Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Phone wiring

Recently bought house. Phone jacks in almost every room.
Ordered new connection from Verizon. Works only in one room.
They say previous owners had atleast 3 lines. They had it wired that
way.
Asking for 95 for first line, and about 50 for each additional line to
rewire!!!!

Anybody else encountered this before?
Any solution / work around except wiring myself from inside using one-
to-many jacks
available in stores?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"thumor" wrote in message
oups.com...
Recently bought house. Phone jacks in almost every room.
Ordered new connection from Verizon. Works only in one room.
They say previous owners had atleast 3 lines. They had it wired that
way.
Asking for 95 for first line, and about 50 for each additional line to
rewire!!!!

Anybody else encountered this before?
Any solution / work around except wiring myself from inside using one-
to-many jacks
available in stores?

What did Verizon connect to? Did they install a new jack that you are
connected to? There may be another connection for the existing wiring so
that all the connections work.

If you can find a local phone service, you can probably get it done much
cheaper than the phone company. In my case, thee is a guy that is retired
from the phone company that does that sort of thing part time.

It is possible hte last owner had a cable connection too and negated the
existing wiring tot he outside box.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 18:52:06 -0000, thumor
wrote Re Phone wiring:

Recently bought house. Phone jacks in almost every room.
Ordered new connection from Verizon. Works only in one room.
They say previous owners had atleast 3 lines. They had it wired that
way.
Asking for 95 for first line, and about 50 for each additional line to
rewire!!!!

Anybody else encountered this before?
Any solution / work around except wiring myself from inside using one-
to-many jacks
available in stores?

Thanks.

How about one of those 4-handset wireless phones. Plug the base into
the desired wall outlet and spread the other three handsets wherever.
Like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Vtech-i6787-Co.../dp/B000RE1J68
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Sep 24, 2:52 pm, thumor wrote:
Recently bought house. Phone jacks in almost every room.
Ordered new connection from Verizon. Works only in one room.
They say previous owners had atleast 3 lines. They had it wired that
way.
Asking for 95 for first line, and about 50 for each additional line to
rewire!!!!

Anybody else encountered this before?
Any solution / work around except wiring myself from inside using one-
to-many jacks
available in stores?

Thanks.

sounds to me like the PO's of the house wired one line to the one room
that is currently working, and the rest of the house was wired only to
one of the other two lines. If you can find the point of connection
you should be able to just move wires around and make everything work
on one line. no need to call the phone co. in for an issue that
appears to be only inside your house. DAGS for "residential phone
wiring" and read a couple how-tos, you can do this.

good luck

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

thumor wrote:
Recently bought house. Phone jacks in almost every room.
Ordered new connection from Verizon. Works only in one room.
They say previous owners had atleast 3 lines. They had it wired that
way.
Asking for 95 for first line, and about 50 for each additional line to
rewire!!!!

Anybody else encountered this before?
Any solution / work around except wiring myself from inside using one-
to-many jacks
available in stores?

All the interior phone lines terminate in the DMARC - the box on the back of
the house that the telephone company's wires enter. Your existing wiring
terminates in three places (for the three lines) but only one of those
terminal-pairs has telephone company wires attached.

Simply remove the wires from the connectors that have no TELCO wires
attached and move the wires to the live connectors.

Now:
--A = Telco
--a = Telco
--B =
--b =
--C =
--c =

New
--ABC = Telco
--abc = Telco

Where caps (ABC) represent red wires and lower-case (abc) represent green
wires.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 24, 2:52 pm, thumor wrote:
Recently bought house. Phone jacks in almost every room.
Ordered new connection from Verizon. Works only in one room.
They say previous owners had atleast 3 lines. They had it wired that
way.
Asking for 95 for first line, and about 50 for each additional line to
rewire!!!!

Anybody else encountered this before?
Any solution / work around except wiring myself from inside using one-
to-many jacks
available in stores?

Thanks.

Were all your phones working on the same number before Verizon?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"thumor" wrote in message
oups.com...
Recently bought house. Phone jacks in almost every room.
Ordered new connection from Verizon. Works only in one room.
They say previous owners had atleast 3 lines. They had it wired that
way.
Asking for 95 for first line, and about 50 for each additional line to
rewire!!!!

Anybody else encountered this before?
Any solution / work around except wiring myself from inside using one-
to-many jacks
available in stores?

