Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Chicken Wire Fasteners

Please forgive me for posting on topic, I promise not to do it
again.

Today I had a service call, to a cat shelter. There is an outdor
cat run, probably 15 by 15 feet. The walls and "roof" such as it
is are rolled chicken wire.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...icken_wire.jpg

And these rolled out chicken wire are connected together by
literally many hundreds of nylon tie straps.
http://www2.gpmd.com/image/g/gwse2036.jpg

But, with the sunlight, the nylon gets brittle and breaks. This
is a constant struggle, to keep put on new tiestraps. And a LOT
of labor. I can get UV resistant black tiestraps at my wholesale
parts house. But, it seems like there should be a metal crimp, or
something to hold the chicken wire together. What is there, for
this purpose?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...cken_wire.jpg/...

And these rolled out chicken wire are connected together by
literally many hundreds of nylon tie straps.
http://www2.gpmd.com/image/g/gwse2036.jpg

But, with the sunlight, the nylon gets brittle and breaks. This
is a constant struggle, to keep put on new tiestraps. And a LOT
of labor. I can get UV resistant black tiestraps at my wholesale
parts house. But, it seems like there should be a metal crimp, or
something to hold the chicken wire together. What is there, for
this purpose?

Your second image posted to inaccessible link so couldn't tell what
you wanted to show, but...

Typically, one strings chicken wire from one post to the next and ties
it w/ wire at the post if metal or staples it if wood. Then,
normally, if there's a need for a splice, it's done at a post or if
must be done in between, use heavy (like #10) wire and wrap it around
it is one way or clip back the mesh for a couple inches on each piece
and individually splice.

The top and bottom should be strung along a heavier tension wire. For
a top, same sort of thing -- use a cross-web of heavier wire as the
supporting mechanism and tie it to that.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Apr 20, 7:40 pm, "Charlie Bress" wrote:
Try something like thesehttp://www.westernwireprod.com/fastcontent/hogrings.html

I was just coming back to mention hog rings are a possibility!!!

Another thing I've used to speed it up some is the rebar ties and
spinner handle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 19:29:22 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Please forgive me for posting on topic, I promise not to do it
again.

Today I had a service call, to a cat shelter. There is an outdor
cat run, probably 15 by 15 feet. The walls and "roof" such as it
is are rolled chicken wire.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...icken_wire.jpg

And these rolled out chicken wire are connected together by
literally many hundreds of nylon tie straps.
http://www2.gpmd.com/image/g/gwse2036.jpg

But, with the sunlight, the nylon gets brittle and breaks. This
is a constant struggle, to keep put on new tiestraps. And a LOT
of labor. I can get UV resistant black tiestraps at my wholesale
parts house. But, it seems like there should be a metal crimp, or
something to hold the chicken wire together. What is there, for
this purpose?

Well, you could either just use wire, which is cheap, and will
work, but which will leave pointy little ends to snag cat-paws and
people's clothing, or dacron twine, which will cost quite a bit more,
but is UV resistant and doesn't leave pointy ends.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

But, with the sunlight, the nylon gets brittle and breaks. This
is a constant struggle, to keep put on new tiestraps. And a LOT
of labor. I can get UV resistant black tiestraps at my wholesale
parts house. But, it seems like there should be a metal crimp, or
something to hold the chicken wire together. What is there, for
this purpose?

How did they imprison chickens before there was plastic?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 7:29 pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
[...]

You can probably use cage wire clips aka J clips if you put a piece of
wire about 12 or14 ga in the crimp to hold the thinner poultry netting
you are trying to fasten. Or you could use lockwire and lockwire
pliers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

oups.com...
wrote:
[...]

Get a roll of electric fence wire and weave it through the joints...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
What is it tied TO?

--
Steve Barker

That is likely part of the problem- it is tied to itself, instead of a
frame. If I inderstand OPs post correctly, the enclosure, aside from maybe
some corner posts, is basically a chicken-wire box. So all the joints flex
all the time, which will make a zip tie fail quickly, sunlight or not. The
volunteers need to scrape up some 2x2 and 2x4, and build an actual chicken
coop frame (mini-POW cage style), and attach the chicken wire to that with
fence staples, like Old McDonald and God intended.

I remember once as a kid, when I got roped into feeding a neighbor lady's
hobby chickens while her and my mother were out doing something together one
day. When I got there around dusk, one of the roosters was strutting around
the yard outside the pen, just as pleased as he could be with himself. But
it was all show- as soom as he realized I was there, he ran back to the pen,
and stuffed himself back in, right through the overlapped chicken wire
joint. He knew where his 'safe' zone was.

aem sends....

