Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus7121

Default OT proper way to kill a chicken

One of my hens startted eating eggs, and I finally caught one (and
marked her), now I would like to know the proper way to kill a
chicken. Any ideas? Sorry for the OT post.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Greg O

"Ignoramus7121" wrote in message
.. .
One of my hens startted eating eggs, and I finally caught one (and
marked her), now I would like to know the proper way to kill a
chicken. Any ideas? Sorry for the OT post.

Put it in a pen by itself, fatten it up good. When the bird has reached the
proper weight, chop off the head with an axe, let the carcass flop around
the yard for a few minutes, pluck off the feathers, and gut the bird. (at
least that is how my mom did it years ago!)
Baking or frying decisions I will leave up to you!
Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JR North

You hold the hapless fowl to the block with your left hand, and whack
it's head off with a hatchet. Try to miss your hand. Then, let it go,
and marvel at the chicken's autonomous nervous system in action. It will
run around quite well for a few seconds (possibly looking for it's
head). Not recommended for squeamish pansies.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Ignoramus7121 wrote:

One of my hens startted eating eggs, and I finally caught one (and
marked her), now I would like to know the proper way to kill a
chicken. Any ideas? Sorry for the OT post.

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Bruder

In article ,
Ignoramus7121 wrote:

One of my hens startted eating eggs, and I finally caught one (and
marked her), now I would like to know the proper way to kill a
chicken. Any ideas? Sorry for the OT post.

There are several...

Method #1
Capture chicken in whatever way suits your fancy. Pass neck of chicken
between left arm and left ribs (yours, not the chicken's), with head
forward, in sort of a "headlock" type position. Grasp head of chicken
firmly with right hand, brace left arm to prevent passage of entire
chicken, and pull hard and quick with right hand to break the neck. A
twist is often applied, but is generally considered optional. (reverse
sides if you're a southpaw) Warning: Best done outside, since, until
you've done the deed a few times, it's easy to apply too much force and
decapitate the chicken in the process, causing a bloody mess.
Experienced operators can and do break the neck bloodlessly, but first
timers can find themselves wondering what went wrong.

Alternate method:
Capture chicken. Grasp head of chicken *VERY* firmly in right hand, make
an authoritative "whip-crack" motion with right hand. Again, an outside
job, since "excess authority" can result in decapitated chicken and
bloody mess.

Alternate method #2: Retrieve kindling hatchet, meat cleaver, machete,
or similar chopping tool, capture chicken, place chicken's neck across
block of wood, apply chopping tool with sufficient force to separate
head from chicken. Warning: This should take place outside, in a fairly
unused area, since there will likely be copious bleeding.

Alternative method #3:
Load shotgun - 12 or 20 gauge - with #7 - #8 birdshot. capture and
restrain chicken in a human-safe manner, against a shotgun-safe
backstop. Target chicken's head from close range, disengage shotgun
safety, pull trigger. Hearing protection optional but recommended, and
definitely do this outside.

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

As I recall, egg eating is a symptom of lack of calcium in the diet.
Are your hens gettng sufficient calcium in the form of oyster shell,
etc?

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob

JR North wrote:
You hold the hapless fowl to the block with your left hand, and whack
it's head off with a hatchet. Try to miss your hand. Then, let it go,
and marvel at the chicken's autonomous nervous system in action. It will
run around quite well for a few seconds (possibly looking for it's
head). Not recommended for squeamish pansies.

This is the preferred method, but it doesn't always work:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_the_headless_chicken

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Lundberg

"Ignoramus7121" wrote in message
.. .
One of my hens startted eating eggs, and I finally caught one (and
marked her), now I would like to know the proper way to kill a
chicken. Any ideas? Sorry for the OT post.

..
Press chicken down against the ground, while holding in that position,
gently touch top of chicken head and slide your right index finger slowly
down over beak and forward about six inches. Repeat this hypnotic motion
until the chicken is completely still. Then take an axe and chop off it's
head. This method is slower than others suggested here, but less messy since
the blood from a chicken with it's head cut off is vast. Do this outside. In
the barnyard. But then... if you had a barnyard... you would already know
this. So do it in the kid's sand box!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Kelley Mascher

My grandmother's method was to reach down grab the chicken by the head
and flip it in a tight circle. Takes about 2 seconds but then she had
a lifetime of practice.

