Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

Default lead solder in water line

I'd just finished installing a in-line water filter when I discovered a 2nd
spool of solder mixed in my work area. I know that I had one set that was
lead-free, but don't know about the 2nd. Now I am unsure which I used on my
pipes, the lead-free or the unknown. Unfortunately neither were labeled. I
only soldered 2 joints in the pipe, would it be worth the effort to undo my
work just to redo it with known lead-free solder? I don't know the danger
level of potentially having solder with lead in my incoming water lines.

I tried looking up if there was any way to differentiate between lead-free
solder & solder with lead, but couldn't find anything.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 3, 8:51 am, wrote:
I'd just finished installing a in-line water filter when I discovered a 2nd
spool of solder mixed in my work area. I know that I had one set that was
lead-free, but don't know about the 2nd. Now I am unsure which I used on my
pipes, the lead-free or the unknown. Unfortunately neither were labeled. I
only soldered 2 joints in the pipe, would it be worth the effort to undo my
work just to redo it with known lead-free solder? I don't know the danger
level of potentially having solder with lead in my incoming water lines.

I tried looking up if there was any way to differentiate between lead-free
solder & solder with lead, but couldn't find anything.

I wouldn't worry about it.

How many older solder joints (leaded) do you have in the system?
Will two new joints make that much diffference?

What's the local water chemistry like? Acidic water will leak more
lead.

When solder is on the spool, lead free looks shiny, leaded looks dull.

When soldered into a joint I find it more difficult to discern the
difference but again the leaded stuff looks dull.

There are test kits to check for leaded vs lead-free.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message ...
I'd just finished installing a in-line water filter when I discovered a
2nd spool of solder mixed in my work area. I know that I had one set that
was lead-free, but don't know about the 2nd. Now I am unsure which I used
on my pipes, the lead-free or the unknown. Unfortunately neither were
labeled. I only soldered 2 joints in the pipe, would it be worth the
effort to undo my work just to redo it with known lead-free solder? I
don't know the danger level of potentially having solder with lead in my
incoming water lines.

Don't sweat it. Years ago all joints were lead based and it was not much of
a problem. Two joints would probably not even be readable on a test kit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 12:29:58 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

wrote in message ...
I'd just finished installing a in-line water filter when I discovered a
2nd spool of solder mixed in my work area. I know that I had one set that
was lead-free, but don't know about the 2nd. Now I am unsure which I used
on my pipes, the lead-free or the unknown. Unfortunately neither were
labeled. I only soldered 2 joints in the pipe, would it be worth the
effort to undo my work just to redo it with known lead-free solder? I
don't know the danger level of potentially having solder with lead in my
incoming water lines.

Don't sweat it. Years ago all joints were lead based and it was not much of
a problem. Two joints would probably not even be readable on a test kit.

He already "sweat it".

To the OP, it's too late now. You will be dead in a few hours.
Start making a lead coffin with the remaining solder.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Art Todesco" wrote in message

And, even in the US, many areas used lead pipes early on.

When I sold my house in Philadelphia (1981), it sill had the original lead
service pipe from 1948. Hundreds of homes were built with lead mains about
that time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I'd just finished installing a in-line water filter when I discovered a 2nd
spool of solder mixed in my work area. I know that I had one set that was
lead-free, but don't know about the 2nd. Now I am unsure which I used on my
pipes, the lead-free or the unknown. Unfortunately neither were labeled. I
only soldered 2 joints in the pipe, would it be worth the effort to undo my
work just to redo it with known lead-free solder? I don't know the danger
level of potentially having solder with lead in my incoming water lines.

I tried looking up if there was any way to differentiate between lead-free
solder & solder with lead, but couldn't find anything.

I am curious about that too. I am thinking that there is a very small
amount of surface area of solder exposed to the water, and that prior
to 1990 or whenever they banned leaded solder, every copper water pipe
in the country was soldered with tin-lead solder, without much in the
way of bad effects. Also if your water is like ours, it tends to line
the inside of the pipes with minerals anyway. But, then why did they
ban leaded solder?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Heathcliff wrote:

I tried looking up if there was any way to differentiate between lead-free
solder & solder with lead, but couldn't find anything.

I am curious about that too. I am thinking that there is a very small
amount of surface area of solder exposed to the water, and that prior
to 1990 or whenever they banned leaded solder, every copper water pipe
in the country was soldered with tin-lead solder, without much in the
way of bad effects. Also if your water is like ours, it tends to line
the inside of the pipes with minerals anyway. But, then why did they
ban leaded solder?

Because lead is bad for you and some does get sucked inside soldered
joints when they're sweated. Enough small pieces adds up to enough to
be a concentration of potential for concern, apparently...

I think solder has composition on the roll somewhere. Any plumbers'
solder in the US (other than, of course, something imported that might
not meet US guidelines) will currently be lead-free. Electronics
solders and other special-purpose solders may still contain varying
amounts of lead...

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

Ok, well thanks to everyone who replied. I guess I have little to worry
about. My house was built in the 70s & has the original plumbing, so it
sounds like it probably has lead solder in the other joints too. I suppose
a little more isn't going to make much of a difference.

wrote in message ...
I'd just finished installing a in-line water filter when I discovered a
2nd spool of solder mixed in my work area. I know that I had one set that
was lead-free, but don't know about the 2nd. Now I am unsure which I used
on my pipes, the lead-free or the unknown. Unfortunately neither were
labeled. I only soldered 2 joints in the pipe, would it be worth the
effort to undo my work just to redo it with known lead-free solder? I
don't know the danger level of potentially having solder with lead in my
incoming water lines.

I tried looking up if there was any way to differentiate between lead-free
solder & solder with lead, but couldn't find anything.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Heathcliff wrote:

I am curious about that too. I am thinking that there is a very small
amount of surface area of solder exposed to the water, and that prior
to 1990 or whenever they banned leaded solder, every copper water pipe
in the country was soldered with tin-lead solder, without much in the
way of bad effects. Also if your water is like ours, it tends to line
the inside of the pipes with minerals anyway. But, then why did they
ban leaded solder?

Because the "WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!" crowd are very loud.

Yet more on lead-free solder n cook Electronics Repair 11 August 12th 07 03:12 AM
lead free solder with voc free water base bick Electronics Repair 11 May 17th 07 04:56 PM
Lead-Free vs. 63/37 tin/lead solder [email protected] Electronics Repair 28 June 17th 06 12:29 PM
Lead Free solder Michael Chare UK diy 38 March 4th 06 04:56 PM
Lead based solder 4square UK diy 34 May 2nd 05 03:07 PM