Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

Default OT - medium format camera

My cousin wants his 120 Rolliflex back that he loaned me a few years ago. I
have 35mm stuff coming out the wazoo but I like having that huge negative to
walk around on. I also just bought 20 rolls of film. I'm looking for a
sharp lens that will focus on 120 film, the less fancy the better. I'm
hoping somebody has some 120 format stuff that they would sell. Cosmetics
mean nothing just the lens and the shutter. I use external metering.
Wouldn't you like to see an old friend get some loving use?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

Tom Gardner wrote:

My cousin wants his 120 Rolliflex back that he loaned me a few years ago. I
have 35mm stuff coming out the wazoo but I like having that huge negative to
walk around on. I also just bought 20 rolls of film. I'm looking for a
sharp lens that will focus on 120 film, the less fancy the better. I'm
hoping somebody has some 120 format stuff that they would sell. Cosmetics
mean nothing just the lens and the shutter. I use external metering.
Wouldn't you like to see an old friend get some loving use?

I picked up one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Zeiss-Ikon-Super...QQcmdZViewItem

At a flea market a few years ago. The lens is uncoated
and not as sharp as the Rolliflex, but you still get
the creamy clear texture of medium format in your prints.

Used Hasselblad stuff has not taken a significant hit in
prices yet. Wait another 2-3 years.

The other thing to look at is a Russian Kiev. I hear
the optics are pretty good and the price is right.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Emmons

Used Hasselblad's have never been cheaper. Lenses are still a bit pricey but
the camera's are pretty affordable.

I'd look for a used Yashicamat or even a Mamiya C220 if you want a twin lens
camera. Very affordable, plentiful in most any camera store that sells used
equipment. Downside is getting them repaired, can be costly and parts can be
hard to get

The Kiev is a Russian copy of the Hassy, ok but nowhere near the quality.

Medium format cameras in general are dropping in price as most studio
shooters have forsaken them for digital. The last holdouts are probably
traditional portrait and wedding photographers but even most of them have
realised the benefits of switching over to digital imaging.

You should be able to find something usable on ebay with little problem or
cost.

John Emmons

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
.. .
Tom Gardner wrote:

My cousin wants his 120 Rolliflex back that he loaned me a few years

ago. I
have 35mm stuff coming out the wazoo but I like having that huge

negative to
walk around on. I also just bought 20 rolls of film. I'm looking for a
sharp lens that will focus on 120 film, the less fancy the better. I'm
hoping somebody has some 120 format stuff that they would sell.

Cosmetics
mean nothing just the lens and the shutter. I use external metering.
Wouldn't you like to see an old friend get some loving use?

I picked up one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Zeiss-Ikon-Super...120-Rangefind_
W0QQitemZ7566109900QQcategoryZ30028QQssPageNameZWD VWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

At a flea market a few years ago. The lens is uncoated
and not as sharp as the Rolliflex, but you still get
the creamy clear texture of medium format in your prints.

Used Hasselblad stuff has not taken a significant hit in
prices yet. Wait another 2-3 years.

The other thing to look at is a Russian Kiev. I hear
the optics are pretty good and the price is right.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rigger

Most versatile and reasonably priced SLR I have found, although large,
is the Mamiya RB67. Solid as a rock and a larger negative; best on a
tripod but can be used handheld. Try it you'll like it.

dennis
in nca

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 17:54:17 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

My cousin wants his 120 Rolliflex back that he loaned me a few years ago. I
have 35mm stuff coming out the wazoo but I like having that huge negative to
walk around on. I also just bought 20 rolls of film. I'm looking for a
sharp lens that will focus on 120 film, the less fancy the better. I'm
hoping somebody has some 120 format stuff that they would sell. Cosmetics
mean nothing just the lens and the shutter. I use external metering.
Wouldn't you like to see an old friend get some loving use?

Any interest in a Kowa 6, uses 120 or 220, has handgrip, but only 85mm
lens. SLR, but no prism, viewing hood on top only.

Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy

Just got me thinking...anyone familiar with the Pentax 6x7? I've always
fancied one of these for shooting black and white cityscapes, but the
prices are still too high. For now I've got a Nikkormat FT3 35 mm, which
I love, but I'd like to try medium format sometime. Maybe one day...

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

Any interest in a Kowa 6, uses 120 or 220, has handgrip, but only 85mm
lens. SLR, but no prism, viewing hood on top only.

Rich

Ideal...nice sharp lens. Any idea on a number?

tom(at)ohiobrush.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Christopher Tidy wrote:
Just got me thinking...anyone familiar with the Pentax 6x7?

Dad simply adores his. I doubt he's unpacked the Roliflex since
he got it. Get the extra forward mounted grip--it offsets the change
in center of balance of the larger medium format lenses, makes a
big difference in how well it handles (unless you will always have it
on a tripod).

--Glenn Lyford

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 21:03:10 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

Any interest in a Kowa 6, uses 120 or 220, has handgrip, but only 85mm
lens. SLR, but no prism, viewing hood on top only.

Rich

Ideal...nice sharp lens. Any idea on a number?

tom(at)ohiobrush.com

JUst dug it out to check it, haven't shot it in quite a few years,
shutter appears to be working properly yet.

Haven't kept up with what they're going for lately, like about ten
years or so, but, camera, with handgrip and cable, 67mm polarized
filter, cross filter, thinking about two fifty.

I'll send email, my addy here munged too bad and spam isn't my lunch.

It'll be big, digital photo. Well, maybe not that big.

Rich.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lew Hartswick

Tom Gardner wrote:
My cousin wants his 120 Rolliflex back that he loaned me a few years ago. I
have 35mm stuff coming out the wazoo but I like having that huge negative to
walk around on. I also just bought 20 rolls of film. I'm looking for a
sharp lens that will focus on 120 film, the less fancy the better. I'm
hoping somebody has some 120 format stuff that they would sell. Cosmetics
mean nothing just the lens and the shutter. I use external metering.
Wouldn't you like to see an old friend get some loving use?

Well there is those two Hasselblads that are free for the picking up you
know. How about them?
...lew...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

"Lew Hartswick" wrote in message
news
Tom Gardner wrote:
My cousin wants his 120 Rolliflex back that he loaned me a few years ago.
I have 35mm stuff coming out the wazoo but I like having that huge
negative to walk around on. I also just bought 20 rolls of film. I'm
looking for a sharp lens that will focus on 120 film, the less fancy the
better. I'm hoping somebody has some 120 format stuff that they would
sell. Cosmetics mean nothing just the lens and the shutter. I use
external metering. Wouldn't you like to see an old friend get some loving
use?

Well there is those two Hasselblads that are free for the picking up you
know. How about them?
...lew...

No thanks, I don't like Hasselblads...they have a quality issue.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jack Hayes

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
m...
My cousin wants his 120 Rolliflex back that he loaned me a few years ago.

have 35mm stuff coming out the wazoo but I like having that huge negative

walk around on. I also just bought 20 rolls of film. I'm looking for a
sharp lens that will focus on 120 film, the less fancy the better. I'm
hoping somebody has some 120 format stuff that they would sell. Cosmetics
mean nothing just the lens and the shutter. I use external metering.
Wouldn't you like to see an old friend get some loving use?

Take a look at the Bronica's on EBay the ETRS or ETRSi are very reliable and
at present selling at very reasonable prices, lots of attachments available.

