Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Can you bend roofing nails on the inside?

on 8/6/2007 10:45 PM DA said the following:
Here is what I mean by that: I have some useful space in the attic above
the garage. The previous owner had installed a pull-down ladder and nailed
a couple of plywood sheets to the top plates. I just want to expand on
that and make more room covered with plywood so I can store stuff up
there.

There is one problem though: the roofing nails are protruding about 1" to
2" into the inside making this space literally a hard hat area. Having
scratched my head couple times already, I'd like to do something about the
nails if at all possible.

So, can I use my trusty pliers to bend the nails (to the side or all the
way back up) so the roof does not look like bed-of-nails from the inside
or I am running the risk of disturbing the shingles?

Is it a bad idea to just snip them (almost) flush?

What would you do? Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks!

D~

Just cover the rafters with plywood, sheetrock, cardboard, or anything
else that will keep your head from hitting the nails.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY