Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

Default door knobs

Perry Templeton wrote:

I'd like to know where I can find more door knobs like these. They are
quaint and functional. I don't even know what they are called.
Hope this link works.
Perry
http://perry.zoto.com/user/image_det...ded-desc/0-30y

Maybe a wrecking/salvage company?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

Perry Templeton wrote:
I'd like to know where I can find more door knobs like these. They are
quaint and functional. I don't even know what they are called.
Hope this link works.
Perry
http://perry.zoto.com/user/image_det...ded-desc/0-30y

Try places like this one:

http://www.houseofantiquehardware.com/re_doorset.htm

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger Taylor

"Perry Templeton" wrote in message
. ..
I'd like to know where I can find more door knobs like these. They are
quaint and functional. I don't even know what they are called.
Hope this link works.
Perry
http://perry.zoto.com/user/image_det...ded-desc/0-30y

If it is just the knobs you need, there are quite a few antique door knob
dealers online, and retail shops like Restoration Hardware, perhaps in your
area. Google for either "antique door knobs" or for "antique locksets", and
note both the body of the search results, as well as the right hand paid-for
advert. column.. Be sure you unscrew the set screws and disassemble the
knobs from the spindle to see what shape, size, and length the axle is, so
you know what to specify.. The lock mechanism in the photo looks *very*
old - 19th century looking.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

"Roger Taylor" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Not as nice, but....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-antique-do...c mdZViewItem

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

"Perry Templeton" wrote

The house was built in 1950. My father in law built it.
Perry

I would have thought that assembly was older than that.......

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger Taylor

"Perry Templeton" wrote in message
. ..
The house was built in 1950. My father in law built it.
Perry

My house was built in 1959, but the builder apparently used wall studs are
from 1800's barns, some doors from the 1920's, and a pre-world war II
bathtub. My first impression is your father in law visited a few antique
shops (then known as junk yards) to locate the door hardware, in this case.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Perry Templeton

It appears that the doorsets were first used in this house. The doors are
cut perfectly to fit the sets. They are unique and very nice looking. They
don't appear to be used more than this once.
Actually, I'm looking for a descriptive, a name, a type or some key word to
help me look more. I've looked at Lee Valley, and the like.
Perry
"Roger Taylor" wrote in message
. ..

"Perry Templeton" wrote in message
. ..
The house was built in 1950. My father in law built it.
Perry

My house was built in 1959, but the builder apparently used wall studs are
from 1800's barns, some doors from the 1920's, and a pre-world war II
bathtub. My first impression is your father in law visited a few antique
shops (then known as junk yards) to locate the door hardware, in this
case.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger Taylor

I gave you some ideas for this, in my second of 3 letters, about how to
search for knobs.
That's all I could think of.