Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Chicken bones and Kenmore disposal

Our home garbage disposal is a Kenmore model, recommended to us by our
longtime trusted appliance repair guy. I think it's a 3/4 hp model;
it's certainly a big one.

One thing this disposal does not do that previous Insinkerator models
did well is dispose of chicken bones. The Insinkerators would, in 30
seconds or less, take several chicken drumsticks and flush them and the
disposal would again run quietly.

By contrast, the Kenmore gets rid of MOST of the bone, but has problems
with the cartilage, and the small chips of the bone just rattle around
making noise and getting stuck under the grinders (or whatever the sharp
twirly projections in the disposal are called, that grind the garbage).
Yesterday, I pulled out of the disposal a large heaping handful of
cartilage bits and pulverized and smooth-edged bits of bone, and the
disposal is still making rattling noises.

Is this normal? Understand, the disposal doesn't balk at chicken bones
going into it (we've never ever tried turkey bones) - it smoothly chops
them up in seconds. What it's failing to do is chop up the small pieces
and flush them out.

If this isn't normal, what are some simple fixes/adjustments I might
make to correct this?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 19, 7:47 am, trader-of-some-jacks
wrote:
[...]

Yes, stop putting all that crap in the disposal to begin with.
Disposals are great, but IMO, they should be used for the occasional
scraps of food from washing, prep-work, etc, not the main vehicle for
getting rid of bulk garbage. For example, if I do prep work peeling
vegs, I'll scoop most of it out of the sink and toss it in the trash,
then wash the remaining down the disposal. I think the more stuff
you send down there, the more problems you're asking for, either with
clogged pipes, septic tanks (if u have one), etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

....and more solids that the water treatment plants have to get rid of in
municipal sewer systems.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader-of-some-jacks wrote:
Our home garbage disposal is a Kenmore model, recommended to us by our
longtime trusted appliance repair guy. I think it's a 3/4 hp model;
it's certainly a big one.

[...]

If this isn't normal, what are some simple fixes/adjustments I might
make to correct this?

It's not normal. The disposal should be able to handle chicken bones,
T-bones, corn cobs, marbles, beer bottles, or any non-fibrous thing put down
its throat. (I say non-fibrous because mine had trouble with paper towels).

I'd have a chat with my "trusted appliance repair guy." Also Kenmore.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 09:09:49 -0400, willshak wrote:

...and more solids that the water treatment plants have to get rid of in
municipal sewer systems.

Some people might care about this, but I don't.
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 8/19/2007 2:25 PM Kuskokwim said the following:
On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 09:09:49 -0400, willshak wrote:

...and more solids that the water treatment plants have to get rid of in
municipal sewer systems.

Some people might care about this, but I don't.

You will, when your taxes go up because they have to expand the plant.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

You're wrong. That's not what they're for and anyone with a brain, does not
use them in that manner.

You are an exception. Most people consider their disposal "the main
vehicle
for getting rid of bulk garbage."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 14:54:29 -0500, Steve Barker wrote:

You are an exception. Most people consider their disposal "the main
vehicle
for getting rid of bulk garbage."

You're wrong. That's not what they're for and anyone with a brain, does not
use them in that manner.

Then why are they called a "garbage disposer (or disposal)"?

You get rid of your garbage with them. I have been doing it for years and
have never had a problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

-
- You get rid of your garbage with them. I have been doing it for
years and
- have never had a problem.

At the risk of feeding the troll, I really gotta ask why.

My Insinkerator claims to be able handle just about anything up to and
including a small car, but I have no idea why I would want to use it
in that manner.

Let's see...I'm done eating a plate full of corn on the cob, fried
chicken, spare ribs, mashed potatoes and baked beans. Now I've got a
choice of where to dump the remains. I've got this plastic thing with
a 150 square inch opening that requires no electricity or water, and
I've got this motorized thing with a 9 square inch opening that
comes with a switch and a faucet.

Choice 1 - Tilt plate over 150 sq in opening, maybe scrape with a
fork, put plate in dishwasher.
Choice 2 - Tilt plate, maybe scrape with a fork, turn on switch, turn
on faucet, manuver some bones, cobs and other debris into 9 sq in,
push it in, manuver some more debris over to the 9 sq in opening,
push it in, repeat until all debris is gone, rinse out sink, turn off
switch, turn off faucet, put plate in dishwasher.

Please tell me why I would opt for Choice 2?

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 8/19/2007 9:48 PM DerbyDad03 said the following:
[...]

