Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.construction,alt.building.contractors

Default Fastening down Wonderboard to floor joists

What's the best way to do this? Below is from Eric Gurney 7/21/2000 which is the best I could find with google...

From http://www.custombuildingproducts.co...derBoard12.htm
(link no longer good)

Fasteners: Galvanized roofing nails, 1 1/2" (38 mm) long with hot-dipped
galvanized coating for use with wood framing. Nails should meet Federal
Specification #FF-N105B/type 2 style 20. Custom Concrete Backerboard Screws
or equivalent, 1 1/4" (32 mm) long, for use with wood or 20 gauge steel
framing.

Underlayment: Using a 1/4" (6 mm) square-notched trowel, apply a setting bed
of latex-modified mortar to the subfloor or base. Immediately laminate 1/2"
WonderBoard Concrete Backerboard to subfloor base, leaving a 1/8" - 3/16"
(3 - 5 mm) space between boards at all joints and corners. Stagger joints so
they do not line up with underlying substrate joints. Fasten backerboard
every 6" - 8" (15.2 - 20.3 cm) o.c. throughout board field and around all
edges while setting bed mortar is still workable. Around perimeter of each
board, locate fasteners within 1/2" - 2" (1.2 - 5.1 cm) of edge. Fill all
joints and corners solid with latex-modified mortar. Taping of floor and
counter joints is not required.

Sam

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.construction,alt.building.contractors

From http://www.custombuildingproducts.co...derBoard12.htm
[...]

If you are trying to fasten wonderboard directly to floor
joists, then there is your problem. The reason that you can
find no instructions on how to do it, is because you cannot do
it. Wonderboard cannot bridge floor joists, so you must have
and underlayment to support it. Then you fasten the
wonderboard to the underlayment.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.construction,alt.building.contractors

Sammy bin Snoozin wrote:
I meant... what kind of underlayment, how thick, etc? Makes sense, but adding any thickness will bring the new section higher than the rest of the floor.

Please don't top post.

Underlayment thickness is determined by what you intend to put
on it, spacing of the floor joists and material used for
underlayment, including how it is installed.

From http://www.custombuildingproducts.co...derBoard12.htm
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sammy bin Snoozin wrote:
I meant... what kind of underlayment, how thick, etc? Makes sense, but adding any thickness will bring the new section higher than the rest of the floor.

There are several things to consider for a floor tile installation as
Robert indicated. Not the least of which is the potential for
deflection or flex. I learned this the hard way once. I've done a few
tile installations over wood sub-floors since that snafu and I've
referred to this when I have.
http://www.ttmac.com/deflection_limitations.htm

Sometimes it's just no feasible for tile to be put over a sub-floor
given the existing construction, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 12:58:29 -0700, Manster wrote:

Sammy bin Snoozin wrote:
I meant... what kind of underlayment, how thick, etc? Makes sense, but adding any thickness will bring the new section higher than the rest of the floor.

There are several things to consider for a floor tile installation as
Robert indicated. Not the least of which is the potential for
deflection or flex. I learned this the hard way once. I've done a few
tile installations over wood sub-floors since that snafu and I've
referred to this when I have.
http://www.ttmac.com/deflection_limitations.htm

Sometimes it's just no feasible for tile to be put over a sub-floor
given the existing construction, etc.

I'm just getting tile put in.
I have an older home, with wood laths that run diagonally across the
floor joists, they are 5/8" thick.
My tile guy installed 3/8" plywood over the wood laths, then a
thinset ontop of the plywood, and then the wonderboard. Then used
special screws to fasten the wonderboard to the joists.

Then the tile in a 'subway' pattern. Looks great.

samurai.
Posted to alt.home.repair

samurai wrote:
On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 12:58:29 -0700, Manster wrote:

I've done a few
tile installations over wood sub-floors since that snafu and I've
referred to this when I have.
http://www.ttmac.com/deflection_limitations.htm

I'm just getting tile put in.
I have an older home, with wood laths that run diagonally across the
floor joists, they are 5/8" thick.
My tile guy installed 3/8" plywood over the wood laths, then a
thinset ontop of the plywood, and then the wonderboard. Then used
special screws to fasten the wonderboard to the joists.

Then the tile in a 'subway' pattern. Looks great.

