Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default DONE OT proper way to kill a chicken

On Mon, 15 May 2006 02:52:23 GMT, Ignoramus7121
wrote:

details here

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/chicken/

The chicken is almost done, detais on the page. It was not bad, but
its amazing how much flapping it did, even though I wrung its neck.

I only need to gut it now. It is a very fat and heavy chicken. 3 yrs
old.

Save the feet. Hang em up in a warm dry place..then paint the toenails
bright red Varnish well and make a set of earrings for your wife.

My mother actually had a set just made that way. She wore em to
parties that needed a little icebreaker.

Mom was..unique.

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose
and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology
has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence,
and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years
.. It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints,
and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been
as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus7121

wrote:

details here

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/chicken/

The chicken is almost done, detais on the page. It was not bad, but
its amazing how much flapping it did, even though I wrung its neck.

I only need to gut it now. It is a very fat and heavy chicken. 3 yrs
old.

Save the feet. Hang em up in a warm dry place..then paint the toenails
bright red Varnish well and make a set of earrings for your wife.

My mother actually had a set just made that way. She wore em to
parties that needed a little icebreaker.

Mom was..unique.

Haha, my wife would have a heart attack if I proposed anything like
this. And she is not generally opposed to killing or dressing of
chickens, although I had to do the work myself.

I kept the liver, stomach, undeveloped eggs, kidney, heart, which I
will probably eat for breakfast.

There was about 1/2 lb of internal fat, which I washed and melted in a
pan, for future cooking. (tried not to overheat it) This chicken is
very fat and has a big "pillow" of internal fat, I wonder if she was a
diabetic.

Is it really good for soup only, I am not so sure since it is
not that old and very fat. Any ideas?

If the remaining (one year old) hens continue this egg eating
behavior, they will all met the same fate, although I have my hopes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

wrote:

The chicken is almost done, detais on the page. It was not bad, but
its amazing how much flapping it did, even though I wrung its neck.

I only need to gut it now. It is a very fat and heavy chicken. 3 yrs
old.

Which one was it? How did the neighbors react?

Save the feet. Hang em up in a warm dry place..then paint the toenails
bright red Varnish well and make a set of earrings for your wife.

Hm. I've met his wife, and she doesn't seem like the kind who would
wear such earrings. In fact, I can't recall any woman I've met, ever,
who would wear earrings like that.

My mother actually had a set just made that way. She wore em to
parties that needed a little icebreaker.

Wow.

Mom was..unique.

Past-tense noted. Knowing you, she must have been a remarkable woman.
I mean that in the best possible way.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus29705

wrote:

The chicken is almost done, detais on the page. It was not bad, but
its amazing how much flapping it did, even though I wrung its neck.

I only need to gut it now. It is a very fat and heavy chicken. 3 yrs
old.

Which one was it? How did the neighbors react?

It was the oldest one, the neighbors were not aware of anything.

Save the feet. Hang em up in a warm dry place..then paint the toenails
bright red Varnish well and make a set of earrings for your wife.

Hm. I've met his wife, and she doesn't seem like the kind who would
wear such earrings. In fact, I can't recall any woman I've met, ever,
who would wear earrings like that.

I met one who could, but except that she was a vegetarian, but if she
was not, she would do it.

My mother actually had a set just made that way. She wore em to
parties that needed a little icebreaker.

Wow.

Yes, indeed. I have nothing against that, as such, but yes, it is
remarkable.

Mom was..unique.

Past-tense noted. Knowing you, she must have been a remarkable woman.
I mean that in the best possible way.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On 15 May 2006 14:27:07 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Save the feet. Hang em up in a warm dry place..then paint the toenails
bright red Varnish well and make a set of earrings for your wife.

Hm. I've met his wife, and she doesn't seem like the kind who would
wear such earrings. In fact, I can't recall any woman I've met, ever,
who would wear earrings like that.

My mother actually had a set just made that way. She wore em to
parties that needed a little icebreaker.

Wow.

Mom was..unique.

Past-tense noted. Knowing you, she must have been a remarkable woman.
I mean that in the best possible way.

She was indeed. Graduated from Michigan Tech as an aeronautical
engineer. Dad had graduated from there as a civil engineer. (Both
were natives of the UP). Early bohemian types.

I grew up on a diet of classical music, Billy Holiday, Chad Mitchell
Trio and so forth. Dad wore a beard and a flat topped GI ball
cap..looked just like a young Fidel Castro. Mom was a tall rawboned
Finn, who dressed well when appropriate, yet could be found stabbing
the motor mount bolts as Dad lowered the engine in his old WW2 jeep.