So you don't have to take out the garbage?
I like to support the sanitation men. They have families, you know.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 18:48:40 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Let's see...I'm done eating a plate full of corn on the cob, fried
chicken, spare ribs, mashed potatoes and baked beans. Now I've got a
choice of where to dump the remains. I've got this plastic thing with
a 150 square inch opening that requires no electricity or water, and
I've got this motorized thing with a 9 square inch opening that
comes with a switch and a faucet.

Choice 1 - Tilt plate over 150 sq in opening, maybe scrape with a
fork, put plate in dishwasher.
Choice 2 - Tilt plate, maybe scrape with a fork, turn on switch, turn
on faucet, manuver some bones, cobs and other debris into 9 sq in,
push it in, manuver some more debris over to the 9 sq in opening,
push it in, repeat until all debris is gone, rinse out sink, turn off
switch, turn off faucet, put plate in dishwasher.

Please tell me why I would opt for Choice 2?

Because the contents of the container you are using for choice 1 will start
to smell after a short period of time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 21:57:05 -0400, willshak wrote:

Choice 1 - Tilt plate over 150 sq in opening, maybe scrape with a
fork, put plate in dishwasher.
Choice 2 - Tilt plate, maybe scrape with a fork, turn on switch, turn
on faucet, manuver some bones, cobs and other debris into 9 sq in,
push it in, manuver some more debris over to the 9 sq in opening,
push it in, repeat until all debris is gone, rinse out sink, turn off
switch, turn off faucet, put plate in dishwasher.

Please tell me why I would opt for Choice 2?

So you don't have to take out the garbage?
I like to support the sanitation men. They have families, you know.

I like my sanitation man. I give him some cash at Christmas. I also try to
make his job more pleasant by putting the things that will smell to high
heaven if put in the trash down my garbage disposer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 15:43:49 -0400, willshak wrote:

on 8/19/2007 2:25 PM Kuskokwim said the following:
On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 09:09:49 -0400, willshak wrote:

...and more solids that the water treatment plants have to get rid of in
municipal sewer systems.

Some people might care about this, but I don't.

You will, when your taxes go up because they have to expand the plant.

No I won't. Possible tax increases were factored in when, years ago, I
decided not to care about the sewage treatment plant's capacity problems.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" If this isn't normal, what are some simple fixes/adjustments I might
make to correct this?

The easy fix: Don't put chicken bones in the disposal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The only reason i can see that you would choose option #2 is that you like
having clogged pipes and a ruined septic system. Sewers are even worse,
cause of the long horizontal runs they usually involve.

steve

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
ups.com...

Choice 1 - Tilt plate over 150 sq in opening, maybe scrape with a
fork, put plate in dishwasher.
Choice 2 - Tilt plate, maybe scrape with a fork, turn on switch, turn
on faucet, manuver some bones, cobs and other debris into 9 sq in,
push it in, manuver some more debris over to the 9 sq in opening,
push it in, repeat until all debris is gone, rinse out sink, turn off
switch, turn off faucet, put plate in dishwasher.

Please tell me why I would opt for Choice 2?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 19, 10:16 pm, Kuskokwim wrote:
[...]

Similiar to the smell of a troll feeding at the trough of a.h.r...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 19, 8:47 am, trader-of-some-jacks
wrote:
Our home garbage disposal is a Kenmore model, recommended to us by our
longtime trusted appliance rep[snip]

Thank goodness the rest of the world doesn't have your philosophy on
waste disposal. If everyone had garbage disposals and used them like
you your city would need a waste treatment plant that would cover half
the county, a staff that would increase equally, and energy costs to
run the plant,.... And who would pay for all that???? I personally
think garbage disposals should be made illegal. If your sink clogged
up then you could support the economy by paying a plumber, or God
forbid, get your hands dirty and do it yourself. Get a garbage can or
a goat.

Harry

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Our home garbage disposal is a Kenmore model, recommended to us by our
longtime trusted appliance rep[snip]

Thank goodness the rest of the world doesn't have your philosophy on
waste disposal. If everyone had garbage disposals and used them like
you your city would need a waste treatment plant that would cover half
the county, a staff that would increase equally, and energy costs to
run the plant,.... And who would pay for all that???? I personally
think garbage disposals should be made illegal. If your sink clogged
up then you could support the economy by paying a plumber, or God
forbid, get your hands dirty and do it yourself. Get a garbage can or
a goat.