Sounds adequate, assuming the floor joists are spaced properly. Say 16"
o.c. or close. You can check yourself using the L/360 criteria as
prescribed at the web site I posted before. I doubt that you will have
any problems. I'm not sure; what is a "subway" pattern? A staggered or
offset joint, a basket weave pattern?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.construction,alt.building.contractors

Default Wonderboard video - no audio?

http://www.custombuildingproducts.co...=diy&l ang=en

This page has a video showing how to lay down wonderboard but when I
click on either low or high bandwidth, I get the video but no sound.
Can anyone get sound? Know what I can do to hear it? My Windows
mediaplayer works fine with other files but can't hear any of the
videos on this site.

Thanks
Sam

Posted to alt.home.repair

I get sound. Since the file is a .wmv you should have no problems. Can you
play other files with a .wmv extension? Maybe the audio codec in your
machine is corrupted or some such filtering device (anti-virus, firewall,
etc.) is stopping it.

PS - I'm using Media Player Version 9.00003354

"Sammy bin Snoozin" wrote in message

http://www.custombuildingproducts.co...=diy&l ang=en

This page has a video showing how to lay down wonderboard but when I
click on either low or high bandwidth, I get the video but no sound.
Can anyone get sound? Know what I can do to hear it? My Windows
mediaplayer works fine with other files but can't hear any of the
videos on this site.

Thanks
Sam

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.construction,alt.building.contractors

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 04:30:24 GMT, "Sammy bin Snoozin"
wrote:

PS - I'm using Media Player Version 9.00003354

"Sammy bin Snoozin" wrote in message

http://www.custombuildingproducts.co...=diy&l ang=en

This page has a video showing how to lay down wonderboard but when I
click on either low or high bandwidth, I get the video but no sound.
Can anyone get sound? Know what I can do to hear it? My Windows
mediaplayer works fine with other files but can't hear any of the
videos on this site.

Thanks
Sam

Works fine for me. I an using Media Player 9.00.00.2980 running on
Win98se with a 56k dialup modem. I chose the low bandwith version.

However, I should mention that it did not play at all the first time I
tried. I got the same error that I have been getting everytime I
tried to play an online video lately. But I had some problems with
Windows last week, and removed a few "lost" files. I kept the
download on my drive, so I just re-ran it, and after that it played
great. I'd recommend reinstalling media player, it tends to get
flakey when other programs are installed. You should not have to
remove it, just run the install again. I'm curious, where did you get
9.00003354? I thought version 9 was version 9 and thats it? Are you
running WinXP or another OS version? Maybe there is a change for that
OS. Otherwise I just got an earlier copy I guess.

I was surprised there were no skips in it. Usually when I play these
things on a dialup connection they skip all the time.

Hope this helps

Alvin
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.construction,alt.building.contractors

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 04:28:14 GMT, "Sammy bin Snoozin"
wrote:

http://www.custombuildingproducts.co...=diy&l ang=en

This page has a video showing how to lay down wonderboard but when I
click on either low or high bandwidth, I get the video but no sound.
Can anyone get sound? Know what I can do to hear it? My Windows
mediaplayer works fine with other files but can't hear any of the
videos on this site.

Thanks
Sam

Since my last reply......
Just for grins I tried the HIGH bandwith version on my 56K modem. It
also worked fine. Same video, only larger, and it took longer to
load.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.construction,alt.building.contractors

wrote:

PS - I'm using Media Player Version 9.00003354

"Sammy bin Snoozin" wrote in

message

http://www.custombuildingproducts.co...rfacePrep/Back

erboards/OneQuarterInch_WonderBoardConcrete.aspx?user=diy&l ang=en

[...]

Thanks, will try reinstalling. I'm using Win2000Prof. That's what
came out when I ran the then-latest update from microsoft.

I was surprised there were no skips in it. Usually when I play

these
things on a dialup connection they skip all the time.

Hope this helps

Alvin

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.construction,alt.building.contractors

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 04:28:14 +0000, Sammy bin Snoozin wrote:

http://www.custombuildingproducts.co...=diy&l ang=en

This page has a video showing how to lay down wonderboard but when

click on either low or high bandwidth, I get the video but no

sound.
Can anyone get sound? Know what I can do to hear it? My Windows
mediaplayer works fine with other files but can't hear any of the
videos on this site.

