Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What could have done this to my vinyl siding?

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Squisher/IMG_6627.JPG

There are no heat sources behind that wall besides a toaster oven that sits
on the counter top and is seldom used. I would think any heat source from
inside would have caused some damage to the cabinet directly above. This is
new housing so the walls are insulated.

I haven't used any chemicals on the deck since the spring of '06.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CraigT" wrote in message
. ..
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Squisher/IMG_6627.JPG

There are no heat sources behind that wall besides a toaster oven that
sits on the counter top and is seldom used. I would think any heat source
from inside would have caused some damage to the cabinet directly above.
This is new housing so the walls are insulated.

I haven't used any chemicals on the deck since the spring of '06.

Looks like a gas or charcoal grill sitting there did the nasty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

CraigT wrote:
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Squisher/IMG_6627.JPG

There are no heat sources behind that wall besides a toaster oven that sits
on the counter top and is seldom used. I would think any heat source from
inside would have caused some damage to the cabinet directly above. This is
new housing so the walls are insulated.

I haven't used any chemicals on the deck since the spring of '06.

It's not a manufacturer defect, or it wouldn't all be in the same spot
like that.

My guess is that you had something on the deck or the railing that
reflected the sun on that spot. Maybe a snow shovel leaning against the
railing, depending on which direction that wall faces. Or maybe
something dark leaning against the wall?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "CraigT" wrote:
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Squisher/IMG_6627.JPG

There are no heat sources behind that wall besides a toaster oven that sits
on the counter top and is seldom used. I would think any heat source from
inside would have caused some damage to the cabinet directly above. This is
new housing so the walls are insulated.

Solvent out-gassing from the recently-applied coat of stain visible in the
photo.

I haven't used any chemicals on the deck since the spring of '06.

Sure doesn't look like it. Did you mean '07 ?

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Are the outlets and wall light working? Maybe there was a small electrical
fire behind the siding.

"CraigT" wrote in message
. ..
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Squisher/IMG_6627.JPG

There are no heat sources behind that wall besides a toaster oven that
sits on the counter top and is seldom used. I would think any heat source
from inside would have caused some damage to the cabinet directly above.
This is new housing so the walls are insulated.

I haven't used any chemicals on the deck since the spring of '06.

Posted to alt.home.repair

CraigT wrote:
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Squisher/IMG_6627.JPG

There are no heat sources behind that wall besides a toaster oven that sits
on the counter top and is seldom used. I would think any heat source from
inside would have caused some damage to the cabinet directly above. This is
new housing so the walls are insulated.

I haven't used any chemicals on the deck since the spring of '06.

It not only looks melted, it looks burnt. Scary. What is peculiar is
that the melt doesn't look like it goes straight up, as if something hot
was set there and the heat would radiate and rise. Does the light
fixture have curved lenses that could concentrate and focus the
sunlight? Might take an alignment of all the planets for that to happen
) Kids been experimenting?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"CraigT" wrote in message
. ..
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Squisher/IMG_6627.JPG

There are no heat sources behind that wall besides a toaster oven that
sits on the counter top and is seldom used. I would think any heat source
from inside would have caused some damage to the cabinet directly above.
This is new housing so the walls are insulated.

I haven't used any chemicals on the deck since the spring of '06.

Wow, that had to be heated over 200 degrees. Given the location, was
anything on the deck rail? Leaning against it? Could the wires behind the
light and receptacle have been shorted and started a fire?

Something like a grill too close could do it, but the location seems
unlikely for that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Here is a pic of the deck, the damaged area is on the far left. My grill is
under that striped cover on the right.

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Squisher/IMG_6628.JPG

There is an outlet behind that area. It is a GFCI that controls half of the
kitchen outlets. I have put my hand all over that wall on the inside and
out, I feel no heat and see no damage on the inside including the outlet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
et...
In article , "CraigT"
wrote:
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Squisher/IMG_6627.JPG

There are no heat sources behind that wall besides a toaster oven that
sits
on the counter top and is seldom used. I would think any heat source from
inside would have caused some damage to the cabinet directly above. This
is
new housing so the walls are insulated.

Solvent out-gassing from the recently-applied coat of stain visible in the
photo.

I haven't used any chemicals on the deck since the spring of '06.

Sure doesn't look like it. Did you mean '07 ?

I think we have a winner here- that looks chemical, not heat-related. My
first thought was that whoever did the last stain job on rail got a glob on
wall, and wiped it down with the wrong solvent to clean it off. Even if the
solvent didn't cause immediate visible damage, it could have made the
plastic more sun-sensitive.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CraigT" writes:

Here is a pic of the deck, the damaged area is on the far left. My grill is
under that striped cover on the right.

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Squisher/IMG_6628.JPG

There is an outlet behind that area. It is a GFCI that controls half of the
kitchen outlets. I have put my hand all over that wall on the inside and
out, I feel no heat and see no damage on the inside including the outlet.

Do you have kids?

Somehow that area was subjected to heat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Art" wrote in message
ink.net...
Are the outlets and wall light working? Maybe there was a small
electrical fire behind the siding.

That's what I was thinking, seeing the outlet right there, and possibly a
wire path.

I don't think it would be chemicals, vinyl is pretty inert stuff. But I
don't know I've never applied mineral spirits or thinner to it - both would
be used to clean up the finish on that railing.

"CraigT" wrote in message
. ..
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Squisher/IMG_6627.JPG

There are no heat sources behind that wall besides a toaster oven that
sits on the counter top and is seldom used. I would think any heat source
from inside would have caused some damage to the cabinet directly above.
This is new housing so the walls are insulated.

I haven't used any chemicals on the deck since the spring of '06.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 21, 4:20 pm, "CraigT" wrote:
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Squisher/IMG_6627.JPG

There are no heat sources behind that wall besides a toaster oven that sits
on the counter top and is seldom used. I would think any heat source from
inside would have caused some damage to the cabinet directly above. This is
new housing so the walls are insulated.

I haven't used any chemicals on the deck since the spring of '06.

How come I can't see the picture? All I get is a wierd picture of text
that says:

pics.
bbzzdd.
com
unauthorized
referrer
sorry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 21, 8:52 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jul 21, 4:20 pm, "CraigT" wrote:

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Squisher/IMG_6627.JPG

There are no heat sources behind that wall besides a toaster oven that sits
on the counter top and is seldom used. I would think any heat source from
inside would have caused some damage to the cabinet directly above. This is
new housing so the walls are insulated.

I haven't used any chemicals on the deck since the spring of '06.

How come I can't see the picture? All I get is a wierd picture of text
that says:

pics.
bbzzdd.
com
unauthorized
referrer
sorry

Same here I can't see the pic but from the descriptions my question
would be....

was there a lightning storm recently?

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't know. Try dragging the the icon next to the URL to the status bar at
the bottom of the window.

BTW- no little kids that could have done this.

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Jul 21, 4:20 pm, "CraigT" wrote:
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Squisher/IMG_6627.JPG

There are no heat sources behind that wall besides a toaster oven that
sits
on the counter top and is seldom used. I would think any heat source from
inside would have caused some damage to the cabinet directly above. This
is
new housing so the walls are insulated.

I haven't used any chemicals on the deck since the spring of '06.

How come I can't see the picture? All I get is a wierd picture of text
that says:

pics.
bbzzdd.
com
unauthorized
referrer
sorry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 01:38:00 GMT, "aemeijers"
wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. net...
In article , "CraigT"
wrote:
[...]

Acetone!!??

--
Oren

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 18:52:45 -0700, DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Jul 21, 4:20 pm, "CraigT" wrote:
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Squisher/IMG_6627.JPG

There are no heat sources behind that wall besides a toaster oven that sits
on the counter top and is seldom used. I would think any heat source from
inside would have caused some damage to the cabinet directly above. This is
new housing so the walls are insulated.

I haven't used any chemicals on the deck since the spring of '06.

How come I can't see the picture? All I get is a wierd picture of text

Try a different browser?

I have trouble freequently with tinypic, but I haven't tried a
different browser so I don't know if that is it or not.

that says:

pics.
bbzzdd.
com
unauthorized
referrer
sorry

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
.net...
In article , "CraigT"
wrote:
[...]

I did use something to remove some overspray at the time which was the
spring of last year. I think it was Motsenbocker's Lift-Off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 21, 4:20 pm, "CraigT" wrote:

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Squisher/IMG_6627.JPG

There are no heat sources behind that wall besides a toaster oven that sits
on the counter top and is seldom used. I would think any heat source from
inside would have caused some damage to the cabinet directly above. This is
new housing so the walls are insulated.

I haven't used any chemicals on the deck since the spring of '06.

How come I can't see the picture? All I get is a wierd picture of text
that says:

pics.
bbzzdd.
com
unauthorized
referrer
sorry

Same here I can't see the pic but from the descriptions my question
would be....

I think the Internet needs to BURP!. It gets the hiccups now and then.

Two links in another thread acted this way the other day, for me.

Don't change software - yet!

was there a lightning storm recently?

Mark

--
Oren

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CraigT" wrote in message
. ..

wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
y.net...
In article , "CraigT"
wrote:
[...]