Cheers,

Kelley

On Sun, 14 May 2006 15:18:04 GMT, Ignoramus7121
wrote:

One of my hens startted eating eggs, and I finally caught one (and
marked her), now I would like to know the proper way to kill a
chicken. Any ideas? Sorry for the OT post.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary A. Gorgen

Ignoramus7121 wrote:
One of my hens startted eating eggs, and I finally caught one (and
marked her), now I would like to know the proper way to kill a
chicken. Any ideas? Sorry for the OT post.

My grandmother had this down to a science.
Wait 'till feeding time, check hatchet to be sure it's sharp.
Throw out feed for the chickens, while they are eating, grab
selected chicken form behind, by the legs.
Hold said chicken upside down while walking to hatchet location.
Chickens pass-out when they are upside down.
Kick drain bucket into position, position now out-cold chicken
on chopping block, still holding feet in the air.
One slight stroke of the hatchet, not enough to stick in the
chopping block, head goes into bucket, move chicken over bucket
a let it drain. Process takes about .1 sec.
Hatchet stays clean, chopping block stays clean, bucket contents
go into the compost pile.

--
Gary A. Gorgen | "From ideas to PRODUCTS"
| Tunxis Design Inc.
| Cupertino, Ca. 95014
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

Ignoramus7121 wrote:

One of my hens startted eating eggs, and I finally caught one (and
marked her), now I would like to know the proper way to kill a
chicken. Any ideas? Sorry for the OT post.

Depends on your situation and how much gore you wish to endure.

Headless chicken races featured large in our baryard at times.

A killing tool that look a lot like a pair of pruning shears with a
spoon in place of the anvil was used when efficiency was required. The
blade was placed in the mouth of the bird, with the spoon on the top of
the head. A quick hard squeeze and it was all over, the chicken or
turkey going limp.

The method that was given in Harrowsmith magazine before they went
yuppie scum was to hold the chicken across your chest, sort of, with the
head between the index and middle fingers of your srong hand, arm
outsterched, while holding the legs with the other hand. A quick stretch
and the neck breaks. Effective and under complete control. Also hard to
remove the head and make a mess.

The last few I despatched I hung upside down on the fence, held the
head and cut the throat and neck. They thrashed a little bit, but the
blood was contained in an appropriate area, and I did not have to chase
after the carcass.

Cannabalism usually has it's cause in either a lack of nutrients or a
lack of space, but sometimes it's just what one chicken does.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 14 May 2006 09:21:11 -0700, JR North
wrote:

You hold the hapless fowl to the block with your left hand, and whack
it's head off with a hatchet. Try to miss your hand. Then, let it go,
and marvel at the chicken's autonomous nervous system in action. It will
run around quite well for a few seconds (possibly looking for it's
head). Not recommended for squeamish pansies.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Mom had a stump with a length of bailin' wire attached to it. Th'
other end would be twisted a few wraps around th' impending chicken
supper's foot. After she whacked it's head off it wouldn't get very
far away.

Snarl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John R. Carroll

Trevor Jones wrote:
Ignoramus7121 wrote:

One of my hens startted eating eggs, and I finally caught one (and
marked her), now I would like to know the proper way to kill a
chicken. Any ideas? Sorry for the OT post.

Depends on your situation and how much gore you wish to endure.

The last few I despatched I hung upside down on the fence, held the
head and cut the throat and neck. They thrashed a little bit, but the
blood was contained in an appropriate area, and I did not have to
chase after the carcass.

Cannabalism usually has it's cause in either a lack of nutrients or a
lack of space, but sometimes it's just what one chicken does.

The only thing I'd add is to swing it briskly by the legs in a big vertical
arc a bit to daze it first. You won't have problems handling it then.

--
John R. Carroll
Machining Solution Software, Inc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sun, 14 May 2006 09:22:16 -0700, Don Bruder
wrote:

In article ,
Ignoramus7121 wrote:

[...]

Method #4

"Cletus Method"

http://www.whangdoodle.us/interviews/geek.htm

Its actually fairly easy to do, and can make you some serious money in
bar bets.