Harry

If I remember correctly the instructions for our disposal encouraged
small chicken bones and the like as it keeps the blades sharp. I also
agree that it's great for keeping rancid odors out of the kitchen
trash can. It's annoying and wasteful to have to take a half-filled
bag out of the kitchen trash can because it stinks so bad.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Understand, the disposal doesn't balk at chicken bones
going into it (we've never ever tried turkey bones) - it smoothly chops
them up in seconds. What it's failing to do is chop up the small pieces
and flush them out.

If this isn't normal, what are some simple fixes/adjustments I might
make to correct this?

I think it's the -new- "normal", mine operates similarly, it doesn't
seem to work as well as the old one, although I don't run chicken
bones through it often. I think your problem might be too many bones
and not enough other material that might carry or assist the cartilage
through the grinder.

When I hear small chunks rattling around I throw in a couple handfuls
of ice cubes and run it, and throw in leftover lemon/s if I've got 'em
to achieve that "lemony freshness".
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Every household is different. In my case, there are enough people
producing trash that the can is full *long* before anything begins to
stink. The only times that I can recall having to deal with a smelly
can are those times when something old was found in the back of the
fridge. Other than that, the normal turn around for trash going in and
the can being emptied is always shorter than the time it takes for the
can to get smelly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeffy3 wrote in message
om...

If I remember correctly the instructions for our disposal encouraged
small chicken bones and the like as it keeps the blades sharp. I

also
agree that it's great for keeping rancid odors out of the kitchen
trash can. It's annoying and wasteful to have to take a half-filled
bag out of the kitchen trash can because it stinks so bad.

The instructions on mine say that too. I am not giving up my garbage
disposal. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 19, 9:16 pm, Kuskokwim wrote:
On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 21:57:05 -0400, willshak wrote:
Choice 1 - Tilt plate over 150 sq in opening, maybe scrape with a
fork, put plate in dishwasher.
Choice 2 - Tilt plate, maybe scrape with a fork, turn on switch, turn
on faucet, manuver some bones, cobs and other debris into 9 sq in,
push it in, manuver some more debris over to the 9 sq in opening,
push it in, repeat until all debris is gone, rinse out sink, turn off
switch, turn off faucet, put plate in dishwasher.

Please tell me why I would opt for Choice 2?

So you don't have to take out the garbage?
I like to support the sanitation men. They have families, you know.

I like my sanitation man. I give him some cash at Christmas. I also try to
make his job more pleasant by putting the things that will smell to high
heaven if put in the trash down my garbage disposer.

That is about the wisest Christmas gift any homeowner can give, screw
the mailman he's got a govt pension and health care. But the day you
need to haul your hot water heater and ratty old couch out to the
curb, that garbage man will remember your gift.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader-of-some-jacks" wrote in message

Is this normal? Understand, the disposal doesn't balk at chicken bones
going into it (we've never ever tried turkey bones) - it smoothly chops
them up in seconds. What it's failing to do is chop up the small pieces
and flush them out.

If this isn't normal, what are some simple fixes/adjustments I might
make to correct this?

Best method is to have a mix of stuff in the chamber. Add some veggies
peels and long with the bones and it will usually keep the fragments from
just flying around and get them to flush down.

Alternative is to toss the bones in the trash. I hardly put anything down
the disposal any more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 19, 2:25 pm, Kuskokwim wrote:
On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 09:09:49 -0400, willshak wrote:
...and more solids that the water treatment plants have to get rid of in
municipal sewer systems.

Some people might care about this, but I don't.

Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce the very personification
of thoughtlessness and selfish behavior!

Where do you think all that waste goes, Kuskokwim? It isn't magically
disappeared by sewage fairies. And since that food waste is mixed with
human waste, it's now hazardous material and has to be handled as
such. The United States, Canada and Europe are the biggest consumers
of material in the world, and the largest producers of waste. Common
sense says therefore we're also the ones having the biggest impact on
this planet's environment.

So to trader-of-some-jacks, I suggest the following:
(1) Get a great composting unit. Composters.com is a good place to
start looking...also check out Naturemill.com, a company that makes an
indoor, stink-free composter.
(2) Stop using the disposal. Put all your food waste in the composter.
Put the bones in the trash.
(3) Put some worms in the composter.
(4) Stop spending money on Roto-Rooter having to clean your drains
every year or two.
(5) Have some amazing nutrients for the tomatoes and strawberries
you're going to grown in your new garden. Or for the house plants. Or
to give to the folks next door and make the neighborhood just a bit
friendlier.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

Yes, stop putting all that crap in the disposal to begin with.
Disposals are great, but IMO, they should be used for the occasional
scraps of food from washing, prep-work, etc, not the main vehicle for
getting rid of bulk garbage. For example, if I do prep work peeling
vegs, I'll scoop most of it out of the sink and toss it in the trash,
then wash the remaining down the disposal. I think the more stuff
you send down there, the more problems you're asking for, either with
clogged pipes, septic tanks (if u have one), etc.

