Joe Fleming

In our modern world, choices of media are rather easy and free. We are
not limited to the choices that our forebearers had. So, with more
choices comes more opportunity for trial and error, for experimentation
and play.

While we think of pots made of clay, the choice of clay, to some extent
was due to materials available and practical considerations of
durability.

I went through a phase where I only wanted my pieces turned. If I have
to get out other tools, I was cheating. Coloring was also a bad thing.
Now, I cut, carve and color freely. What I have found is that my
desire for self-expression outweighs my need to retain the inherenet
qualities of the medium chosen.

Do I paint wooden pieces or furniture? Yes. Do I spend big money on
exotics to paint? No.

Leo raises the question of painted paneling. Would I paint the
paneling? Wrong question. The correct question is, do I want wooden
paneling in the given room? If not, I wouldn't install it in the first
place. If it was there before me, I can remove it, which will likely
destroy it, or paint over it. That someone made that choice to paint
prior to my ownership is their choice. I certainly wouldn't hang
wooden paneling just to paint it. I would consider painting paneling
in a house that I bought. I don't like paneling because it makes rooms
dark and gloomy (my opinion).

Joe Fleming - San Diego