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose
and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology
has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence,
and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years
.. It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints,
and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been
as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Metal Man

Well, my Dad grew up on a big farm in Indiana during the Depression...
My Mom, too, on another farm.
-
Take your chicken to chopping block with a sharp axe. I thought it very
bad manners but that chicken just ran around until it bled itself out.
To get the rest of the blood out, hang upside down on a tree on a nail.
I think I was 13 maybe. Then Mom's job was to de-feather it. Get a big
pot of boiling water outside on the ground and dip your bird in, neck
1st all the way submeged. Wait a little while. Take out, and over lots
of old newspaper, most of the big feathers will come right out. The
little pin feathers is a chore getting them all. Then Mom degutted them
right in the kitchen sink. Not much really holds its or for that
matter---our guts in. Everything slips right out the anus end. Then
butcher it.
-
We raised about 100 Rhode Island Reds when I was kid in a dirty, old,
stinking hen house. And one red Banny rooster ruled the nest! I ate
lots of egg salad and the occasional chicken salad sandwiches when I was
a kid for school lunch. And sold our brown eggs door to door all over
our neighborhood and always cheaper than store bought. That 1st fresh
killed chicken was the hardest for me to eat; after that, not so bad.
Ever see triple egg yolk eggs?
-
Ever see how all the chickens will single out just one and peck it to
death? I guess that is where the term, "pecking order" came from.
Washington politicians do it to themselves every so often, too!
-
Want to know how to skin white domestic rabbits? Ditto eating my 1st
rabbit.
-
Myself? I know how, like if my Navy ship sank and I had to survive.
But, like rabbits, I prefer to have them as a pet. If I had a farm I'd
starve because all those critters would be pets.
-+-
Kurt

===================

OT proper way to kill a chicken

Group: rec.crafts.metalworking Date: Sun, May 14, 2006, 3:18pm (EDT+4)
From: lid (Ignoramus7121)
One of my hens startted eating eggs, and I finally caught one (and
marked her), now I would like to know the proper way to kill a chicken.
Any ideas? Sorry for the OT post.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug Warner

Come on now metalworkers.. I expected something more creative, like a
chicken-sized guillotine..
--
Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy

Doug Warner wrote:
Come on now metalworkers.. I expected something more creative, like a
chicken-sized guillotine..

I thought Iggy might rig up a mini electric chair connected to his TIG
welder...G

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Greg O

"Ignoramus7121" wrote in message
.. .
If I squeeze the neck very tight as I chomp off the head, would I
still get all blooded and messy? Or would I be able to restrict
passage of blood?

I donno! The way a chicken flops and runs around with no head I don't think
I would want to try hold onto one!!
Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Unknown

wrote:

,;You hold the hapless fowl to the block with your left hand, and whack
,;it's head off with a hatchet. Try to miss your hand. Then, let it go,
,;and marvel at the chicken's autonomous nervous system in action. It will
,;run around quite well for a few seconds (possibly looking for it's
,;head). Not recommended for squeamish pansies.

Reminded me of my brother putting up chickens in the freezer. Picture
this. He lived next door to a fast food joint with a lot of picnic
tables for lunching in the outdoors.

Around lunch time he had over a dozen chickens and started chopping
off heads and releasing them. The headless chickens raced around the
yard, blood spurting, and tumbling randomly. White chickens were half
red when they quit running. None got off the property but when he
finished he noticed that the picnic tables were empty.

Actually two nails driven half way into the chopping block that are
far enough apart for the neck and too small for the head to fit
through works pretty well. You can stretch the neck out so you get
the most meat and keep the fingers out of range. Chop on the nail side
opposite of the head.

This reminded me of another incident. My mother complained to my dad
that he was leaving too much neck with the head. The next batch came
in with eyeballs but without the beak. There were no more complaints.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Smith

We did in a bantam chicken once that (after its head was off) took off
and flew around in circles about 6 feet off the ground. Just for a bit...

Steve

Ignoramus7121 wrote:

One of my hens startted eating eggs, and I finally caught one (and
marked her), now I would like to know the proper way to kill a
chicken. Any ideas? Sorry for the OT post.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus7121

On Sun, 14 May 2006 20:06:36 +0000, Christopher Tidy wrote:
Doug Warner wrote:
Come on now metalworkers.. I expected something more creative, like a
chicken-sized guillotine..

I thought Iggy might rig up a mini electric chair connected to his TIG
welder...G

I did think for a moment, about using my 1 uF 22 kV capacitors, of
which I have three left. The chicken would not only get killed, but
also fried at the same time.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I helped the neighbor lady kill some geese and chickens one time. I
grabbed the doomed bird and got it's legs and wings pinned, you can
grab both wings in one hand near their base, and the legs in the other,
doomed bird then held over bucket, nice lady then took butcher knife
and cut birds head off, lowered bird into bucket somewhat so it wasn't
spaying blood all over until spasms stopped. This method, as it was
explained to me, was used so that the bird didn't go flopping around
and bruising the meat.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus7121

On Sun, 14 May 2006 14:43:05 -0400, Metal Man wrote:
[...]

