Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sparks Sparks is offline

Default Another Phone Wiring Q

"TheScullster" wrote in message
news

"Sparks" wrote

Run the two wires to the loft, as you were going to.
Leave the normal BT faceplate on,
connect one set of wires to terminals 2 & 5 (Using a pair, usually blue)
of the BT faceplate.
Install a second master socket upstairs, connecting to the A&B

Thanks Sparks

To clarify, do the incoming service provider terminals A and B just "pass
through" the normal masterbox and present as pins 2 and 5?

Yes

Does it matter which is which ie pin 2 to terminal A and pin 5 to terminal
B? (so I can get it right on the masterbox in the loft).

Strictly speaking, yes, A is 2 and B is 5, but in practice it doesn't
usually matter.

So there's nothing to stop me setting this up ahead of the broadband
install:

Nope!

Transfer the location of the incoming A & B terminals to the loft via
existing cable using 2 cores only
Connect this to A & B in new masterbox
Fit ADSL faceplate splitter to new masterbox
Connect existing extensions to 2, 3 and 5 terminals of spitter.

I assume you mean the filtered face plate here?

Wait for broadband setup from provider!

Last question...

How do I connect terminals A & B in new loft masterbox to an RJ11 socket
for modem/router? Which pins do terminals A & B become in the RJ11?

The middle pair - Assuming you are putting the router in the loft, just use
a filtered faceplate up there, plug the router to the RJ11 of that, this
will be easier and neater :-)

Sparks...