Posted to alt.home.repair
Heathcliff Heathcliff is offline

Default lead solder in water line

wrote:
I'd just finished installing a in-line water filter when I discovered a 2nd
spool of solder mixed in my work area. I know that I had one set that was
lead-free, but don't know about the 2nd. Now I am unsure which I used on my
pipes, the lead-free or the unknown. Unfortunately neither were labeled. I
only soldered 2 joints in the pipe, would it be worth the effort to undo my
work just to redo it with known lead-free solder? I don't know the danger
level of potentially having solder with lead in my incoming water lines.

I tried looking up if there was any way to differentiate between lead-free
solder & solder with lead, but couldn't find anything.

I am curious about that too. I am thinking that there is a very small
amount of surface area of solder exposed to the water, and that prior
to 1990 or whenever they banned leaded solder, every copper water pipe
in the country was soldered with tin-lead solder, without much in the
way of bad effects. Also if your water is like ours, it tends to line
the inside of the pipes with minerals anyway. But, then why did they
ban leaded solder?