Sounds good, I have a log piece that I could use for a chopping
block.

We raised about 100 Rhode Island Reds when I was kid in a dirty,
old,

Thats what we have. Five Rhode Island Reds and one New Hampshire red,
the latter is going to die tonight. This one is three years old and
always had some antisocial behaviors.

stinking hen house. And one red Banny rooster ruled the nest! I ate
lots of egg salad and the occasional chicken salad sandwiches when I was
a kid for school lunch. And sold our brown eggs door to door all over
our neighborhood and always cheaper than store bought. That 1st fresh
killed chicken was the hardest for me to eat; after that, not so bad.
Ever see triple egg yolk eggs?

Saw some doubles, from young chickens.

Ever see how all the chickens will single out just one and peck it to
death? I guess that is where the term, "pecking order" came from.
Washington politicians do it to themselves every so often, too!

I read about it, never saw it.

Want to know how to skin white domestic rabbits? Ditto eating my 1st
rabbit.
-
Myself? I know how, like if my Navy ship sank and I had to survive.
But, like rabbits, I prefer to have them as a pet. If I had a farm I'd
starve because all those critters would be pets.

yes, we keep them for eggs too,

Kurt

===================

From: lid (Ignoramus7121)
One of my hens startted eating eggs, and I finally caught one (and
marked her), now I would like to know the proper way to kill a chicken.
Any ideas? Sorry for the OT post.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Anthony

Ignoramus7121 wrote in
:

One of my hens startted eating eggs, and I finally caught one (and
marked her), now I would like to know the proper way to kill a
chicken. Any ideas? Sorry for the OT post.

We always just used a block of wood on end....and an axe. Some neighbors
just wrung the necks. They will run around for a while after you chop
the head off or even wring the neck.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
& its Old Roy

Back when we raised all kinds of fowl, I used to walk around the
flocks (rhode islands and New hamps at that time) which I left free
range on the pasture, and with a hardwood cane (normally used to poke
and prode cattle with) I would whack the undesireable roosters with
the cane to cull the flock. Normally a good whack was all that was
needed to put a rooster down.......I also had this big old Tom turkey
that used to follow me wherever I went. Each time I would knock a
rooster down, this tom turkey woul dget on the rooster, and start
treading it.......(if y do not know what treading is look it up ;-),
and then do a little dance and find the next rooster I knocked down
and do it again., Talk about a perverted turkey......

I like the cone method myself......no big mess, confines all the mess
to one small area, fast and efficient.

Ever see a fully grown Rhode Island Red rooster spur and do a dance on
a youngins head......We had one RIR who was a real johnny badass, at
least it thought so, ONe day my 3 year old went out and that rooster
jumped h8im, and got on his head and started to spur and rip on him..
The rooster seen me coming and realized he screwed up and beet feet
and jumped down...I spent a few hours hunting that critter down until
I finally managed to nail him good with the 22 cal rifle. I bet I
pumped 8 shots into that rooster and he still kept on evading me,
trying to hide in amongst the others in the flock.

"The original frugal ponder.."Since my statements are
given freely, take em or leave em, I am entitled to
my opinion none the less. My opinion and $1 is still
only worth $1.....but I am entitled to "MY" opinion...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve R.

"Doug Warner" wrote in message
Come on now metalworkers.. I expected something more creative, like a
chicken-sized guillotine..

Ok, I just have to chime in here! Back in the 1970s, I was a fast food
manager, and yes, we sold hamburgers an chicken. We needed a new slide show
to train the kids who cooked the stuff. Your truly was delegated to
photograph the process from live chicken to packed frozen meat.

So here is how they did it at a local packing house:

There was an endless cable with W shaped holders that ran from the loading
area to the de-feathering machine. Several men removed the live chickens
from cages on a truck, and hung them by their feet in the Ws. When about 20
chickens were loaded, the cable started moving. Their heads were dragged
over a shocking device that stunned the birds, and then passed over a
concrete pad, where a man sitting on a chair, cut their throats. After that
a hole saw in a hand drill was used to cut a circle around each birds anus,
and the guts were suctioned out. On to a wheel knife the cut the feet off
over the de-feathering machine, which then spat them out into a vat of cold
water. two people then fed them into a machine that band sawed them into 7
pieces, and ejected them into plastic bags for freezing.

