Posted to alt.home.repair
thumor thumor is offline

Default Phone wiring

On Oct 6, 12:21 pm, thumor wrote:
On Sep 28, 2:01 pm, thumor wrote:

Wow, Thanks a lot all of you for sharing valuable info.
To fix myself, I first need to identify the NID ( or SNID ) box.
Rest seems simple re-wiringand I am okay with that.
Thanks again.
Will update same post if I encounter any issues.

Guys, I am back. Took a while to get the time to attend to this.
Found the SNID box. There is one 'huge' black cable going into the
'PhoneCompany Access' side. There are to little wires coming out -
Blue and White.

On the Customer Access Side, on the left side there are connectors
labled LINE 1 to LINE 6.
The cable going (from the outside of the house) from the SNID and into
the house where I AM getting the dial tone.
This cable has its Red and Green connected to LINE 1. The other two
(Black and Yellow) are unconnected.
Could not locate the lines/ cables that are going into thephonejacks
of the other rooms.
I believe that I would have to 'plug' them into the LINE1 for them to
work. But I cannot locate them.
Some pointers to resolve this would help.
Thanks again.

-----

Okay, here we go again.
There are multiple cables coming in from the Phone Company.
ONE was going INTO the SNID box outside the house (garage wall). Two
others were going INTO the garage.
The one inside is a metal box with 'Bell Systems' engraved on the
cover.
Inside the cover, there are four solid copper cables going in AND some
multi-strand cables as well.
These multi-strands have thin strands of Red, White, Yellow and Green
wires tangled into a web and attached to the connectors of the Box.
All the Solid ones and the Multi-strands are clipped onto four screw-
bars like electrical connectors.
Of course some are coming 'out' and going into the walls of the house
in various directions.

So the 'rest' of the house was wired using the 'older' Bell box and
the ONE room line was done later on.
Since this latest line is the only one activated, how do I get the
'line' to the rest of the house?

Thanks again.