Posted to alt.home.repair
al al is offline

Default Keypad entry door knobs?

Has anyone had experience with keypad entry door knobs? Wondering
whether the electronics are reliable and hold up over time or whether
you end up using the keys after a while. If I were to use one it
would be sheltered somewhat from weather by a five foot porch roof
overhang.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"al" wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone had experience with keypad entry door knobs? Wondering
whether the electronics are reliable and hold up over time or whether
you end up using the keys after a while. If I were to use one it
would be sheltered somewhat from weather by a five foot porch roof
overhang.

I have only one and it is used an a once a week or so basis for about 15
years now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19 Apr 2007 08:50:39 -0700, al wrote:

Has anyone had experience with keypad entry door knobs? Wondering
whether the electronics are reliable and hold up over time or whether
you end up using the keys after a while. If I were to use one it
would be sheltered somewhat from weather by a five foot porch roof
overhang.

Thanks.

There are two types. One purely mechanical and the other battery
powered. The battery types support multiple entry codes, which is
handy for setting a temporary code for cleaners, service people,
relatives, etc.

I had a battery type for 10 years or so on my previous house with no
issues at all. I made sure to change the batteries every year when I
changed the smoke detector batteries. The one I had (sorry, I don't
remember brand) can also be opened with a key from the outside, and a
knob from the inside. I plan to put one on my new house, when I get a
round to it.

It's very convenient.

HTH,

Paul

Help Program 10 Year Old Craftsman 1/2HP Garage Door Opener Wired Keypad RG Home Repair 4 October 25th 06 04:17 AM
door knobs CJT Home Repair 9 November 28th 05 04:13 AM
keypad control for automatic garage door Art Home Repair 9 October 19th 05 04:46 PM
antique glass door knobs I & H Prees Home Repair 4 February 23rd 04 07:13 PM
Sears Garage Door Opener, Remote Keypad Problem John W. Wells Home Repair 7 June 25th 03 04:37 AM