Steve R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus29705

On Sun, 14 May 2006 23:05:50 -0700, Steve R. wrote:
So here is how they did it at a local packing house:

There was an endless cable with W shaped holders that ran from the loading
area to the de-feathering machine. Several men removed the live chickens
from cages on a truck, and hung them by their feet in the Ws. When about 20
chickens were loaded, the cable started moving. Their heads were dragged
over a shocking device that stunned the birds, and then passed over a
concrete pad, where a man sitting on a chair, cut their throats. After that
a hole saw in a hand drill was used to cut a circle around each birds anus,
and the guts were suctioned out. On to a wheel knife the cut the feet off
over the de-feathering machine, which then spat them out into a vat of cold
water. two people then fed them into a machine that band sawed them into 7
pieces, and ejected them into plastic bags for freezing.

Steve, do you know how that de-feathering machine worked?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Metal Man

Default OT proper way to kill a chicken Gunner

LOL!
-
I wonder if this was the guy... ?
-
I once upon a time was Navy Seabees and we were on winter maneuvers with
the 10th Mountaineering Division in February to Camp Drum, Watertown,
NY. -
Night time one night, in our snow holes they give us live chickens to
kill, dress out and eat. Sure enough, some joker, chomps on his
chicken's neck to gross us out.
-
Forgot about that. You did your Bob Hope duty!
-
Thanks for the memories,
-
Kurt

====================

OT proper way to kill a chicken

Group: rec.crafts.metalworking Date: Sun, May 14, 2006, 6:32pm (EDT+4)
From: (Gunner)
---------------(snipped)---------
-
Method #4
"Cletus Method"
http://www.whangdoodle.us/interviews/geek.htm
-
Its actually fairly easy to do, and can make you some serious money in
bar bets.
-
Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus29705

On Mon, 15 May 2006 10:06:11 -0400, Metal Man wrote:
LOL!
-
I wonder if this was the guy... ?
-
I once upon a time was Navy Seabees and we were on winter maneuvers with
the 10th Mountaineering Division in February to Camp Drum, Watertown,
NY. -
Night time one night, in our snow holes they give us live chickens to
kill, dress out and eat. Sure enough, some joker, chomps on his
chicken's neck to gross us out.

Um, did they want you to eat uncooked chicken?

I suppose that plucking chicken without scalding them first, is not as
easy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Mon, 15 May 2006 10:06:11 -0400, (Metal Man)
wrote:

LOL!
-
I wonder if this was the guy... ?
-
I once upon a time was Navy Seabees and we were on winter maneuvers with
the 10th Mountaineering Division in February to Camp Drum, Watertown,
NY. -
Night time one night, in our snow holes they give us live chickens to
kill, dress out and eat. Sure enough, some joker, chomps on his
chicken's neck to gross us out.
-
Forgot about that. You did your Bob Hope duty!
-
Thanks for the memories,
-
Kurt

The really good geeks will put the entire chicken head in their mouths
and bite it off. Most simply bite it off from the side.

Gunner

====================

From:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Lyon

"JR North" wrote in message
You hold the hapless fowl to the block with your left hand, and whack
it's head off with a hatchet. Try to miss your hand. Then, let it go,
and marvel at the chicken's autonomous nervous system in action. It will
run around quite well for a few seconds (possibly looking for it's
head). Not recommended for squeamish pansies.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

And, wear old clothes. It can be a bit messy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Lyon

"Polymer Man" wrote in message
oups.com...
Wood chippers not to be used to euthanatize poultry, AVMA says

"Use of wood chippers has not been endorsed by the AVMA as an
acceptable means of euthanasia for poultry

LOL!

I guess I'll have to keep that in mind......

I heard a story once about a poultry farm that was in trouble from the EPA.
It seems they were throwing their dead chickens out back, and was creating a
bit of a stink. I'm not sure what the proper method of disposal for a large
poultry farm is, but this particular one started raising gators.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roy

The mnetion of electrocution brings back memories.
being sa typical deployed and bored GI on a unit deployment, a few of
us used to set there on the flight line watching the huge rats look
for scraps of food etc that maintemnance workers would throw in the
trash cans i nthe break area. You could not scare them away, and they
avoided traps........We took a large shallow metsal drip pan/trsay, nd
filled it with water to the poin t that just the bnottom of it was
wet. We attached an electrical lead to it, and placed it on a rubber
mat. We hung a piece of bait over this shallow pan,m wrappe dup in
fine copper wire, which was also attached to the oppositel electrical
leac. Turne dn the power and set back and watched the fireworks and
smoke show. We soon eliminated quite a few of those rats.......

