Arch

Default Idle musings about our medium

Wood being what we woodturners turn to produce our wood art, craft and
culch, I reckon it's not taking on airs to term it our medium. To some,
wood is a beautiful natural creation that only the almighty can make. We
are allowed to cut, scrape and clear finish it, but to paint, fenestrate
or segment it _is a misuse and we _ought not do it. Of course, there is
a difference between 'is' and 'ought' and many use the medium as they
please with no remorse.

Often they produce even more beautiful work than could be produced in a
more agreeable medium. I believe that If beauty is truth, they are being
true to the medium. Funny thing, though. I claim not to worship grain or
hug timber, so why am I apalled that my daughter just painted the
beautiful walnut panelling in her library?

Do you think she misused her medium? Can we misuse ours? Can any medium
be misused in the pursuit of excellence? Who's on first? Who cares?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Arch

Painting beautiful wood paneling ? that's a shame, something like a new
owner of a home that has seen several generations grow up in it, with a
beautiful healthy tree out in front, to be cut down over the objections
of the neighborhood, just to change the driveways location, and then
move 2 or 3 years later.
Painting is a good way to prevent weather from destroying outdoor wood,
and to enable lower grade wood use in and around the homes and other
constructions, it seems also a way of getting more attention by painting
burning or some other way of obliterating the good or not so good
finish/shape of otherwise not so special turned objects.
There are some very nice turnings made in that genre, and than the herd
instinct takes over, oh well, have fun and take care.

Leo Van Der Loo

Arch wrote:

[...]

George

"Leo Van Der Loo" wrote in message
Hi Arch

Painting beautiful wood paneling ? that's a shame, something like a new
owner of a home that has seen several generations grow up in it, with a
beautiful healthy tree out in front, to be cut down over the objections of
the neighborhood, just to change the driveways location, and then move 2
or 3 years later.

Not sure I'm in full agreement. Wandering through the Tretyakov, there were
a lot of wooden screens and panels that I felt were improved by the
paintings on them.

http://www.iconsexplained.com/iec/ie...e_vladimir.htm

Arch

Leo, Thanks for your thoughts. I was trying to open some thoughtul
discussion re whether or not there should be any limitations on the
things we turn and embellish out of wood. Perhaps not a very
interesting subject to consider here, but I think it relates to
woodturning.

George, Thanks for your take. My daughter is a successful artist and she
would agree with you. I'm basically on the same page. Some further
thoughts on being free to turn and embellish woodturnings?

Chuck, Thanks for your reply and for sharing your remembrance. I meant
'medium' in reference to a material (wood) used for turning objects.
Sorry that my questions were not clear. Maybe you just wanted to share a
funny story wiith us, but I would be glad of your thoughts re the
question of misusing our medium (wood).

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Alan

If a sound piece of "beautifully" grained timber is painted....I'd
agree it raises some questions, however, the addition of some colour
may turn a relatively "common" form into something far more attractve.
Of course, only some people are able to know what and where to put the
colour without it having the opposite effect!
Segmenting allows smaller pieces from perhaps leftovers or badly
checked pieces to be utilised rather than scrapped, so there is a
sound place for it. Also, it affords the use of less striking
timbers, in combination, to present a far more pleasing article than
if turned soley from a single species if minimal figure.
As for your daughter's actions...imagine the possible impact should a
future owner of that house sand back the paint!
Just a few thoughts,
Alan

On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 12:10:36 -0400, (Arch) wrote:

[...]

Joe Fleming

In our modern world, choices of media are rather easy and free. We are
not limited to the choices that our forebearers had. So, with more
choices comes more opportunity for trial and error, for experimentation
and play.

While we think of pots made of clay, the choice of clay, to some extent
was due to materials available and practical considerations of
durability.

I went through a phase where I only wanted my pieces turned. If I have
to get out other tools, I was cheating. Coloring was also a bad thing.
Now, I cut, carve and color freely. What I have found is that my
desire for self-expression outweighs my need to retain the inherenet
qualities of the medium chosen.

Do I paint wooden pieces or furniture? Yes. Do I spend big money on
exotics to paint? No.

Leo raises the question of painted paneling. Would I paint the
paneling? Wrong question. The correct question is, do I want wooden
paneling in the given room? If not, I wouldn't install it in the first
place. If it was there before me, I can remove it, which will likely
destroy it, or paint over it. That someone made that choice to paint
prior to my ownership is their choice. I certainly wouldn't hang
wooden paneling just to paint it. I would consider painting paneling
in a house that I bought. I don't like paneling because it makes rooms
dark and gloomy (my opinion).

Joe Fleming - San Diego

Arch

Thanks Alan and Joe for your usual insightful comments.

It hasn't always been so, but it seems to me that most turners are
agreed that excepting taste and esthetics, there are no limits on how
woodturners use wood.

Maybe so, but does that include uses that might be considered false or
even an attempt to deceive? Does our agreement extend to painting faux
grain, knots etc. or making fir into pink ivory or applying vinyl
imprinted with walnut burl, no matter how artful or beautiful the
finished object?

If not, why not?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Darrell Feltmate

This is an interesting question Arch, what is appropriate in our medium so
far as the approach to acquiring a finished piece? Obviously we assume that
turning with a lathe is allowable, but then what about coloring, inlay,
laminating, carving, and whatever else our active little minds may conceive?
Realizing that wood is our principle medium, what about combining it with
other media such as dye, paint, raffia, metal, and so on?

Perhaps a "purist" wood turner will insist that only turning is allowed and
that the wood must be presented with a maximum of a finish applied. that
finish must be one of the clear finishes such as oil or varnish. However,
with the vast range of clear to amber finishes available in something as
traditional as shellac let alone all the varnishes on the market, every
finish chosen is a design alteration.

On the other hand, to be true to the medium could be considered as being
true to the medium in its historic context. From the beginning of time or at
least of tool making, we have cut, carved and colored wood. It has been
glued up, tied together, interwoven, inlaid, laminated and decorated by a
myriad of means. Pictures have been burned and painted on it. The Mona Lisa
is painted on a slab of wood. According to pictures found on the pyramids we
have turning it for at least 3000 years.

The thing is, wood lends itself to a lot of creative expressions by a lot of
different means. Some people will decide that an object must be left as
turned, sanded and finished. Others will want to carve, pyrograph, paint and
so on. The question is not what is true to the medium but rather what is
true to the craftsman/artist?

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

Joe Fleming

Or, how about reproduction pieces? Making a new pine table into a
beat-up "old-looking" table with burning, beating, dents, dings and
smudges, for example.

I think Darrell said it right - be true to the craftsperson/artist, but
I will extend a bit: Be honest with the purchaser or giftee too. They
should have an appreciation for what they have bought/received so that
they are not deceived.

Joe Fleming - San Diego