Did the builder leave any siding scraps in garage ceiling, crawlspace, or
similar? Sounds like time for a test. For that matter, since you will be
replacing that area of siding anyway, just test it next to the current
damaged spot. By the way- time to start looking for the matching siding to
do the repairs with. Colors and surface textures change from year to year,
so the place only being a couple years old is in your favor. A good siding
guy should be able to piece in replacement strips with no problem, but he
probably won't wanna hunt down matching material for you. If the builder
still has a local office, they can probably pull up the file and tell you
the make and color number. I'd buy a whole bundle, and keep the extras in
garage attic or similar. You, or the next owner, will need them at some
point.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
-snip- that looks chemical, not heat-related. My
first thought was that whoever did the last stain job on rail got a glob on
wall, and wiped it down with the wrong solvent to clean it off. Even if the
solvent didn't cause immediate visible damage, it could have made the
plastic more sun-sensitive.

aem sends...

I'll vote for Doug Miller and aemeijers suggestion -- looks chemical and
likely caused by harsh solvent ingredient (like acetone) used to remove
deck stain overspray and damage took time to become apparent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Squisher/IMG_6627.JPG

Whatever solvent was used to remove the sloppy overspray from the vinyl.
Look at the bottom of the picture..there s more overspray there..Who
"Sprayed" the vinyl ? They were lazy, should have spent a little time
masking it over prior to staining.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 22:51:25 -0400, "CraigT"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:
[...]

Lift-Off? Which product? 1,2,3,4, or 5?

http://www.liftoffinc.com/products.htm

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote
"CraigT" wrote:

There are no heat sources behind that wall besides a toaster oven that
sits
on the counter top and is seldom used. I would think any heat source from
inside would have caused some damage to the cabinet directly above. This
is
new housing so the walls are insulated.

I haven't used any chemicals on the deck since the spring of '06.

Photoshop?

==
Haha! That was my first thought. (But, it might have been the Lift-Off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 05:02:43 GMT, "Gini" wrote:

Photoshop?

Haha! That was my first thought. (But, it might have been the Lift-Off.

So you thought this was a farce on first thought? Some gimmick in
PhotoShop? Folks here are smarter than that...

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Here a close up picture, so you know I didn't Photoshop it.

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Squisher/IMG_6625.JPG

Here is a pic of the deck. The damaged area is all the way to the left.

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Squisher/IMG_6628.JPG

I think I used Lift-Off #5 because the stain was from DEFY epoxy stain which
is water based, but don't hold me to that, this was 16 months ago. Infact I
used the whole DEFY system, stripper. brightener, then the stain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 22, 9:05 am, "CraigT" wrote:
Here a close up picture, so you know I didn't Photoshop it.

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Squisher/IMG_6625.JPG

Here is a pic of the deck. The damaged area is all the way to the left.

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Squisher/IMG_6628.JPG

I think I used Lift-Off #5 because the stain was from DEFY epoxy stain which
is water based, but don't hold me to that, this was 16 months ago. Infact I
used the whole DEFY system, stripper. brightener, then the stain.

- Here a close up picture, so you know I didn't Photoshop it.
-
- http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Squisher/IMG_6625.JPG

Relax...I was kidding.

By the way, if I paste your links into a new browser window, they work
fine. If I click on them in your posts, I get that weird "picture of
text" msg that I mentioned earlier. Even weirder, if I refresh the
window with the "error message",your melted siding shows up. Never
seen that before.

Posted to alt.home.repair

By the way, if I paste your links into a new browser window, they work
fine. If I click on them in your posts, I get that weird "picture of
text" msg that I mentioned earlier. Even weirder, if I refresh the
window with the "error message",your melted siding shows up. Never
seen that before.

You're ISPs proxy server is goofing up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 22, 11:12 am, "Noozer" wrote:
By the way, if I paste your links into a new browser window, they work
fine. If I click on them in your posts, I get that weird "picture of
text" msg that I mentioned earlier. Even weirder, if I refresh the
window with the "error message",your melted siding shows up. Never
seen that before.

- You're ISPs proxy server is goofing up.

For just the links in this thread? Possible, but doubtful. All other
links in other posts and other newsgroups work fine. Besides, the
error message is not the type you would typically get from a server.

It's a gif with the title IMG_662x.gif with the x matching the last
digit of the images that the OP is using in his posts. The URL in the
properties box of the gif matches the URL of the link in the thread.

Here's a copy of what I get:

http://dingo.care2.com/pictures/c2c/.../7/6790758.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 22, 11:34 am, Meat Plow wrote:
On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 15:12:16 +0000, Noozer wrote:

By the way, if I paste your links into a new browser window, they work
fine. If I click on them in your posts, I get that weird "picture of
text" msg that I mentioned earlier. Even weirder, if I refresh the
window with the "error message",your melted siding shows up. Never
seen that before.

---- You're ISPs proxy server is goofing up.

-- More like Google is goofing up.

