Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Another Phone Wiring Q

Hi all

Thought I'd covered all angles but hey ho...

Following previous posts, I had decided to fit the Clarity style splitter at
the master box and take A & B to the loft on one cable and filtered phone on
another.
Unfortunately, the front door opens past the masterbox IYSWIM, so the larger
offstand of the faceplate splitter is likely to be an issue.
Is there a neater faceplate which will allow me to take A & B into the loft
and fit a second master box up there?
I don't want to wire direct to the incomers as this ist verboten

TIA

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi all

Thought I'd covered all angles but hey ho...

Following previous posts, I had decided to fit the Clarity style splitter
at the master box and take A & B to the loft on one cable and filtered
phone on another.
Unfortunately, the front door opens past the masterbox IYSWIM, so the
larger offstand of the faceplate splitter is likely to be an issue.
Is there a neater faceplate which will allow me to take A & B into the
loft and fit a second master box up there?
I don't want to wire direct to the incomers as this ist verboten

TIA

Phil

I haven't seen any flush filtered faceplates.

If you don't plug anything into the from of the master socket, then how
about this...

Run the two wires to the loft, as you were going to.
Leave the normal BT faceplate on,
connect one set of wires to terminals 2 & 5 (Using a pair, usually blue) of
the BT faceplate.
Install a second master socket upstairs, connecting to the A&B
Install the filtered faceplate on this master socket
Connect the second wire run to terminals 2,3 and 5 (keeping 2&5 on a pair
(blue))
Connect the other end of this cable to your extension wiring using either
the jelly connectors BT use, tucked inside the master socket, or one of
these next to the master socket.
http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/images/78A.jpg

If you do use the socket on the front of the master socket, then stop using
it and install another extension, fed from the new wiring from the loft,
next to the master socket.

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Sparks" wrote

Run the two wires to the loft, as you were going to.
Leave the normal BT faceplate on,
connect one set of wires to terminals 2 & 5 (Using a pair, usually blue)
of the BT faceplate.
Install a second master socket upstairs, connecting to the A&B

Thanks Sparks

To clarify, do the incoming service provider terminals A and B just "pass
through" the normal masterbox and present as pins 2 and 5?
Does it matter which is which ie pin 2 to terminal A and pin 5 to terminal
B? (so I can get it right on the masterbox in the loft).

So there's nothing to stop me setting this up ahead of the broadband
install:

Transfer the location of the incoming A & B terminals to the loft via
existing cable using 2 cores only
Connect this to A & B in new masterbox
Fit ADSL faceplate splitter to new masterbox
Connect existing extensions to 2, 3 and 5 terminals of spitter.

Wait for broadband setup from provider!

Last question...

How do I connect terminals A & B in new loft masterbox to an RJ11 socket for
modem/router? Which pins do terminals A & B become in the RJ11?

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message
news

"Sparks" wrote

Run the two wires to the loft, as you were going to.
Leave the normal BT faceplate on,
connect one set of wires to terminals 2 & 5 (Using a pair, usually blue)
of the BT faceplate.
Install a second master socket upstairs, connecting to the A&B

Thanks Sparks

To clarify, do the incoming service provider terminals A and B just "pass
through" the normal masterbox and present as pins 2 and 5?

Yes

Does it matter which is which ie pin 2 to terminal A and pin 5 to terminal
B? (so I can get it right on the masterbox in the loft).

Strictly speaking, yes, A is 2 and B is 5, but in practice it doesn't
usually matter.

So there's nothing to stop me setting this up ahead of the broadband
install:

Nope!

Transfer the location of the incoming A & B terminals to the loft via
existing cable using 2 cores only
Connect this to A & B in new masterbox
Fit ADSL faceplate splitter to new masterbox
Connect existing extensions to 2, 3 and 5 terminals of spitter.

I assume you mean the filtered face plate here?

Wait for broadband setup from provider!

Last question...

How do I connect terminals A & B in new loft masterbox to an RJ11 socket
for modem/router? Which pins do terminals A & B become in the RJ11?

The middle pair - Assuming you are putting the router in the loft, just use
a filtered faceplate up there, plug the router to the RJ11 of that, this
will be easier and neater :-)

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Sparks" wrote

Assuming you are putting the router in the loft, just use a filtered
faceplate up there, plug the router to the RJ11 of that, this will be
easier and neater :-)

Doh - how obvious is that!

Thanks for all the help, Sparks

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message
news

"Sparks" wrote

Assuming you are putting the router in the loft, just use a filtered
faceplate up there, plug the router to the RJ11 of that, this will be
easier and neater :-)

Doh - how obvious is that!

Thanks for all the help, Sparks

Phil

:-) No probs

You might find this site interesting...
http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wi...telephone.html

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:

Unfortunately, the front door opens past the masterbox IYSWIM, so the larger
offstand of the faceplate splitter is likely to be an issue.

Is the existing socket mounted on a pattress? If so could replace it
with a ordinary metal back box and sink it into the wall to gain more
"depth".

Is there a neater faceplate which will allow me to take A & B into the loft
and fit a second master box up there?

Is the master socket used? If not, leave it alone, take you feed
upstairs and use something like:

ADSL-FFP85D on http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm

This will then let you take both filtered and unfiltered connections to
other sockets from there.

I don't want to wire direct to the incomers as this ist verboten

No need, and not desireable anyway.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:

To clarify, do the incoming service provider terminals A and B just "pass
through" the normal masterbox and present as pins 2 and 5?

Sort of... however the master socket will also include a surge arrestor
which will be wired across A and B - so 2 & 5 are not exactly the same
as A & B in that sense.

Does it matter which is which ie pin 2 to terminal A and pin 5 to terminal
B? (so I can get it right on the masterbox in the loft).

There is a right way - however most things will work even if you get it
wrong.

See the circus diagram he

http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wi...telephone.html

So there's nothing to stop me setting this up ahead of the broadband
install:

Transfer the location of the incoming A & B terminals to the loft via
existing cable using 2 cores only
Connect this to A & B in new masterbox

You can use a PBX master here (or a bog standard extension socket and
add a ring cap) - no need for duplicate surge arrestor or test resistor.

Fit ADSL faceplate splitter to new masterbox
Connect existing extensions to 2, 3 and 5 terminals of spitter.

Yup... or just take two wires to extensions and use ring caps on the
back of each. Saves having the unbalanced third wire.

Wait for broadband setup from provider!

Last question...

How do I connect terminals A & B in new loft masterbox to an RJ11 socket for
modem/router?

Assuming you are using a splitter of some design, it will provide you
with a RJ11 socket for the router, and the router should come with the
appropriate wire to plug into it.

Which pins do terminals A & B become in the RJ11?

The middle two.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 12:26:07 -0000 someone who may be "TheScullster"
wrote this:-

Unfortunately, the front door opens past the masterbox IYSWIM, so the larger
offstand of the faceplate splitter is likely to be an issue.

If this is a problem then it would also be a problem plugging a
phone into the existing socket and arranging it so that the door
does not strike the cable.

When installed the Clarity filter sticks out 2cm from the front of
the NTE5.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Phone extension wiring RG UK diy 25 April 11th 05 05:26 PM
Phone Jack Wiring ? Robert11 Home Repair 3 March 29th 05 01:16 AM
Phone wiring [email protected] Home Ownership 3 August 8th 04 04:09 PM
phone wiring question... gothika Electronics Repair 2 July 18th 03 11:16 AM
Help w/ Phone Wiring barry martin Home Repair 0 June 26th 03 02:28 AM