Andy

Default Icemaker problem

bargaindealsman wrote:
We have a Kitchenaid refrigerator with an ice maker in the freezer
compartment. Recently the ice maker stopped producing ice and I am
wondering if there is anything I can check to determine the problem.

few weeks ago it did the same thing and suddenly it started working
again for some reason. I am not sure what we did to cause the change,
if anything. Now it's back to not producing again. I would appreciate
any tips you may offer on how to troubleshoot the problem.

TIA

Andy writes:

I had a Sears Kemore with an icemaker problem. Every 4 years or so
it would stop making ice and the tray would be frozen over. In every
case the problem was due to sediment buildup in the plastic tray.

When the motor turns the tray around and it hits against a cam, the
tray would twist and the ice would then fall into the container. The
problem was that with a big sediment buildup, all of the ice would stop
falling out. The next cycle would feed too much water into the tray,
since a few cubes of ice remained, and the whole thing would freeze
over. Nothing would "pop" out when the machine cycles...The tray would
remain full of ice, and frozen over solid.

So, I ordered a new plastic tray from Sears. About 10 bucks. They just
snap in and out. It ALWAYS fixed my problem..... This is an obscure
solution that most people won't be able to determine, so they replace
the motor AND tray and also pay a service charge.....

If this is your problem you can check on it easily by doing the
following:

1) remove the tray and check whether it is frozen over, that is, ice
is in the little compartments and is also coated by a layer of
ice over the top.

2) Twist the tray and get ALL of the ice out. Clean the
tray with CALGON or some other calcium sediment remover,
that is like what you use in your shower...Put the tray back.

3) See if it works properly for the next couple weeks. This is not
a permanent fix, since apparently, each sediment buildup messes
up the slick surface of the tray a little more...

But it is easier just to replace the tray....

Anyway, that is how my icemaker worked, and how I solved the
problem for over 20 years.... It is still working.......

Good luck,

Andy

m Ransley

Maybe a clogged water filter

William W. Plummer

bargaindealsman wrote:
We have a Kitchenaid refrigerator with an ice maker in the freezer
compartment. Recently the ice maker stopped producing ice and I am
wondering if there is anything I can check to determine the problem. A
few weeks ago it did the same thing and suddenly it started working
again for some reason. I am not sure what we did to cause the change,
if anything. Now it's back to not producing again. I would appreciate
any tips you may offer on how to troubleshoot the problem.

Sometimes the filler tube gets frozen. Use hot water squirted on it to
free it up.
Edwin Pawlowski

"bargaindealsman" wrote in message
We have a Kitchenaid refrigerator with an ice maker in the freezer
compartment. Recently the ice maker stopped producing ice and I am
wondering if there is anything I can check to determine the problem. A
few weeks ago it did the same thing and suddenly it started working
again for some reason. I am not sure what we did to cause the change,
if anything. Now it's back to not producing again. I would appreciate
any tips you may offer on how to troubleshoot the problem.

TIA

Check www.repairclinic.com for trouble shooting. Sometimes it is simple.
Is the arm moving freely or did it get wedged by something?

TURTLE

"William W. Plummer" wrote in message
news
bargaindealsman wrote:
We have a Kitchenaid refrigerator with an ice maker in the freezer
compartment. Recently the ice maker stopped producing ice and I am
wondering if there is anything I can check to determine the problem. A
few weeks ago it did the same thing and suddenly it started working
again for some reason. I am not sure what we did to cause the change,
if anything. Now it's back to not producing again. I would appreciate
any tips you may offer on how to troubleshoot the problem.

Sometimes the filler tube gets frozen. Use hot water squirted on it to free
it up.

This is Turtle

In Over 90 % of the time when the filler tube freezes up, it is the water
cellinoid valve leaking that is doing this at the back bottom of the
refrigerator. Now 10% of the time it is not it.

TURTLE

Art Todesco

I have a Kitchenaid built-in and it does this every once and a while. I
wiggle the ice sensor bar up and down a few times (kind of roughly, but
not as to break anything) and then it starts to work ... you're results
may vary, as it might be something different like a frozen fill line,
control system, etc.

bargaindealsman wrote:
We have a Kitchenaid refrigerator with an ice maker in the freezer
compartment. Recently the ice maker stopped producing ice and I am
wondering if there is anything I can check to determine the problem. A
few weeks ago it did the same thing and suddenly it started working
again for some reason. I am not sure what we did to cause the change,
if anything. Now it's back to not producing again. I would appreciate
any tips you may offer on how to troubleshoot the problem.