If the wiring is reasonably modern and orderly, then each of the lines
probably went to an interface box in the garage or basement or wherever the
wires enter the house from the street. The interface box is just a little
plastic thingy stuck to the wall with a phone jack on it. Everything leading
up to that phone jack belongs to Verizon. The wire that you plug into it and
everything after that belongs to you. If you're lucky, then you'll find
several interface boxes right next to each other with separate wires going
into each one. All you'll need to do is to get a splitter (one male plug and
multiple female jacks) and then plug that splitter into the working
interface box and then plug all the wires into it. To determine which is the
working interface box, just take a phone out to where the boxes are and try
each one.

However, I would still go with the solution of getting a multi-handset
cordless phone and plugging the base unit into the working jack.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Nick Danger" wrote:

However, I would still go with the solution of getting a multi-handset
cordless phone and plugging the base unit into the working jack.

Why??

Five minutes to rewire the NID, and all the jacks in the house work on a
single line. What's the big deal?

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..
In article , "Nick Danger"
wrote:

However, I would still go with the solution of getting a multi-handset
cordless phone and plugging the base unit into the working jack.

Why??

Five minutes to rewire the NID, and all the jacks in the house work on a
single line. What's the big deal?

Could be at the NID, could be at the wall blocks. In this place, when I
moved in, half the wall blocks had Y and B hooked to the center pins. Former
owner had 2 lines way back when, and didn't bother to rewire when he dropped
down to one. For the sake of the next owner, nicer to keep the color codes
consistent, and put all jacks on the correct pairs.

aem sends...

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
thumor wrote:

Recently bought house. Phone jacks in almost every room.
Ordered new connection from Verizon. Works only in one room.
They say previous owners had at least 3 lines

Reactivating the "correct" line to a formerly-multi-line premise is a crap
shoot under the best of circumstances.

The irony for me as an "insider" is that our systems KNOW which is the primary
line and which is secondary (and so on), yet we routinely fire-up the
SECONDARY (or other) line when only one line is reactivated.

If your home has a SNID (Standard Network Interface Device) AND you are handy
with 24-gauge wire and needle-nosed pliers, the "fix" for this is simple:

Inside the "Customer Access" door of the SNID, verify the working line and
move all the wires to THAT position and binding posts.

They had it wired that way.

That goes without saying.

Asking for 95 for first line, and about 50 for each
additional line to rewire!!!!

We're 99 and 60.

Forget all that crap. If you DON'T have a SNID, tell 'em you want all your
stuff to work or they should install a SNID (NO charge) so that you can do the
work yourself.

If you DO have a SNID, do the above procedure, relax and enjoy all your jacks.
--

JR

Climb poles and dig holes
Have staplegun, will travel

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

Recently bought house. Phone jacks in almost every room.
Ordered new connection from Verizon. Works only in one room.
They say previous owners had atleast 3 lines. They had it wired that
way.

If I had two other people here, I wouldn't want them to be able to
listen to my line from their rooms. So of course, each of the three
lines went to one room.

All you have to do is go down in the basement and remove two sets of
interior wiring from their (dead) connections to the outside, and put
them on top of the outside wire that has a dial tone. Then that
outside set of wires will go to all 3 rooms and probably every other
room. (Either it was line number one, or Verizon happened to pick the
line that had only one room connected to it.)

You can use any corded telephone and if it has a modular plug on the
end, get a surface mount box, plug it in to that, take the box cover
off, and attach wires with alligator clips on each end to the red and
blue screws. Use the other ends of the wire to search for the dial
tone.

Asking for 95 for first line, and about 50 for each additional line to
rewire!!!!

Anybody else encountered this before?
Any solution / work around except wiring myself from inside using one-
to-many jacks
available in stores?

I don't understand this sentence, but see above.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wow, Thanks a lot all of you for sharing valuable info.
To fix myself, I first need to identify the NID ( or SNID ) box.
Rest seems simple re-wiring and I am okay with that.
Thanks again.
Will update same post if I encounter any issues.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 28, 2:01 pm, thumor wrote:
Wow, Thanks a lot all of you for sharing valuable info.
To fix myself, I first need to identify the NID ( or SNID ) box.
Rest seems simple re-wiringand I am okay with that.
Thanks again.
Will update same post if I encounter any issues.

Guys, I am back. Took a while to get the time to attend to this.
Found the SNID box. There is one 'huge' black cable going into the
'Phone Company Access' side. There are to little wires coming out -
Blue and White.

On the Customer Access Side, on the left side there are connectors
labled LINE 1 to LINE 6.
The cable going (from the outside of the house) from the SNID and into
the house where I AM getting the dial tone.
This cable has its Red and Green connected to LINE 1. The other two
(Black and Yellow) are unconnected.
Could not locate the lines/ cables that are going into the phone jacks
of the other rooms.
I believe that I would have to 'plug' them into the LINE1 for them to
work. But I cannot locate them.
Some pointers to resolve this would help.
Thanks again.