Doug Warner wrote:

Come on now metalworkers.. I expected something more creative, like a
chicken-sized guillotine..

I thought Iggy might rig up a mini electric chair connected to his TIG
welder...G

I did think for a moment, about using my 1 uF 22 kV capacitors, of
which I have three left. The chicken would not only get killed, but
also fried at the same time.

Is that an issue? Thomas Edison didn't think so.

Chris

"The original frugal ponder.."Since my statements are
given freely, take em or leave em, I am entitled to
my opinion none the less. My opinion and $1 is still
only worth $1.....but I am entitled to "MY" opinion...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Mon, 15 May 2006 18:41:04 GMT, Roy wrote:

(rats)
You could not scare them away, and they
avoided traps........We took a large shallow metsal drip pan/trsay, nd
filled it with water to the poin t that just the bnottom of it was
wet. We attached an electrical lead to it, and placed it on a rubber
mat.

My uncle was an ordinance intellgence officer during Korea. They made
"self-cleaning rat traps", involving a primed shell and some sort of
release mechanism. The rat would go for the bait inside the shell, trip
the mechanism, and the charge would detonate, killing and removing the
rat. He said you could always tell nte new guys because they'd jump
when the rat traps would go off.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

One of my hens startted eating eggs, and I finally caught one (and
marked her), now I would like to know the proper way to kill a
chicken. Any ideas?

One way I've heard that's not been mentioned yet (the wrist
flick being the best, quickest way if you just want to get rid
of it):

Hang the chicken by its feet over a bucket. Using a straight
razor or similarly sharp implement, slit the entire beak
lengthwise and let it drain into the bucket...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Roy wrote:

The mnetion of electrocution brings back memories.
being sa typical deployed and bored GI on a unit deployment, a few of
us used to set there on the flight line watching the huge rats look
for scraps of food etc that maintemnance workers would throw in the
trash cans i nthe break area. You could not scare them away, and they
avoided traps........We took a large shallow metsal drip pan/trsay, nd
filled it with water to the poin t that just the bnottom of it was
wet. We attached an electrical lead to it, and placed it on a rubber
mat. We hung a piece of bait over this shallow pan,m wrappe dup in
fine copper wire, which was also attached to the oppositel electrical
leac. Turne dn the power and set back and watched the fireworks and
smoke show. We soon eliminated quite a few of those rats.......

Reminds me of a friend who had a problem with one of his chromed wheels
rusting. Just one, the left rear. turns out a neighborhood tomcat was
peeing on it as part of his nightly rounds.
So my friend rolled out some coarse hardware cloth as a mat in front
of the wheel. He attached alligator clips to the end of a 25-ft
extension cord. One clip to the mat, one to vehicle ground. Then he
plugged it in and went in to watch the news.
Right in the middle of the weather forecast came the most awful
screech from outside. No more rust problems on that wheel.

Now, i like cats, but now 30 years later this still gives me the giggles
just thinking about it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wood Butcher

Here's another 2 methods that haven't been mentioned before.
Both avoid the blood spurting dance which often leads to
bruised meat in addition to the bloodbath.
1. Hang the chicken by it's feet, head down. Using a small
pocket knife reach into the throat and slit the jugular.
The chicken will bleed out with no fuss, no muss. I never
managed to do this so I can't give any explicit instructions
but I've seen it done hundreds of times.

2. This one I mastered. Hold the chickens head upside down
on a support surface. Open it's mouth and insert a large
flat bladed screwdriver into the cleft in the roof of the mouth.
Push it into the brain and twist. Instant death with no thrashing.

Art

"Ignoramus7121" wrote in message
.. .
One of my hens startted eating eggs, and I finally caught one (and
marked her), now I would like to know the proper way to kill a
chicken. Any ideas? Sorry for the OT post.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve R.

It was like an industrial laundry extractor, with a door on the drum. It had
holes punched all over the sides of the drum, that had raised edges on the
inside. It would spin at high speed, scrubbing the feathers off. After a set
period of time, the drum would stop suddenly. As it did this, a door on the
side popped open, ejecting the chickens. The top of the drum was open, and
had a suction hose to remove the feathers.

Steve R.