TIA

Appliance Repair Aid

bargaindealsman wrote:
We have a Kitchenaid refrigerator with an ice maker in the freezer
compartment. Recently the ice maker stopped producing ice and I am
wondering if there is anything I can check to determine the problem.

few weeks ago it did the same thing and suddenly it started working
again for some reason. I am not sure what we did to cause the change,
if anything. Now it's back to not producing again. I would appreciate
any tips you may offer on how to troubleshoot the problem.

TIA

Hi,

Recently the ice maker stopped producing ice

How did it stop? Icemaker sat there dead, icemaker was going through
the motions but not filling with water, icemaker is stuck 1/2 way
through a harvest?

wondering if there is anything I can check to determine the problem.

As others have mentioned, check the fill tube for an ice build up. That
is a common problem.
http://www.applianceaid.com/icemaker.html#water

Freezer temp ok? Freezer temp must get below 15=BAF before the icemaker
will cycle on and run.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Barry

bargaindealsman wrote:
We have a Kitchenaid refrigerator with an ice maker in the freezer
compartment. Recently the ice maker stopped producing ice and I am
wondering if there is anything I can check to determine the problem. A
few weeks ago it did the same thing and suddenly it started working
again for some reason. I am not sure what we did to cause the change,
if anything. Now it's back to not producing again. I would appreciate
any tips you may offer on how to troubleshoot the problem.

Sometimes the filler tube gets frozen. Use hot water squirted on it to free
it up.

This is Turtle

In Over 90 % of the time when the filler tube freezes up, it is the water
cellinoid valve leaking that is doing this at the back bottom of the
refrigerator. Now 10% of the time it is not it.

TURTLE

40 years in the HVAC and R Business. You would think you would
get allot closer to solenoid. Just seeing them at the wholesale
house after forty years in the business. Just reading any kind of
literature you see the word solenoid over and over again. You would
think the word would be so ingrained in you that you would hardly miss
spell it this bad. It would be like a heart surgeon misspelling
heart.

Barry
TURTLE

bargaindealsman wrote:
[...]

This is Turtle.

Spelling is not my better quality. Also i type with one finger and only look at
the key board and try to proof read it after I finish. Now i like spelling words
a little different than most and have some different ways to spell stuff in my
own way.

Figure ----- Figger.
Solenoid -- Cellinoid.
Short ------ Shirt.

Now I do get a lot of my words from Blue Collar TV for my words.

Also One thing here. Do you want a spelling lesson here or do you want me to
tell you what it is. Also I'm Now a Surgeon and here is one for you to thunk
about. Albert Einstein could not add or subtract numbers 80% of the time. When
he wrote anything it was in Albert's own note writting and very few could read
it. albert was ask one morning when he got to work on the new york project .
What was 2 + 2 and Albert could not tell him for he was looking at 1,000 ways to
look at it and would not answer. I'm not Albert but i just don't care much about
being exact exact with everything.

TURTLE

JimL

Hey Turtle.

You can spell however you like! I happen to like the way you
spell.

I also appreciate the good honest answers you have always given to
the home owners here and over on the 'other' board.
Over the many years I've been reading these groups, you far
surpass all the other professionals in helping the home owner. I'm
not saying that you any smarter than the others, I'm just saying that
you give good advice and the advice is given with a sense of caring
that doesn't come across with the others. I don't think you carry a
'red tag' in your heart or your truck. For the uninitiated,
several(most?) of the hvac people take great pleasure in shutting off
the heat to the elderly or economically disadvantaged on a cold
freezing night..

We have all seen the 'hidden camera' news shows and know what the
general character traits are of the people doing hvac repairs, so you
are a beacon of light in the dark dingy underworld of foul mouthed
dishonest repairmen.

Enough well deserved praise. Now let me give you some advice that
you can take or leave. Do you remember the phrase "Turn the other
cheek"? It doesn't apply everywhere such as when someone is
attacking your kids or spouse, but it certaintly applies to name
calling on these usenet boards.