-----

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 6, 12:21 pm, thumor wrote:
On Sep 28, 2:01 pm, thumor wrote:

[...]

Okay, here we go again.
There are multiple cables coming in from the Phone Company.
ONE was going INTO the SNID box outside the house (garage wall). Two
others were going INTO the garage.
The one inside is a metal box with 'Bell Systems' engraved on the
cover.
Inside the cover, there are four solid copper cables going in AND some
multi-strand cables as well.
These multi-strands have thin strands of Red, White, Yellow and Green
wires tangled into a web and attached to the connectors of the Box.
All the Solid ones and the Multi-strands are clipped onto four screw-
bars like electrical connectors.
Of course some are coming 'out' and going into the walls of the house
in various directions.

So the 'rest' of the house was wired using the 'older' Bell box and
the ONE room line was done later on.
Since this latest line is the only one activated, how do I get the
'line' to the rest of the house?

Thanks again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

thumor wrote:
On Oct 6, 12:21 pm, thumor wrote:
On Sep 28, 2:01 pm, thumor wrote:

[...]

Disconnect the old drop wire that comes from the pole or pedestal to the
old Bell System breakout box leaving the house jack wires as the only
wires connected in it. Now run one four wire cable between the Network
Interface Device (NID) and the old Bell System breakout box. Connect
the Green & Red or the blue and white with blue tracer of your new cable
to the green and red wires in the old Bell System breakout box. Unplug
the jumper from the line one test jack in the NID. The jumper may take
the form of a short cord or it may be a cover over the line one jack
itself that has the connecting jumper built in to the cover so that the
line is connected to the drop wire when the cover is closed. You open
the jumper so that you will not get hit with ringing current while you
make your final connections. Now connect the two wires from the new
cable you just ran to the green and red screws in the NID. Once you are
done with those connections and you have closed up the old Bell System
breakout box you can plug the jumper back into the line one jack. All
of your home's jacks that are connected to the old Bell System breakout
box should now work. As for the other wires in your new piece of cable
just curl them back around the cable in the same way the communications
wireman has already done some of them.
--
Tom Horne

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 6, 3:01 pm, Tom Horne wrote:
thumor wrote:
On Oct 6, 12:21 pm, thumor wrote:
On Sep 28, 2:01 pm, thumor wrote:

[...]

Thanks Tom.
I did make the connections as mentioned.
1. Ran a 4-wire cable from the NEW NID to the old box.
2. Connected red and green to LINE 1 of NID.
3. Connected same red and green to one-each strand of the older
cables.

All jacks now get a dial tone and I do not have to run any cables
inside the house.
Great!!!!!!

Thanks all of you again.
Tejas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote Re Phone wiring:

Recently bought house. Phone jacks in almost every room.
Ordered new connection from Verizon. Works only in one room.
They say previous owners had atleast 3 lines. They had it wired that
way.
Asking for 95 for first line, and about 50 for each additional line to
rewire!!!!

Anybody else encountered this before?
Any solution / work around except wiring myself from inside using one-
to-many jacks
available in stores?

Thanks.

How about one of those 4-handset wireless phones. Plug the base into
the desired wall outlet and spread the other three handsets wherever.
Like this:http://www.amazon.com/Vtech-i6787-Co...wering/dp/B000...

-- Like this:http://www.amazon.com/Vtech-i6787-Cordless-Didgital-
Answering/dp/B000...

Do Not Buy This Phone Set!!

Seriously - It's haunted or something. I bought that exact set at
BJ's. I put the answering machine in the kitchen, a charger/handset in
my bedroom and a charger/handset in each of the teenager's rooms.

Within hours, all 4 handsets ended up in the teenager's rooms.
Sometimes all 4 handsets end up in one room. I'll go collect them,
put them back in their chargers, and within hours all 4 handsets end
up in the teenager's room, sometimes all 4 handsets in one room. It
never stops. I swear it happens even when the teenagers aren't home.

It must be the handsets.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
thumor wrote:

All jacks now get a dial tone and I do not have to
run any cables inside the house. Great!!!!!!

Congratulations!

I sometimes frustrates me that those that SHOULDN'T mess with phone wires do
so freely and those that are probably more than qualified are reluctant to do
so.

I once encountered an old farmer burying 3-phase electric power to his grain
driers. I told him that HE could do the INSIDE phone wiring his order called
for.

"Oh, I don't mess with telephone wires!" was his reply! Incredible.
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Within hours, all 4 handsets ended up in the teenager's rooms.
Sometimes all 4 handsets end up in one room. I'll go collect them,
put them back in their chargers, and within hours all 4 handsets end
up in the teenager's room, sometimes all 4 handsets in one room. It
never stops. I swear it happens even when the teenagers aren't home.

It must be the handsets.

Corded phones have a distinct advantage in this regard.
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sep 24, 3:03 pm, Caesar Romano wrote:

(snip)

Do Not Buy This Phone Set!!

Seriously - It's haunted or something. I bought that exact set at
BJ's. I put the answering machine in the kitchen, a charger/handset in
my bedroom and a charger/handset in each of the teenager's rooms.

Within hours, all 4 handsets ended up in the teenager's rooms.
Sometimes all 4 handsets end up in one room. I'll go collect them,
put them back in their chargers, and within hours all 4 handsets end
up in the teenager's room, sometimes all 4 handsets in one room. It
never stops. I swear it happens even when the teenagers aren't home.

It must be the handsets.

Chuckle. Teenagers are the best argument AGAINST cordless phones. Give
them away, and go back to hard-mounted real phones- one on kitchen wall,
with a short cord so they have to keep standing, and one in the master
bedroom.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote Re Phone wiring:

[...]

Put hidden cameras in the teenagers' rooms and post the videos. Some
people would like to see those walking handsets.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 28, thumor wrote, in part:
Wow, Thanks a lot all of you for sharing valuable info.
To fix myself, I first need to identify the NID ( or SNID ) box.
Rest seems simple re-wiring and I am okay with that.

Thanks from me, too, to all who posted in this thread, as I had the
same question. But one followup (as, unlike the OP, I'm _not_ okay
with simple rewiring :-) ). These are gonna be live wires, no?
(Very little current, but still some.) So what do I use to handle
them?

Thanks,

Michael Hamm

Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

On Sep 28, thumor wrote, in part:
Wow, Thanks a lot all of you for sharing valuable info.
To fix myself, I first need to identify the NID ( or SNID ) box.
Rest seems simple re-wiring and I am okay with that.

Thanks from me, too, to all who posted in this thread, as I had the
same question. But one followup (as, unlike the OP, I'm _not_ okay
with simple rewiring :-) ). These are gonna be live wires, no?
(Very little current, but still some.) So what do I use to handle
them?

Thanks,

Michael Hamm

Go to a major electrical supply - not the big box stores - and tell them you
want a complete ARC FLASH SETUP. That will do you up fine.
--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tekkie® wrote:
posted for all of us...

On Sep 28, thumor wrote, in part:

Wow, Thanks a lot all of you for sharing valuable info.
To fix myself, I first need to identify the NID ( or SNID ) box.
Rest seems simple re-wiring and I am okay with that.

Thanks from me, too, to all who posted in this thread, as I had the
same question. But one followup (as, unlike the OP, I'm _not_ okay
with simple rewiring :-) ). These are gonna be live wires, no?
(Very little current, but still some.) So what do I use to handle
them?

Thanks,

Michael Hamm

Go to a major electrical supply - not the big box stores - and tell them you
want a complete ARC FLASH SETUP. That will do you up fine.

*snort*

OK, in all seriousness. the max you can get from a phone wire is
60-100V and that is only when the phone is ringing. That IS
theoretically enough to kill you but most likely will just give you a
jolt. It won't arc-weld that little wire to anything metal nearby, or
cause dramatic flashes of lightning. So just wear shoes and avoid
touching bare copper when at all possible. If you feel that there is a
good possibility that someone will call you while you are working and
don't want to risk it just unplug the main connection in your NID and
then the whole house will be dead so you can work without worry.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 19, I wrote, in part:
These are gonna be live wires, no? (Very little current,
but still some.) So what do I use to handle them?

Thanks to Messrs. Nagel, Redelfs, and Lloyd, and anyone else whose
response I didn't see.

Michael Hamm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 9:00 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
Tekkie® wrote:
posted for all of us...

[...]

Agreed there is a small 'jolt' to withstand. But normal adults
wouldn't even feel it.
Believe me, it IS safe.

And then going back to the original.
Even though this should be in some other thread, here is something
else that came up.

I had Verizon DSL for my computer.
In the original setting where I had 'incoming' dial at only one place,
I had the rest of the phone lines
using the little 'boxed cables' that they sent with the installation
kit.
After rewiring as above, Internet was going slow.
Fortunately they ( Verizon) sent me 4 of those boxed wires which I
used for EACH of the phone lines in all
the different rooms and then I was fine with my Internet.

Of course, I could 'open' up one of the boxed wires and connect to the
'inside' phone box
( kinda like series connection ) to take care of the 'phone line
noise'.
Then I would not have to worry about phone lines in the rest of the
house affecting the DSL.

Just something to keep in mind.