I grew up in a house filled with late night parties comprised of
college professors, freshly returned Korean War vets and business
owners, free thinkers and beatniks, seasoned with the odd handful of
Jesuit teachers. Then Dad started traveling doing road and harbor
construction..so we moved a lot. sometimes monthly. The late 50s and
early 60s were an interesting time to be a kid. Buck Rogers, Crusader
Rabbiit, smoke filled kitchens filled with interesting people
discussing and solveing the worlds problems, engineering issues and
the problems of business.
And humor..god they were funny. Mom had a marvelous sense of timing,
and Dad has this huge delight in the absurd. Well known for putting
on a preachers collar and going to the bar and playing pool. The local
sweeties loved him and would come up and hug and smooch him..tourists
would be aghast...and ask him what the hell he was doing..

"How can you warn against the wages of sin, if you have never sinned?"
followed by some of the funniest routine you have ever heard.

My sister is of the same mould. She got 2 degrees from Tech.

The family is an interesting bunch. Me..Im just a plodder.

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose
and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology
has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence,
and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years
.. It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints,
and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been
as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Bruder

In article ,
Gunner wrote:

On 15 May 2006 14:27:07 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Save the feet. Hang em up in a warm dry place..then paint the toenails
bright red Varnish well and make a set of earrings for your wife.

Hm. I've met his wife, and she doesn't seem like the kind who would
wear such earrings. In fact, I can't recall any woman I've met, ever,
who would wear earrings like that.

My mother actually had a set just made that way. She wore em to
parties that needed a little icebreaker.

Wow.

Mom was..unique.

Past-tense noted. Knowing you, she must have been a remarkable woman.
I mean that in the best possible way.

She was indeed. Graduated from Michigan Tech as an aeronautical
engineer. Dad had graduated from there as a civil engineer. (Both
were natives of the UP).

Ahhh... Transplanted Yoopers! That explains *EVERYTHING*!

(Personally, I'm a transplanted "Trooper" - Half Troll, ('cause I wuz
born "below da bridge") and half Yooper, 'cause I spent a big chunk o'
my early years eatin' pasties like they was goin' outta style, and
taking money from fudgies on Mack-a-traz Island )

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Mon, 15 May 2006 15:32:21 -0700, Don Bruder
wrote:

In article ,
Gunner wrote:

[...]

Yall couldnt tell by my accent?.

We left Hancock when I was 9 or 10, but I spent most of my summers at
the Copper Harbor lighthouse or Great Grandma's house in Calumet, or
Grandma's house at Lac La Bel

Finally settled down in Grayling, where I spent the last 3-4 yrs of
high school and graduated. Dad quit the construction biz..went back to
watchmaking..owned a jewelry store there for nearly 30 yrs before he
retired, Mom worked various jobs, finally wound up as the head of the
county buiding inspectors department. Was the only woman building
commissioner for some years in the US..head of a bunch of code
organizations and whatnot.

Sister was some muckamuch for Detroit Edison, hazmat department head
or such. Ive seen pictures of her running bulldozers, welding on ****
and wearing dosimeters. She took a golden parachute..went on to be the
midwest regional director for EARS (emergency animal rescue..they have
a website), now does consultation work for DE atsome multiple of her
original rate, works cadaver dogs in disasters, charter member of
Second Amendment Sisters, is in several motorcycle riders
organizations and her boyfriend is a Shriner Motorcycle Team
rider..whatever they are called.

I had other priorities...shrug..so Im the blacksheep of the family,
eh?

Went into the green machine in 71..only been back a few times since
then.

Gunner

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be
as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment
is to gull**** in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at
all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in
sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration,
knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure
but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Husvar

Memories. Hmmmm.

Hatchet man for fun and profit.

When I was 13-14 years old a neighborhood couple bought a gross of live
chickens -- Yep 144 of 'em -- to process and freeze. They got a bunch of
relatives together to help and set up kind of a production line.

Problem was: Nobody in their family had the heart to kill the birds. The
processing didn't bother them, just the killing.

Their son came over to my house to ask if my father could do it for
them. Since he was off work from a truck driving accident and still
hurting quite a bit, he had to decline. So I agreed to take on the job
for ten percent of the birds. (Never did quite figure out how to count
the .4 chicken so I only took 14.)

I partially drove two nails into a convenient stump, sharpened their
hatchet and started in; grab bird holding the feet and wings, stick neck
between the nails, pull back slightly, and chop.

Repeat 143 more times, occasionally dropping one after the hit, which
taught me how the phrase "running around like a chicken with its head
cut off" originated.

Now that I think about it, my very first paying job was contract killer
-- on commission yet. In Steubenville, Ohio at the time, that might have
been considered starting out right in some circles.

The payment, though, was pretty tasty and partially filled in the
grocery gap until Dad recovered.

--
Bring back, Oh bring back
Oh, bring back that old continuity.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 16 May 2006 01:13:19 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner
quickly quoth:

Don said:
Ahhh... Transplanted Yoopers! That explains *EVERYTHING*!

(Personally, I'm a transplanted "Trooper" - Half Troll, ('cause I wuz
born "below da bridge") and half Yooper, 'cause I spent a big chunk o'
my early years eatin' pasties like they was goin' outta style, and
taking money from fudgies on Mack-a-traz Island )

Yall couldnt tell by my accent?.

The Internet filters out most accents. Time does the rest. I no longer
sound like a 13 y/o Arkansan, do I? 40 years will do that.

Finally settled down in Grayling, where I spent the last 3-4 yrs of
high school and graduated. Dad quit the construction biz..went back to
watchmaking..owned a jewelry store there for nearly 30 yrs before he
retired, Mom worked various jobs, finally wound up as the head of the
county buiding inspectors department. Was the only woman building
commissioner for some years in the US..head of a bunch of code
organizations and whatnot.

Cool.

I had other priorities...shrug..so Im the blacksheep of the family,
eh?

As an alcoholic, I thought I was the black sheep until I realized that
my cousin had been through law school.

Went into the green machine in 71..only been back a few times since
then.

For some reason, I've never wanted to go back to the South. Perhaps I
remember the idities, stup- and hum-. Oh, and the Hellfire and
Brimstone preachers. I'd had enough of those when I was 5 that I
pleaded with my mother "Please don't make me go to church any more."
She didn't. Whenever I pray now it's "Lord, please protect me from
those who think they speak for you."

--
"Simplicity of life, even the barest, is not misery but
the very foundation of refinement." --William Morris
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pyotr filipivich

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but Gunner
wrote on Tue, 16 May 2006 01:13:19 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

[...]

You sound somewhat like cousin Steve. Black sheep of the family, he
was the first to not graduate from College. Then his family discovered
what a motorcycle mechanic could make, and decided it wasn't all bad ... .

--
pyotr filipivich.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

There was about 1/2 lb of internal fat, which I washed and melted in a
pan, for future cooking. (tried not to overheat it) This chicken is
very fat and has a big "pillow" of internal fat, I wonder if she was a
diabetic.

Search on "schmaltz chicken fat onions."

--Glenn Lyford

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy

Ignoramus7121 wrote:

Haha, my wife would have a heart attack if I proposed anything like
this. And she is not generally opposed to killing or dressing of
chickens, although I had to do the work myself.

I kept the liver, stomach, undeveloped eggs, kidney, heart, which I
will probably eat for breakfast.

Do chickens only have one kidney?

There was about 1/2 lb of internal fat, which I washed and melted in a
pan, for future cooking. (tried not to overheat it) This chicken is
very fat and has a big "pillow" of internal fat, I wonder if she was a
diabetic.

More likely it just ate too much and didn't exercise. If it had diabetes
I think it would have appeared a little ill.

Is it really good for soup only, I am not so sure since it is
not that old and very fat. Any ideas?

Use it to grease your backhoe G.

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Bruder

In article ,
Ignoramus10275 wrote:

On Wed, 17 May 2006 21:28:15 +0000, Christopher Tidy
wrote:
Ignoramus7121 wrote:

Haha, my wife would have a heart attack if I proposed anything like
this. And she is not generally opposed to killing or dressing of
chickens, although I had to do the work myself.

I kept the liver, stomach, undeveloped eggs, kidney, heart, which I
will probably eat for breakfast.

Do chickens only have one kidney?

I was surprised myself. It was a dark round thing the size of a big
grape. It looked like I would expect kidney meat to look. I already
ate it.

What's a good recipe for kidney?
A: Boil the **** out of it!

rimshot

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy

Don Bruder wrote:

snip

Do chickens only have one kidney?

I was surprised myself. It was a dark round thing the size of a big
grape. It looked like I would expect kidney meat to look. I already
ate it.

What's a good recipe for kidney?
A: Boil the **** out of it!

Reminds me of a biology textbook I had at school. There was a picture of
a guy connected to a dialysis machine. A previous owner of the textbook
had drawn a big smiley on the machine and a speech bubble which said "Ha
Ha I'm taking the **** out of you".

Chris