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wonder if we could loop some baling wire, or electric fence wire
through? Think of the chicken wire as if it were fabric, and the
wire is sewing thrread?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"dpb" wrote in message
oups.com...
:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've never used rebar ties. Not even sure I know what they are.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"dpb" wrote in message
oups.com...
: On Apr 20, 7:40 pm, "Charlie Bress" wrote:
: Try something like
thesehttp://www.westernwireprod.com/fastcontent/hogrings.html
:
:
: I was just coming back to mention hog rings are a
possibility!!!
:
: Another thing I've used to speed it up some is the rebar ties
and
: spinner handle.
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm not sure what these are. Got a link so I can see em on the
web?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"beecrofter" wrote in message
oups.com...
:
: You can probably use cage wire clips aka J clips if you put a
piece of
: wire about 12 or14 ga in the crimp to hold the thinner poultry
netting
: you are trying to fasten. Or you could use lockwire and
lockwire
: pliers.
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've got a hundred feet or so of aluminum fence wire. I bought it
to string up mufflers. It's useless for string up mufflers, the
wire breaks almost immediately. I wonder if it would do chicken
wire? Or break almost immediately?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Rick" wrote in message
ink.net...
:
:
:
: Get a roll of electric fence wire and weave it through the
joints...
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

Can you close the open end with the pliers they show?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Charlie Bress" wrote in message
: Try something like these
: http://www.westernwireprod.com/fastc.../hogrings.html
:
:
: Charlie
:
:
: "Stormin Mormon" wrote in
message
: ...
[...]
: --
:
: Christopher A. Young
: You can't shout down a troll.
: You have to starve them.
: .
:
:
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stocks, pillary, dunking chair.

http://www.tomecek.com/jay/Stocks.gif

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"mm" wrote in message
news :
: How did they imprison chickens before there was plastic?

Posted to alt.home.repair

They built a frame, out of lumber. Four by four posts, and two by
four beams from side to side. Sorry, forgot to mention.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
: What is it tied TO?
:
: --
: Steve Barker
:
:
:
:
: "Stormin Mormon" wrote in
message
: ...
::
: Today I had a service call, to a cat shelter. There is an
outdor
: cat run, probably 15 by 15 feet. The walls and "roof" such as
it
: is are rolled chicken wire.
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

The challenge is that the cat coop is so large, the chicken wire
seams aren't lined up with boards. Be easier if they were, just
staple the seams to boards. The cat coop is probably 15 feet by
15 feet, and it's not practical to climb up on the "roof" of the
coop.

The problem is as you say, at the seams where the rolls of
chicken wire come together. There can be gaps large enough for a
kitty to wriggle through.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"aemeijers" wrote in message
:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Apr 21, 7:31 am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
They built a frame, out of lumber. Four by four posts, and two by
four beams from side to side. Sorry, forgot to mention.

Then run a strong enough wire to stretch taut along the top and bottom
(of each wire section if it's too short) and tie it to that for
support. Then tie the chicken wire firmly to a post at one corner and
stretch it to the next. Staple it to the posts every two-three
inches. It would be even better to run a horizontal fill-in board but
can get by otherwise. Key is to have it taut and straight so it isn't
"baggy". Means the supporting posts have to be stout enough to hold
some tension or braced.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Apr 21, 7:22 am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I've never used rebar ties. Not even sure I know what they are.

http://www.americanwiretie.com/wireties.htm
http://www.americanwiretie.com/tytools.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 08:30:14 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Stocks, pillary, dunking chair.

http://www.tomecek.com/jay/Stocks.gif

LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair
SJF SJF is offline

[...]

Having read the other posts, I imagine the hog-ring approach is your best
bet. As to a possible source -- years ago, I used to get hog rings and the
crimping pliers at the auto supply store (the old Western Auto) when I
bought seat covers for my car. That was the recommended stitcher-fastener
then.

SJF

Posted to alt.home.repair

Trying to keep cats in. I was thinking some thing like the old
split-shot lead fishing weights. But maybe aluminum. Something
that would keep the fence tightly closed.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

ps.com...
: wrote:
: I've never used rebar ties. Not even sure I know what they
are.
:
: http://www.americanwiretie.com/wireties.htm
: http://www.americanwiretie.com/tytools.htm
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 09:04:33 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Trying to keep cats in. I was thinking some thing like the old
split-shot lead fishing weights. But maybe aluminum. Something
that would keep the fence tightly closed.

Generally, you hook chickenwire together just by overlapping
it a few cells, and bending the the ends of each peice through
the other one. If you're having too much trouble with the cats,
I can post a recipe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ah, to use common sense. Which is lacking, here. The edges of the
chicken wire butt up against each other with no overlap.

She says there are about 50 cats. What's the recipe? I don't like
mushrooms or onions, but slow roasted with A-sauce sounds good.
Do you have to pound the heck out of them for tenderizing? Or
just slow cook crock pot?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Goedjn" wrote in message
:
:
: Generally, you hook chickenwire together just by overlapping
: it a few cells, and bending the the ends of each peice through
: the other one. If you're having too much trouble with the
cats,
: I can post a recipe.
:
:

how to place chicken wire over gutters Joe Home Repair 11 October 24th 06 03:51 PM
DONE OT proper way to kill a chicken Gunner Metalworking 13 May 18th 06 12:16 AM
OT proper way to kill a chicken Ignoramus7121 Metalworking 38 May 16th 06 06:14 AM
Chicken coop Alain Hermans Woodworking 4 March 30th 05 01:01 AM
Where to start? Addition (Chicken/Egg) snapperhead Home Repair 5 December 29th 04 05:11 PM