Let me quote someone smarter than me that points out the phrase:
" The pacifist ethic to bear insults without complaint and to turn
the other cheek is related to the ethic to love one's enemy. Here the
emphasis is as much on the individual's internal attitude as it is
upon the other's welfare. If a person responds to evil in anger or
self-defense, he becomes attached to the evil and it can dominate him.
The anger and hatred of his attacker is transmuted into his own anger
and resentment at being a victim, and he loses his balance and
spiritual strength. But by bearing and accepting insults and abuse
without diminution of his own goodwill and mental concentration, he
can stay above the hatred and preserve a foundation of spiritual
independence and self-possession.

Ultimately, it is only by preserving his spiritual subjectivity in
the midst of the insults that a person can have the strength to love
his enemy and win him over. We include several striking examples:
from the Lotus Sutra of a monk who is victorious through never
disparaging his abusers, and the prophet Isaiah's servant of the Lord.

The concluding passages also deal with the justice of turning
the other cheek. They assume an inexorable principle of Divine
Justice, pp. 183-91, which will set things right and even vindicate
the victim's passivity. Paul argues that worldly retribution would
mitigate the punishment of God, hence, by not acting, the believer
will heap burning coals upon the head of his adversary. The Sutra of
Forty-two Sections likewise speaks to the demerit which will come to
the evildoer when his insult is accepted without responding. The
victim, on the other hand, gains merit through enduring persecution
and building the virtue of patience.

Let there be no injury and no requital. ....."

You can read more than what I stole of this author at:
http://origin.org/ucs/ws/theme145.cfm

Good luck and God Bless
JimL

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 00:08:45 -0500, "TURTLE"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

TURTLE

"JimL" wrote in message

[...]

Why Thank you for the words of the post. I have read it twice and have not got
all of the thoughts from it yet. Now You sure did explain respect to a tee !

Thank You There

TURTLE

Stormin Mormon

And a couple years ago, Turtle reminds us that a frozen filler tube can be a
leaky valve. Lets water dribble in, where it freezes as it's dribbling.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"William W. Plummer" wrote in message
news bargaindealsman wrote:
We have a Kitchenaid refrigerator with an ice maker in the freezer
compartment. Recently the ice maker stopped producing ice and I am
wondering if there is anything I can check to determine the problem. A
few weeks ago it did the same thing and suddenly it started working
again for some reason. I am not sure what we did to cause the change,
if anything. Now it's back to not producing again. I would appreciate
any tips you may offer on how to troubleshoot the problem.

Sometimes the filler tube gets frozen. Use hot water squirted on it to
free it up.

JimL

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 21:39:46 -0400, bargaindealsman
wrote:

On 14 Apr 2005 11:18:53 -0700, "Appliance Repair Aid"
wrote:

How did it stop? Icemaker sat there dead, icemaker was going through
the motions but not filling with water, icemaker is stuck 1/2 way
through a harvest?

wondering if there is anything I can check to determine the problem.

As others have mentioned, check the fill tube for an ice build up. That
is a common problem.
http://www.applianceaid.com/icemaker.html#water

Freezer temp ok? Freezer temp must get below 15ºF before the icemaker
will cycle on and run.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

I could hear it making all the various noises off and on, but no ice
cubes are in the tray. The freezer seems cold enough because all the
frozen items are really solid etc.

I am not familiar with all the terminology of icemakers, so I'll have
to read the web pages recommended and see what I can take from that.
Thanks again for all the advice.

My icemaker just turned 4 years old and I love it. However, it has
NOT been trouble free for these 4 years.
I've had to unstick the cubes a few times when the noise it was
making indicated that it was having a problem. I used vinegar in the
tray to remove the deposits and it works smoothly again. yuck.
I've had the inside fan stick once and the compressor fan stick
once. (probably a rat caused this)
I've learned that changing the water filter lets all the cubes fill
instead of just half of them.
I stir my ice cubes once a week and remove the ones that are stuck
together. This gets rid of the 'old' bad tasting cubes, too.
I use a feather brush to clean the condensor coils every few months
and have to adjust the temperature up because it is more efficient
when I do so.
I keep two thermometers in the fridge to monitor the temperature. I
shoot for 38 degrees in my vege drawer.

I love my icemaker.