What does Google have to do with this?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"FM" wrote in message
"CraigT" wrote in
:

Here a close up picture, so you know I didn't Photoshop it.

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Squisher/IMG_6625.JPG

Here is a pic of the deck. The damaged area is all the way to the
left.

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Squisher/IMG_6628.JPG

I think I used Lift-Off #5 because the stain was from DEFY epoxy stain
which is water based, but don't hold me to that, this was 16 months
ago. Infact I used the whole DEFY system, stripper. brightener, then
the stain.

That ugly plastic "siding" looks like hell. It makes your house look like
a shanty.

The front looks better, half brick, half vinyl.

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Squisher/GLR2HM.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

- You're ISPs proxy server is goofing up.

For just the links in this thread? Possible, but doubtful. All other
links in other posts and other newsgroups work fine. Besides, the
error message is not the type you would typically get from a server.

It's a gif with the title IMG_662x.gif with the x matching the last
digit of the images that the OP is using in his posts. The URL in the
properties box of the gif matches the URL of the link in the thread.

Here's a copy of what I get:

http://dingo.care2.com/pictures/c2c/.../7/6790758.jpg

How are you reading the groups? Google page or a news client?

That looks like the server hosting the pictures does not like the page you
are coming from.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "CraigT" wrote:

"FM" wrote in message
.. .

That ugly plastic "siding" looks like hell. It makes your house look like
a shanty.

The front looks better, half brick, half vinyl.

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Squisher/GLR2HM.jpg

Brick veneer on a vinyl house = lipstick on a pig.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://dingo.care2.com/pictures/c2c/...ivative/6/7/67...

- How are you reading the groups? Google page or a news client?

That looks like the server hosting the pictures does not like the page you
are coming from.

- How are you reading the groups? Google page or a news client?

Google page in IE7, and like I've said...it's only the links in this
thread that are giving me a problem, and it's only when I click on
them in the thread. *Most* of the time, refreshing the page, pasting
the link into a different browser window or even using Ctrl-n in the
page with the error will produce the pictures that the OP posted.

I'll try them from work in the morning...totally different ISP and
network path since it's on a secure corporate network. Stay tuned.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CraigT" wrote

The front looks better, half brick, half vinyl.

==
Nice. Love that front window--You must have a great foyer!

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://dingo.care2.com/pictures/c2c/...ivative/6/7/67...

- How are you reading the groups? Google page or a news client?

That looks like the server hosting the pictures does not like the page
you
are coming from.

- How are you reading the groups? Google page or a news client?

Google page in IE7, and like I've said...it's only the links in this
thread that are giving me a problem, and it's only when I click on
them in the thread.

Well problem #1 is that you're using Google to read groups.

The server that is hosting the pictures won't allow links from Google.
Google is the referrer that you see in the error message. When you copy the
link to a new browser then you aren't being "referred" to the page by Google
and it works.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 21, 10:11?pm, "aemeijers" wrote:
"CraigT" wrote in message

. ..

.. .

wrote:
[...]

aem sends....- Hide quoted text -

If the builder is still working in the subdivision, look for the
siding guys. Offer them a few bucks to repair it after work as a
small side job, and ask them if they have any of that siding around.
You may get the right color and have it done without having to call
someone out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 22, 9:13 pm, "Noozer" wrote:
[...]

Considering it's the only server that I have ever had trouble with, I
think I'll stay with my current methods. Since I read these groups on
multiple machines, some of which I couldn't install a news client on
if I wanted too, I'm not looking to access these groups in different
manners depending on what machine I happen to sit down at. I've got
enough things confusing me already, I don't need to add another
one. ;-)

In any case. thanks for the info.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

- Well problem #1 is that you're using Google to read groups.

Considering it's the only server that I have ever had trouble with, I
think I'll stay with my current methods. Since I read these groups on
multiple machines, some of which I couldn't install a news client on
if I wanted too, I'm not looking to access these groups in different
manners depending on what machine I happen to sit down at. I've got
enough things confusing me already, I don't need to add another
one. ;-)

In any case. thanks for the info.

If you're on a Windows machine, you already have a news reader installed.
Outlook Express is part of the Windows distribution.

Vinyl Siding losthenfound Home Repair 12 March 11th 06 02:44 AM
100 yr old house, stucco over wood siding - now vinyl siding on top? [email protected] Home Repair 7 September 26th 05 08:52 PM
Vinyl siding to replace wood siding. ADD Home Repair 7 May 11th 05 02:22 PM
Styrofoam Between Present T1-11 Siding & New Vinyl Siding: Worth It ? Robert11 Home Repair 7 January 25th 05 12:42 AM
Styrofoam Between Present T1-11 Siding & New Vinyl Siding: Worth It ? Robert11 Home Ownership 0 January 24th 05 06:07 PM