Robert11

Default Fastening a Balister/Spindle To The Floor ?

Hello:

Newbie at this.

Getting ahead of myself on planning for this this project, but would like to
ask:

When installing new balisters (or are they really called spindles ?) for a
railing system, can the balister be screwed into the floor thru an existing
rug, or
must a cirular "plug" be removed first so the balister sits (firmly) on the
wood ?

Is there a name for the double pointed screws that are used ?

Thanks,
Bob

m Ransley

On wood best is not painted wood, use wood glue and drilled and bolted
from underneath or screw at an angle into step and countersunk.

Jim M

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

Newbie at this.

Getting ahead of myself on planning for this this project, but would like
to ask:

When installing new balisters (or are they really called spindles ?) for a
railing system, can the balister be screwed into the floor thru an
existing rug, or
must a cirular "plug" be removed first so the balister sits (firmly) on
the wood ?

Is there a name for the double pointed screws that are used ?

Thanks,
Bob

Hi Bob,
The Balister is the main end post and the spindles are the ones that go
in between.
I had some decorative Ballisters in our living room that I
wanted to permanently remove and install Carpet. I found that the 4x4 inch
oak Balister was cut in through the floor and screwed to the floor joists
beneath the floor. I had to wrestle them out of the floor by working back
and forth (since the basement ceiling was finished and couldn't get at it
from the bottom)............. I then pluged the holes with plywood.
Hope maybe this experience will help you out... Jim