Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default Chicken Wire Fasteners

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 19:29:22 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Please forgive me for posting on topic, I promise not to do it
again.

Today I had a service call, to a cat shelter. There is an outdor
cat run, probably 15 by 15 feet. The walls and "roof" such as it
is are rolled chicken wire.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...icken_wire.jpg

And these rolled out chicken wire are connected together by
literally many hundreds of nylon tie straps.
http://www2.gpmd.com/image/g/gwse2036.jpg

But, with the sunlight, the nylon gets brittle and breaks. This
is a constant struggle, to keep put on new tiestraps. And a LOT
of labor. I can get UV resistant black tiestraps at my wholesale
parts house. But, it seems like there should be a metal crimp, or
something to hold the chicken wire together. What is there, for
this purpose?

Well, you could either just use wire, which is cheap, and will
work, but which will leave pointy little ends to snag cat-paws and
people's clothing, or dacron twine, which will cost quite a bit more,
but is UV resistant and doesn't leave pointy ends.