Download it and try to play it. I use linux and it plays fine using
linux's version of media player so you shouldn't have any problem.

Thanks for the tip! I downloaded it, and no audio on version 9.0, but
played fine with version 6.4.

Posted to alt.home.repair, alt.construction, alt.building.contractors

On Oct 22, 10:46 am, "Sammy bin Snoozin"
wrote:

I see. My building vocabulary is not that good. It already has 2x6 boards on the joists, if that's what underlayment is. They are in good shape.

If you do not understand the terminology you will have a tougher time
asking questions and deciphering what is meant by the answers. Google
'construction glossary' and you'll find a good place to start to fill
in the blanks.

Underlayment is a plywood (or approved equal) layer on top of the
subfloor. In a typical tiling situation the house might have 3/4"
plywood or OSB as the subfloor. The underlayment is meant to smooth
out the surface in preparation for the tile. If your subfloor is
strong enough you don't need an additional underlayment - you can bond
the cement board directly to the subfloor.

I don't understand how you could have 2x6s as a subfloor unless your
joists are spaced far greater than the typical 16". Tile
installations live and die by how much the floor will deflect under
load. If you subfloor or joist spacing is unusual the normal advice
doesn't apply.

Post pictures on one of the free hosting sites and link to them in
your next post.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.construction,alt.building.contractors

Sammy bin Snoozin wrote:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 04:28:14 +0000, Sammy bin Snoozin wrote:

http://www.custombuildingproducts.co...=diy&l ang=en

This page has a video showing how to lay down wonderboard but when

click on either low or high bandwidth, I get the video but no

sound.

Can anyone get sound? Know what I can do to hear it? My Windows
mediaplayer works fine with other files but can't hear any of the
videos on this site.

Download it and try to play it. I use linux and it plays fine using
linux's version of media player so you shouldn't have any problem.

Thanks for the tip! I downloaded it, and no audio on version 9.0, but
played fine with version 6.4.

You do realize you have an audio mixer that has volume
setting for at least 4 inputs? I just installed a USB HDTV
and had to push "wave" level to max. There is also a
"volume" on the Tv screen, as well as the regular pc
"speaker" volume too. They all interact.

-larry / dallas

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.construction,alt.building.contractors

wrote:

[...]

Well, thanks....it's been a month since I posted the
question. Since then I learned some of the terms, already
installed the cement board - like you say, directly to the
subfloor. (I'm not laying tile, by the way).

I don't understand how you could have 2x6s as a subfloor

unless your
joists are spaced far greater than the typical 16". Tile
installations live and die by how much the floor will

deflect under
load. If you subfloor or joist spacing is unusual the

normal advice
doesn't apply.

Too late -- the floor's already fixed, but they were
tongue-in-groove 2x6's. From what I gather, it's std 1961
tract home construction. Again, no tile invovled.

Post pictures on one of the free hosting sites and link to

them in
your next post.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks. I can download it and hear it, but playing it
online is video only. Not a big deal this time.

"CraigT" wrote in message
. ..
I get sound. Since the file is a .wmv you should have no

problems. Can you
play other files with a .wmv extension? Maybe the audio

codec in your
machine is corrupted or some such filtering device

(anti-virus, firewall,
etc.) is stopping it.

"Sammy bin Snoozin"

wrote in message

http://www.custombuildingproducts.co...=diy&l ang=en

This page has a video showing how to lay down

wonderboard but when I
click on either low or high bandwidth, I get the video

but no sound.
Can anyone get sound? Know what I can do to hear it?

My Windows
mediaplayer works fine with other files but can't hear

any of the
videos on this site.

Thanks
Sam

Finishing Basement: Fastening Exterior Walls to Floor [email protected] Home Repair 20 April 3rd 06 05:52 PM
Fastening a Balister/Spindle To The Floor ? Robert11 Home Repair 2 February 1st 05 03:14 PM
wonderboard on top of of sub-floor ?? Andy S Home Repair 4 December 13th 04 03:48 PM
floor joists Sploop UK diy 2 October 2nd 04 02:33 PM
Uneven floor joists....installing new floor covering...2 problems. Dave Bonnell Home Repair 5 October 29th 03 02:58 PM