Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Medium format door knobs

Hi,

I have a door with stationary glass where the wooden part is just 2
1/4" wide and it is not wide enough for the standard door knobs that
are sold. Where could I look for a door knob (dummy or pass through)
with a smaller backplate - something in the range of 1 3/4"? I have
found nothing on ebay or craigslist or online.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Aaron Fude

Posted to alt.home.repair

When I built my Atrium type door, I hit the same problem. I went to
the local locksmith
and she ordered me a solid brass one out of California with lever
handles and a very small footprint.
Today with the internet, I could probably avoid the mark-up (that was
in the '80s).
here is one; http://www.swisco.com/page/SI/PROD/p...s-locks/82-400
Making the mortise was a challenge, but a router made light work of
it.

On Aug 7, 11:31 am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have a door with stationary glass where the wooden part is just 2
1/4" wide and it is not wide enough for the standard door knobs that
are sold. Where could I look for a door knob (dummy or pass through)
with a smaller backplate - something in the range of 1 3/4"? I have
found nothing on ebay or craigslist or online.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Aaron Fude

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 09:31:21 -0700, Aaron Fude
wrote:

Hi,

I have a door with stationary glass where the wooden part is just 2
1/4" wide and it is not wide enough for the standard door knobs that
are sold. Where could I look for a door knob (dummy or pass through)
with a smaller backplate - something in the range of 1 3/4"? I have
found nothing on ebay or craigslist or online.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Aaron Fude

There was a place in NYC in the east 50's called "Just Knobs", and
that is all they sold. Even then I didn't find exactly what I wanted
for my big wood desk. If they're still around, they might be online.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Most lock manufacturers have adaptor kits for 2 1/4 inch thick
doors.

What's a backplate? Is that the metal that goes around the inner
door knob? 21 years a locksmith, and I've not heard that term.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
ups.com...
: Hi,
:
: I have a door with stationary glass where the wooden part is
just 2
: 1/4" wide and it is not wide enough for the standard door knobs
that
: are sold. Where could I look for a door knob (dummy or pass
through)
: with a smaller backplate - something in the range of 1 3/4"? I
have
: found nothing on ebay or craigslist or online.
:
: Thanks a lot in advance,
:
: Aaron Fude
:

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Aug 7, 12:31 pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have a door with stationary glass where the wooden part is just 2
1/4" wide and it is not wide enough for the standard door knobs that
are sold. Where could I look for a door knob (dummy or pass through)
with a smaller backplate - something in the range of 1 3/4"? I have
found nothing on ebay or craigslist or online.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Aaron Fude

sounds like you need an older style door knob/latch assembly with
separate knobs, latches, and escutcheons (the part that you are
referring to as a "backplate" is actually called an "escutcheon" or
"rosette.") My local hardware store actually sells the parts,
although you may not find 'em at your local Big Box. I'd stick with a
tubular latch as a mortise latch is a lot of work for little payoff
unless you are restoring a vintage house and everything has to be
period correct.

Exterior Door Knobs Silas Home Repair 6 May 5th 07 11:43 PM
Keypad entry door knobs? al Home Repair 3 April 20th 07 02:18 AM
OT - medium format camera Tom Gardner Metalworking 30 December 4th 05 07:31 PM
door knobs CJT Home Repair 9 November 28th 05 04:13 AM
Best Medium Format under $1000 Charlie Self Woodworking 2 November 23rd 03 04:32 PM