make more room available
in the freezer?

If not, is it "safe" to leave the icemaker "on" even with no water
connection. Or will it use tons of electric, burn-up, etc.???

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 29 Oct, 16:31, wrote:
[...]

I'm assuming you don't have the installation manual...

Have you tried to lift the ice maker straight up towards the top of
the freezer to see if it is hanging on screw heads or posts?
Have you looked for screws on the inside of the unit to see if it is
screwed into the side wall?

Ice makers are usually hung on the side wall and there will be a plug
of some sort for power. You might not be able to get to the plug until
you remove the unit from the side wall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 29, 12:47 pm, "lee h" wrote:
wrote:
But, since I plan never to use the icemaker again, nor hook it back
up, is there anyway to easily remove it and make more room available
in the freezer?

1. Unplug fridge's AC power cord from wall.
2. three screws hold ice maker to the side wall. remove top 2
screws.
3. While supporting icemaker with left hand, remove bottom
screw.
4. As you lower the icemaker you'll see an inline 'molex' type
connector with probably 4 wires. Unplug connector.
5. Remove icemaker from freezer. Securely tape openings
to the connector remaining in fridge.
6. Plug fridge back into wall.

If not, is it "safe" to leave the icemaker "on" even with no water
connection. Or will it use tons of electric, burn-up, etc.???

Safe, yes. Not tons, perhaps a few ounces. But why not
restore the water supply? You don't like or use ice cubes?

lee

To restore the water line, I would have to install a new one and I
don't know what malnourished person they got to put it in originally,
but there is no way I can even get within 15 feet of where the water
supply line comes out of the kitchen and into the crawlspace under the
house.

So, for securely taping the connections, regular electrical tape?
And, the big question (since I can already hear my wife) will this
leave a big ugly hole in the freezer with exposed wires?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 29, 1:22 pm, "lee h" wrote:
wrote:
So, for securely taping the connections, regular electrical tape?
And, the big question (since I can already hear my wife) will this
leave a big ugly hole in the freezer with exposed wires?

Electric tape is fine. You'll probably be left with a couple of
holes in the back panel. After taping the connector, push it
gently thru it's entrance hole. For cosmetics, use double-sided
tape to fasten a small plastic piece to cover the holes?

BTW, you probably just need to 'loosen' the top two screws
and remove the bottom screw. Then the icemaker will slide
up to clear the top two mounting screws.

i'd put the 3 screws back in after removing the icemaker to
allow future re-installation of it with no missing parts.

Thanks much. Appreciate the help. I'll give it a try!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 29, 3:06 pm, wrote:

Thanks much. Appreciate the help. I'll give it a try!!

Should be a POC (piece of cake).

I replaced so many icemakers in my old POS (piece of something else)
Amana, that I could get them in and out in about 5 minutes.

Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
So, for securely taping the connections, regular electrical tape?
And, the big question (since I can already hear my wife) will this
leave a big ugly hole in the freezer with exposed wires?

It does not matter what you use, your wife will soon be bitching that she
does not have an icemaker. Meantime, electrical tape is OK.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 29, 5:45 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
wrote in message
So, for securely taping the connections, regular electrical tape?
And, the big question (since I can already hear my wife) will this
leave a big ugly hole in the freezer with exposed wires?

It does not matter what you use, your wife will soon be bitching that she
does not have an icemaker. Meantime, electrical tape is OK.

HAHAHA!

You have to be married.....and I KNOW you are right....

icemaker frigidaire snglbrd Home Repair 1 February 25th 07 05:52 PM
Help, please... Icemaker problem - Please help Mark246 Home Repair 11 September 30th 06 09:58 PM
No water to icemaker [email protected] Home Repair 2 August 16th 06 03:31 PM
Icemaker PanHandler Home Repair 8 August 8th 05 12:50 PM
Icemaker problem Andy Home Repair 12 April 16th 05 03:05 PM