Arch

Default Idle musings about our medium

Wood being what we woodturners turn to produce our wood art, craft and
culch, I reckon it's not taking on airs to term it our medium. To some,
wood is a beautiful natural creation that only the almighty can make. We
are allowed to cut, scrape and clear finish it, but to paint, fenestrate
or segment it _is a misuse and we _ought not do it. Of course, there is
a difference between 'is' and 'ought' and many use the medium as they
please with no remorse.

Often they produce even more beautiful work than could be produced in a
more agreeable medium. I believe that If beauty is truth, they are being
true to the medium. Funny thing, though. I claim not to worship grain or
hug timber, so why am I apalled that my daughter just painted the
beautiful walnut panelling in her library?

Do you think she misused her medium? Can we misuse ours? Can any medium
be misused in the pursuit of excellence? Who's on first? Who cares?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter