Posted to alt.home.repair
DA DA is offline

Default Can you bend roofing nails on the inside?

Here is what I mean by that: I have some useful space in the attic above
the garage. The previous owner had installed a pull-down ladder and nailed
a couple of plywood sheets to the top plates. I just want to expand on
that and make more room covered with plywood so I can store stuff up
there.

There is one problem though: the roofing nails are protruding about 1" to
2" into the inside making this space literally a hard hat area. Having
scratched my head couple times already, I'd like to do something about the
nails if at all possible.

So, can I use my trusty pliers to bend the nails (to the side or all the
way back up) so the roof does not look like bed-of-nails from the inside
or I am running the risk of disturbing the shingles?

Is it a bad idea to just snip them (almost) flush?

What would you do? Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks!

D~

\//.
-------------------------------------

News and Discussions Community of the Net
Posted to alt.home.repair

No, you can't bend them without loosening them.

Snipping them would be better, but that is a lot of work, and you are sure
to miss some.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Noozer" wrote in message
No, you can't bend them without loosening them.

Snipping them would be better, but that is a lot of work, and you are sure
to miss some.

If they are head-pokers (like in an attic or cabin), wine corks pushed over
them provide decorative and artistic-looking protection.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Noozer" wrote in message
No, you can't bend them without loosening them.

Snipping them would be better, but that is a lot of work, and you are sure
to miss some.

Per code, they must protrude a minimum amount, about 3/4" I believe.
Therefore snipping is bad. It seems to me that there should be some rafters
hanging below the nails. Cover them with some cheap plywood strips to keep
the head from hitting the nails.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
(DA) wrote:

[...]

Dunno about the nails but it always makes me a tad nervous when people
start making storage shelves out of joists. They weren't designed to be
load bearing.

Depends on the joists and how the roof was framed. On 2x4s, especially if
only every 24" like is common in standalone garages, no. On truss roofs, no,
unless they are rated for it. If 2x8 16"OC, good enough for light storage.
Yeah, I have seen some overhead storage that scared me- plywood decking on
collar ties or trusses, visibly sagging. Attics are generally lousy storage
space- too hot, and too hard to get anything heavy up there. But for light
stuff like empty suitcases and xmas decorations, it can be okay. I'd never
put important papers or valuables up there.

aems ends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
DA DA is offline

DA had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...de-240557-.htm
:

Mike Dobony wrote:

Per code, they must protrude a minimum amount, about 3/4" I
believe.
Therefore snipping is bad. It seems to me that there should be some
rafters
hanging below the nails. Cover them with some cheap plywood strips to
keep
the head from hitting the nails.

Thank you for your suggestions, Mike. It appears that touching the nails
in any way is just inviting some trouble. I'm going to investigate a
possibility of covering the nails with plywood nailed the rafters.

Well, frankly, the idea of the wine bottle corks on the nails appeals even
better to me due to no need to mess with any structural elements of the
roof but I'm afraid my liver is not going to make it all the way through
the roof, so to speak. There are hundreds upon hundreds of nails to cover
:-)

Cheers!
D~

\//.
-------------------------------------

News and Discussions Community of the Net
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dunno about the nails but it always makes me a tad nervous when people
start making storage shelves out of joists. They weren't designed to be
load bearing.

It doesn't look right to me either, but it is commonly done and I have not
heard of a problem resulting from it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 07 Aug 2007 02:45:04 GMT, (DA)
wrote:

[...]

I keep a hard hat in the attic. Seriously.

When I go to parts of my attic, the nails were a problem for 24 years,
but after the second roof it was worse because he used longer nails.

Most of the time, I'm in the part that is taller than my head, and
most of the rest of the time, I'm close to the floor or I keep my head
down so as to not be hit by a nail, but I learned the hard way (and my
hair is thinner now**, so without the hard hat, I don't have as much
protection.)

**Although it hasn't turned grey and the hairline hasn't receded, but
I only have half as much hair or less. I would find lots of it on my
keyboard between 51 and 56, but it seemed to mostly stop when I was
about 56.

Thanks!

D~

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 6, 10:45 pm, (DA) wrote:
[...]

lose the stuff, it's cheaper.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

"aemeijers" wrote in message

"Noozer" wrote in message
No, you can't bend them without loosening them.

Snipping them would be better, but that is a lot of work, and you
are sure to miss some.

If they are head-pokers (like in an attic or cabin), wine corks
pushed over them provide decorative and artistic-looking
protection.

aem sends....

I just love that decorative and artistic-look look in an attic.
If you buy it, I'll help dispose of the wine cause you'll need a lot
of corks.
Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

DA wrote:

Thank you for your suggestions, Mike. It appears that touching the
nails in any way is just inviting some trouble. I'm going to
investigate a possibility of covering the nails with plywood nailed
the rafters.

Well, frankly, the idea of the wine bottle corks on the nails appeals
even better to me due to no need to mess with any structural elements
of the roof but I'm afraid my liver is not going to make it all the
way through the roof, so to speak. There are hundreds upon hundreds
of nails to cover :-)

Here's a spot for corks: 1000 for $40.00. They also have wood plugs, shelf
pins, hole plugs, fastcaps, rubber stoppers, wine corks, and other fun
stuff.

http://www.widgetco.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Toller wrote:
Dunno about the nails but it always makes me a tad nervous when people
start making storage shelves out of joists. They weren't designed to be
load bearing.

It doesn't look right to me either, but it is commonly done and I have not
heard of a problem resulting from it.

Being in the business, I have seen a lot of damage from it. I
have made a lot of money repairing trusses and ceiling joists
from overloading. I had a guy that called me and asked me to
repair some drywall that was coming off of the ceiling of his
garage. I did the repairs after he removed the engine blocks
from the attic (3 four cylinder engine blocks setting on
plywood on a 2x4 truss roof/ceiling. He had to cut away some
of the braces in order to get the plywood in the attic. He
had about 4" of deflection in his ceiling, which was causing
the drywall to fail. I was surprised that he wasn't dead.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

om...

Mike Dobony wrote:

Per code, they must protrude a minimum amount, about 3/4" I
believe.
Therefore snipping is bad. It seems to me that there should be some
rafters
hanging below the nails. Cover them with some cheap plywood strips to
keep
the head from hitting the nails.

Thank you for your suggestions, Mike. It appears that touching the nails
in any way is just inviting some trouble. I'm going to investigate a
possibility of covering the nails with plywood nailed the rafters.

Well, frankly, the idea of the wine bottle corks on the nails appeals even
better to me due to no need to mess with any structural elements of the
roof but I'm afraid my liver is not going to make it all the way through
the roof, so to speak. There are hundreds upon hundreds of nails to cover

However you might loosen up some nails and help them to blow off in a good
wind by pressing corks on the nails.

:-)

Cheers!
D~

\//.
-------------------------------------

News and Discussions Community of the Net

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 8/6/2007 10:45 PM DA said the following:
[...]

Just cover the rafters with plywood, sheetrock, cardboard, or anything
else that will keep your head from hitting the nails.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 6, 7:45 pm, (DA) wrote:
[...]

Others have made the suggestion to cover with plywood or wood strips.
Another possible is foam sheets (maby be glue them up there).

For sure _do not_ bend the nails or you will suffer the consequences
when it comes time to re-roof.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote in
oups.com:

On Aug 6, 7:45 pm, (DA) wrote:
[...]

Foam sheets - exactly my thought. 1.5" thick, used for foundations I
think. Or maybe sheets of cheaper regular styrofoam from a craft store or
something. Just cut and press onto nails. That should easily hold it
without glue.

HOWEVER!

I don't know if this would be good or bad.

I'm wondering if it would cause additional heat to be trapped in the
attic and screw up everything from sheathing to shingles. You think your
head hurts now...

-or-

actually prevent some amount of heat from naturally entering the attic
from the sun beating on the roof.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 7, 8:35 pm, Al Bundy wrote:
Harry K wrote groups.com:

On Aug 6, 7:45 pm, (DA) wrote:
[...]

from the sun beating on the roof.- Hide quoted text -

Giving it just a bit more thought. The foam idea, while attractive is
not a
"good idea" (tm) due to the additional fire hazard. Also upon sale or
inspection (for whatever reason) of the house that would all have to
be removed or covered with fireproofing.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 20:52:53 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

About 20 years ago, popular science did a how-to article about
constructing an attic railroad. IIRC, a big circle (many-sided polygon)
of 2 x 4 rails with storage wagons riding on them. Then you just stand
at the top of the ladder, and push the thing around until the stuff you
want is next to you. A giant lazy susan, if you will.

Somehow this reminds me of the article 45 years ago about how to make
your own switches for a Lionel train.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

About 20 years ago, popular science did a how-to article about
constructing an attic railroad. IIRC, a big circle (many-sided polygon)
of 2 x 4 rails with storage wagons riding on them. Then you just stand
at the top of the ladder, and push the thing around until the stuff you
want is next to you. A giant lazy susan, if you will.

Somehow this reminds me of the article 45 years ago about how to make
your own switches for a Lionel train.

Make your own switches? You mean by splicing a curved and a straight
section together? Powered? Did you try it? It sounds tedious, I think
I'd rather buy a switch.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 03:33:42 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

wrote:

About 20 years ago, popular science did a how-to article about
constructing an attic railroad. IIRC, a big circle (many-sided polygon)
of 2 x 4 rails with storage wagons riding on them. Then you just stand
at the top of the ladder, and push the thing around until the stuff you
want is next to you. A giant lazy susan, if you will.

Somehow this reminds me of the article 45 years ago about how to make
your own switches for a Lionel train.

Make your own switches? You mean by splicing a curved and a straight
section together?

Yes.

Powered?

Not their design. Not my plan.

Did you try it?

No. For one thing, I had no extra track. So no track to make the
switch out of and no track for a siding to connect the switch to.

It sounds tedious, I think
I'd rather buy a switch.

Maybe, but we had no money, except for food and other essentials.

I'm raised in a generation when if someone had food and a place to
live and a couple toys and maybe even a vacation every few years, that
was real good. I still feel that way.

As I used to say after my father died when I was 8, "My mother gave me
everything I wanted as long as I didn't want anything."

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 8/10/2007 2:00 AM mm said the following:
On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 03:33:42 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

We had all the money we would ever need in our lifetimes...
....unless we wanted to buy something.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY