Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default Medium format door knobs

On Aug 7, 12:31 pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have a door with stationary glass where the wooden part is just 2
1/4" wide and it is not wide enough for the standard door knobs that
are sold. Where could I look for a door knob (dummy or pass through)
with a smaller backplate - something in the range of 1 3/4"? I have
found nothing on ebay or craigslist or online.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Aaron Fude

sounds like you need an older style door knob/latch assembly with
separate knobs, latches, and escutcheons (the part that you are
referring to as a "backplate" is actually called an "escutcheon" or
"rosette.") My local hardware store actually sells the parts,
although you may not find 'em at your local Big Box. I'd stick with a
tubular latch as a mortise latch is a lot of work for little payoff
unless you are restoring a vintage house and everything has to be
period correct.