Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Franklin Paul Franklin is offline

Default Keypad entry door knobs?

On 19 Apr 2007 08:50:39 -0700, al wrote:

Has anyone had experience with keypad entry door knobs? Wondering
whether the electronics are reliable and hold up over time or whether
you end up using the keys after a while. If I were to use one it
would be sheltered somewhat from weather by a five foot porch roof
overhang.

Thanks.

There are two types. One purely mechanical and the other battery
powered. The battery types support multiple entry codes, which is
handy for setting a temporary code for cleaners, service people,
relatives, etc.

I had a battery type for 10 years or so on my previous house with no
issues at all. I made sure to change the batteries every year when I
changed the smoke detector batteries. The one I had (sorry, I don't
remember brand) can also be opened with a key from the outside, and a
knob from the inside. I plan to put one on my new house, when I get a
round to it.

It's very convenient.

HTH,

Paul