Where I used to live, food waste was not permitted in the trash. We either
put stuff in the disposal or on the compost pile. Composting is a
beneficial way to get rid of a lot of your garbage. No meat stuff though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kyle wrote in message

. com...
Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce the very personification
of thoughtlessness and selfish behavior!

You need to address this to all the parents filling up landfills with
disposable diapers, now that's selfish behavior.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

bag out of the kitchen trash can because it stinks so bad.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, so wasteful, my God it's a whole 10 cents for one of those bags!
How about the waste at the treatment plant, when they have to deal
with all the extra crap you;re sending down the drain cause you're too
lazy to take out the garbage.

Oh, and for the record, unless the garbage happens to be something
exceptional, like fish, it doesn't smell for a couple days until it's
taken out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 20, 12:21 pm, RickH wrote:
[...]

Not that I have a problem with someone giving the garbage man a xmas
gift, but I pay taxes and fees that include someone hauling off
couches and water heaters. There are certain rules and limitations
but bribes aren't necessary.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Not that I have a problem with someone giving the garbage man a xmas
gift, but I pay taxes and fees that include someone hauling off
couches and water heaters. There are certain rules and limitations
but bribes aren't necessary.

lol...sounds like a certain Charles Dickens character.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 20 Aug, 12:21, RickH wrote:
[...]

Where I live all it takes is a call to WM and they'll pick up the HWH,
couch and most appliances free of charge. The only thing they charge
for is anything that contains a refrigerant and for those they also
send a separate truck. I doubt any amount of a tip to the Thursday
morning person who empties my can is going to get him/her to toss an
old freezer into the back of the truck.

That's not to say I don't give the Thursday morning person a gift for
the holidays. On the other hand, it's not always the same person every
Thursday morning. The turnover at that level of the business is huge.
Whoever is lucky enough to be my trash-person during Christmas week is
the one who gets my gift.

BTW - My mailman has been my mailman for well over 20 years. He's
given us a card when each of my kids were born. He's seen my oldest
grow from an infant to an adult with his own home. He congratulates us
when one my kids make the local paper for a sporting or academic
accomplishment and he seems genuinely concerned when a family member
gets sick or hurt. He gives my dog a biscuit if he's out front because
he likes him, not because he's afraid he is going to bite him. Guess
who gets the bigger tip at Christmas - the trash person or the
mailman?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 20, 2:41 pm, "kpg*" wrote:
Not that I have a problem with someone giving the garbage man a xmas
gift, but I pay taxes and fees that include someone hauling off
couches and water heaters. There are certain rules and limitations
but bribes aren't necessary.

lol...sounds like a certain Charles Dickens character.

If I were a Scrooge I'd dump things over the hillside and not pay the
monthly bill.
Is it really common to give the garbage men xmas gifts? And is it
expected for them to do their jobs?

Posted to alt.home.repair

frank megaweege wrote in
oups.com:

On Aug 20, 2:41 pm, "kpg*" wrote:
Not that I have a problem with someone giving the garbage man a xmas
gift, but I pay taxes and fees that include someone hauling off
couches and water heaters. There are certain rules and limitations
but bribes aren't necessary.

lol...sounds like a certain Charles Dickens character.

If I were a Scrooge I'd dump things over the hillside and not pay the
monthly bill.
Is it really common to give the garbage men xmas gifts? And is it
expected for them to do their jobs?

No, not really. I did give the crew a 20 once for taking an old sofa,
even thougth it was in their job description.

I don't know about other places, but where I live there are different
crews all the time, so an xmas gift would make no sense, but maybe that
particular crew will remember my house and leave the can in my driveway
instead of dragging it down the block.

Catch more flies with sugar than salt, that's all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 20, 3:24 pm, "kpg*" wrote:
frank megaweege wrote groups.com:

On Aug 20, 2:41 pm, "kpg*" wrote:
[...]

Why would they drag your trashcan down the block? You have to pay
them not to do that? That's not tipping, it's extortion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Why would they drag your trashcan down the block? You have to pay
them not to do that? That's not tipping, it's extortion.

hmmmm....you're right. Screw the bastids.