Posted to alt.home.repair
thumor thumor is offline

Default Phone wiring

On Oct 21, 9:00 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
Tekkie® wrote:
posted for all of us...

On Sep 28, thumor wrote, in part:

Wow, Thanks a lot all of you for sharing valuable info.
To fix myself, I first need to identify the NID ( or SNID ) box.
Rest seems simple re-wiring and I am okay with that.

Thanks from me, too, to all who posted in this thread, as I had the
same question. But one followup (as, unlike the OP, I'm _not_ okay
with simple rewiring :-) ). These are gonna be live wires, no?
(Very little current, but still some.) So what do I use to handle
them?

Thanks,

Michael Hamm

Go to a major electrical supply - not the big box stores - and tell them you
want a complete ARC FLASH SETUP. That will do you up fine.

*snort*

OK, in all seriousness. the max you can get from a phone wire is
60-100V and that is only when the phone is ringing. That IS
theoretically enough to kill you but most likely will just give you a
jolt. It won't arc-weld that little wire to anything metal nearby, or
cause dramatic flashes of lightning. So just wear shoes and avoid
touching bare copper when at all possible. If you feel that there is a
good possibility that someone will call you while you are working and
don't want to risk it just unplug the main connection in your NID and
then the whole house will be dead so you can work without worry.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Agreed there is a small 'jolt' to withstand. But normal adults
wouldn't even feel it.
Believe me, it IS safe.

And then going back to the original.
Even though this should be in some other thread, here is something
else that came up.

I had Verizon DSL for my computer.
In the original setting where I had 'incoming' dial at only one place,
I had the rest of the phone lines
using the little 'boxed cables' that they sent with the installation
kit.
After rewiring as above, Internet was going slow.
Fortunately they ( Verizon) sent me 4 of those boxed wires which I
used for EACH of the phone lines in all
the different rooms and then I was fine with my Internet.

Of course, I could 'open' up one of the boxed wires and connect to the
'inside' phone box
( kinda like series connection ) to take care of the 'phone line
noise'.
Then I would not have to worry about phone lines in the rest of the
house affecting the DSL.

Just something to keep in mind.