DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Medium format door knobs (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/210088-medium-format-door-knobs.html)

Aaron Fude August 7th 07 05:31 PM

Medium format door knobs

Hi,

I have a door with stationary glass where the wooden part is just 2
1/4" wide and it is not wide enough for the standard door knobs that
are sold. Where could I look for a door knob (dummy or pass through)
with a smaller backplate - something in the range of 1 3/4"? I have
found nothing on ebay or craigslist or online.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Aaron Fude

Eric in North TX August 7th 07 06:01 PM

Medium format door knobs

When I built my Atrium type door, I hit the same problem. I went to
the local locksmith
and she ordered me a solid brass one out of California with lever
handles and a very small footprint.
Today with the internet, I could probably avoid the mark-up (that was
in the '80s).
here is one; http://www.swisco.com/page/SI/PROD/p...s-locks/82-400
Making the mortise was a challenge, but a router made light work of
it.

mm August 7th 07 09:36 PM

Medium format door knobs

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 09:31:21 -0700, Aaron Fude
wrote:

Hi,

I have a door with stationary glass where the wooden part is just 2
1/4" wide and it is not wide enough for the standard door knobs that
are sold. Where could I look for a door knob (dummy or pass through)
with a smaller backplate - something in the range of 1 3/4"? I have
found nothing on ebay or craigslist or online.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Aaron Fude

There was a place in NYC in the east 50's called "Just Knobs", and
that is all they sold. Even then I didn't find exactly what I wanted
for my big wood desk. If they're still around, they might be online.

Stormin Mormon August 8th 07 01:52 PM

Medium format door knobs

Most lock manufacturers have adaptor kits for 2 1/4 inch thick
doors.

What's a backplate? Is that the metal that goes around the inner
door knob? 21 years a locksmith, and I've not heard that term.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
ups.com...
: Hi,
:

N8N August 8th 07 02:39 PM

Medium format door knobs

On Aug 7, 12:31 pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have a door with stationary glass where the wooden part is just 2
1/4" wide and it is not wide enough for the standard door knobs that
are sold. Where could I look for a door knob (dummy or pass through)
with a smaller backplate - something in the range of 1 3/4"? I have
found nothing on ebay or craigslist or online.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Aaron Fude

sounds like you need an older style door knob/latch assembly with
separate knobs, latches, and escutcheons (the part that you are
referring to as a "backplate" is actually called an "escutcheon" or
"rosette.") My local hardware store actually sells the parts,
although you may not find 'em at your local Big Box. I'd stick with a
tubular latch as a mortise latch is a lot of work for little payoff
unless you are restoring a vintage house and everything has to be
period correct.