Jack

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
everyman

A real man would use an 8" x 10" view camera. Does tend to require a
backpack or two.
Did I mention I have some I'd like to sell to someone who would use them for
what they were intended for?
Karl

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
m...
My cousin wants his 120 Rolliflex back that he loaned me a few years ago.

have 35mm stuff coming out the wazoo but I like having that huge negative

walk around on. I also just bought 20 rolls of film. I'm looking for a
sharp lens that will focus on 120 film, the less fancy the better. I'm
hoping somebody has some 120 format stuff that they would sell. Cosmetics
mean nothing just the lens and the shutter. I use external metering.
Wouldn't you like to see an old friend get some loving use?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rigger

Karl said:
A real man would use an 8" x 10" view camera. Does tend to require a

backpack or two.
Did I mention I have some I'd like to sell to someone who would use
them for
what they were intended for?
Karl

Deardorff?

dennis
in nca

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

"everyman" wrote in message
[...]

I have a 8x10, I always felt that my compositions weren't worth the film.
One I got used to the big ng and convenience of 120, my 35mm stuff pales. I
mostly do b&w on a tripod with an exposure log, a spotmeter and whole roll
shots in the zone system. I shoot color slides on occasion. Out of the
thousans of images over the years, I have two or three that are printable.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Emmons

Tamron, the company that owns the Bronica recently announced that the
Bronica line has been completely discontinued.

Probably not an issue but it's gonna mean no parts available sometime soon.

John

"Jack Hayes" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

wrote:

My cousin wants his 120 Rolliflex back that he loaned me a few years ago. I
have 35mm stuff coming out the wazoo but I like having that huge negative to
walk around on. I also just bought 20 rolls of film. I'm looking for a
sharp lens that will focus on 120 film, the less fancy the better. I'm
hoping somebody has some 120 format stuff that they would sell. Cosmetics
mean nothing just the lens and the shutter. I use external metering.
Wouldn't you like to see an old friend get some loving use?

How about a couple YashicaMats? I think I have several kicking around,
with toasted meters.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

wrote:

My cousin wants his 120 Rolliflex back that he loaned me a few years ago. I
have 35mm stuff coming out the wazoo but I like having that huge negative to
walk around on. I also just bought 20 rolls of film. I'm looking for a
sharp lens that will focus on 120 film, the less fancy the better. I'm
hoping somebody has some 120 format stuff that they would sell. Cosmetics
mean nothing just the lens and the shutter. I use external metering.
Wouldn't you like to see an old friend get some loving use?

Any interest in a Kowa 6, uses 120 or 220, has handgrip, but only 85mm
lens. SLR, but no prism, viewing hood on top only.

Rich

That was a nice camera. Bit unwieldy..but took good pics.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Grimm

I've had a lot of fun with yashicamats

my first was given to me by my grandfather, a 50s model, no meter

the second I bought at a flea market, around 1990. It was a 70s/80s model,
spent its whole life in a studio. I paid 150 for that one.
woohoo!

I bet they are reasonably priced now

Tom Gardner wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
nic

The Yashica is a fun camera to use, does a good job, but I never have liked
the feel of the TLR system, probably needed to use it more. I also always
liked the Kodak Tourist that my dad has. I used to unwind 120 and 220 film
onto 620 spools to get those wonderfully sized 6x9 negatives. Since you
already have the 120 film purchased, you may find one of the Ansco/Agfa
cameras that uses 120 that suits you.

Tom Gardner wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"nic" wrote in message
. ..
The Yashica is a fun camera to use, does a good job, but I never have

liked
the feel of the TLR system, probably needed to use it more. I also always
liked the Kodak Tourist that my dad has. I used to unwind 120 and 220 film
onto 620 spools to get those wonderfully sized 6x9 negatives. Since you
already have the 120 film purchased, you may find one of the Ansco/Agfa
cameras that uses 120 that suits you.

A few decades ago, before I was writing, I was doing freelance
photography -- mostly for McGraw-Hill and their magazines, including
Business Week. BW asked me to do a Christmas subscription-card photo of a
fireplace with fire and stockings hanging. But they wanted 2-1/4" negs and I
had only 35 mm at the time. Their art director wanted everything done with
Hasselblads.

So I bought a new Yashicamat D for $90 and shot the job with that. The art
director was happy. I got paid, and I was happy. "See?," he said. "I knew
you'd be happier if you got a 'Blad." I never let him see the Yashica. g

Soon after I started using 4x5 (I do have a roll film back for it, but that
came later) and I never had the need for a 2-1/4 x 2-1/4 camera again: it
was all either 35 mm photojournalism or 4x5 studio work. I've used the
Yashica some for my own photos and it's a lot of fun for certain kinds of
work. That lens is 'way sharper than it has any reason to be, for such a
cheap camera.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy

Ed Huntress wrote:
"nic" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

I've heard that Hasselblads have a little notch in the film carrier,
which shows up on the developed negative so that you can tell if it was
taken on a Hasselblad or not! But I don't know if it's true...

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 17:21:20 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"nic" wrote in message
[...]

Speaking of sharpness and cheap cameras, my neighbors have an old,
cheap 120 film size camera. Their aunt remembers seeing it used it in
1934. It has leatherette covering the outside. The 2 viewfinders are
little frosted glass rectangles. The whole viewfinder system is 1 DCX
lens, 1 mirror, and the frosted glass. The camera lens is also 1 DCX
lens. It appeared to be the same one used in the viewfinders. The
thing was a little dirty on the outside and the lenses were fogged
with dirt. I took it apart carefully to clean the lenses and shutter.
After all was clean and put together I bought a roll of film and took
pictures of my neighbor and his wife (Dennis & Katy). I couldn't
believe how sharp the pictures were! So much detail! The photos were
taken on a bright sunny day. Since the pictures came out so well, and
because the camera is so old, and because Katy likes old stuff, I
bought the chemicals to convert the black and white pictures to sepia
toned pictures. I think it just took two chemicals packets mixed with
water. Katy loved the pictures and had them framed. She displays them
together with the camera. Her aunt was thrilled to see pictures coming
once again from the camera she remembers as a little girl.
ERS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard

wrote:

Their art director wanted everything done with
Hasselblads.

This is one thing I've seen before, and I always have to laugh at it.
In 2 1/4 square, you have to get up into pretty big prints before you
notice any difference from a Hassy to anything else.

Most of the photog buddies I have have seen the 8 X 10 I have hanging
on the wall, and they know I borrowed a Hassy from my brother in law.
They all assume it was shot with that, but the reality gives them a
kick in the teeth. 2 1/4 X 3 1/4 Century Graphic with an f7.7 Kodak
anastigmat stopped to f 32. 3 milkweed pods, full and fluffy,
backlighted against a row of spruce, the background went completely
black, the white almost the color of the paper. Razor sharp.

So I bought a new Yashicamat D for $90 and shot the job with that. The art
director was happy. I got paid, and I was happy. "See?," he said. "I knew
you'd be happier if you got a 'Blad." I never let him see the Yashica. g

That would have been the perfect time to show it to him.

I have two Yashica 635, dual format, 120 or 35mm film. Both sharp,
but the devil is in the details. Film wind knobs on both sides, and
only a scribed mask in the VF for the 35mm format.

I knew one company photog that carried four Hassy bodies in a case
along with the lenses and AS&R for them, he said that was to make sure
he completed an assignment before all four of them quit. Hassy is
VERY delicate, not the thing you wan't to be using on a camping trip.

Rich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

wrote:

[...]

Hey, I needed the work. g

Big negatives are good. Bigger negatives are better -- until you get to 8 x
10, and the shallow depth-of-field starts to eat you up.

My ad agency (1982-85) had a Calumet 8 x 10. We shot a lot of photos for
Casio Calculator Div. You've probably seen them, especially if you saw an
8-foot-high Casio Duratrans at a trade show or airport around that time.
They were gorgeous. You could fall into them if you weren't careful.

I loved using that camera but it was an engineering job to shoot a
photograph; color-compensating gelatine filters for reciprocity failure,
color-by-color, and all that. Chasing one's tail a lot.

I always wanted a Horseman. I had a 2-1/4 x 3-1/4 Bush Pressman instead.
That was a good field camera. You could kick it off a cliff without hurting
it.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message

snip

I took it apart carefully to clean the lenses and shutter.
After all was clean and put together I bought a roll of film and took
pictures of my neighbor and his wife (Dennis & Katy). I couldn't
believe how sharp the pictures were! So much detail! The photos were
taken on a bright sunny day. Since the pictures came out so well, and
because the camera is so old, and because Katy likes old stuff, I
bought the chemicals to convert the black and white pictures to sepia
toned pictures. I think it just took two chemicals packets mixed with
water. Katy loved the pictures and had them framed. She displays them
together with the camera. Her aunt was thrilled to see pictures coming
once again from the camera she remembers as a little girl.
ERS

Man, that must have been very satisfying and gratifying. Yes, big negatives
overcome a lot of little problems. I like shooting 2-1/4 x 2-3/4 negs and
chromes with the roll-film back in my view and press cameras, but I don't
have the time for much of it any more.

--
Ed Huntress
(remove "3" from email address for email reply)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 21:16:55 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

I always wanted a Horseman. I had a 2-1/4 x 3-1/4 Bush Pressman instead.
That was a good field camera. You could kick it off a cliff without hurting
it.

--
Ed Huntress

Ive got the D model Bush, 4x5. In the same cabinet as the Combat
Graphic

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

wrote:

I always wanted a Horseman. I had a 2-1/4 x 3-1/4 Bush Pressman instead.
That was a good field camera. You could kick it off a cliff without

hurting
it.

--
Ed Huntress

Ive got the D model Bush, 4x5. In the same cabinet as the Combat
Graphic

Gunner

It's funny how, without even trying, we packrat types tend to wind up with
nice collections of things. g

Those are good ones. My collection is not deep but it's pretty classic,
although, as a theme collection, it's missing a Rollieflex mit Planar. The
Yashicamat will have to fill in for it until I retire.

Funny aside: IMTS, I think maybe 1986 or thereabouts. I'm carrying my Nikon
F as my second camera. Japanese machine-tool guys say, "Oh, Mr. Huntress,
you collect antique cameras?" "No," I say. "I use them." g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
daniel peterman

I once had a job for a historian in Michigan.
The task was to make contact prints from glass plate negatives. maybe
300 of them
so I set up a darkroom in my in-law's basement and went to work. Keep in
mind that these were quite fragile and one of a kind images.
You may see some of them in a book by my Historian friend from Battle
Creek inhis book about the town that he knows and loves, entitled

Images of America, Battle Creek
ISBN 0-7385-3305-x
Arcadia publishing
He is a prolific chronicler of the rich history of this city and a good
friend of mine , I am proud to say..

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn

In article ,
Christopher Tidy wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:
"nic" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Some photographers filed little notches into film carriers and/or
cameras, so they could tell for sure which camera/carrier was used,
mainly to track problems and solve them.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

wrote:

[...]

Chuckle...indeed. Years ago, I did a stint as a semi pro
photographer, was one of the instructors at the local ROP program.

Ive not shot a roll or sheet of film in over 8 yrs now. Still have a
Mamiya C330F, a couple C220s and at least one C33, with all the bells
and whistles. I got used to using TLRs, got the Hassy, but sold it in
2000 after the "Event"

Ive got a pristine Nikon S, black dial, with a couple lenses that Ive
never shot a roll of film though (making a note to do just that) and a
dozen or so other decent old cameras. My working 35mms were Canon A1s,
(need to check batteries again) and some FTBs

I enjoyed photography way too much to have made a living at it..when
it became work, I sorta lost interest to some degree. Gave most of the
darkroom equipment away..long term loans to folks long moved
away...shrug..still have some bits kicking around out in storage. The
2 4x5 Omega D enlargers and so forth. I kept thinking I was going to
get back into it..then found other interests. Life keeps getting in
the way. Like the several firearms. Ive got at least 4 Ive never
fired. Just dont have the time anymore.

Damnit