Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dog problem

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 10:50:05 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

:On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 20:24:23 GMT, Dan_Musicant
:wrote:
:
:Lived here ~25 years, bought the house March 2000. Soon afterward met a
:snip
:
:footing I'm on here. Is this guy required to clean up after the dogs?
:
:TIA for wisdom, etc.
:
:Dan
:
:
:There isn't much you can really do and remain on good terms with your
:neighbor. At one time my neighbor had 16 (large) dogs and the stench
:and flies was intense. Our city requires three unrelated neighbors to
:sign a complaint about dogs. You might consider growing mint near the
ile or just stay inside.

Funny you say this because there's been a pretty big mint patch about 10
feet from that back fence. This year for some reason it's died back
considerably. I'd come to regard it as a problem, because the mint,
originally confined to a plastic pot one of my house mates had
ascertained, had jumped to the yard and as you probably know, mint is
quite invasive. It spreads with runners and until recently has been very
hardy here.

16 large dogs in your neighbor's yard sounds like a living hell!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan_Musicant wrote in message ...

His house is generally upwind of his back yard, is a big part of the
problem, I figure. I don't think he has a wife. I don't know this for

fact, but I suspect he lives there alone with his dogs. His house is

due
west of the back yard, and the prevailing winds in Berkeley are from

the
west or northwest. Only on rare days do we get offshore winds, and

only
then would he sense the problem, assuming some of his windows were

open.

Dan

Good luck. The only thing worse than living next to all that poop, is
living next to a person that you don't get along with. That can be a
living Hell. I hope it works out for you, and you and he can solve it
amicably. Take care.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped
:
:There isn't much you can really do and remain on good terms with your
:neighbor. At one time my neighbor had 16 (large) dogs and the stench
:and flies was intense. Our city requires three unrelated neighbors to
:sign a complaint about dogs. You might consider growing mint near the
ile or just stay inside.

Funny you say this because there's been a pretty big mint patch about 10
feet from that back fence. This year for some reason it's died back
considerably. I'd come to regard it as a problem, because the mint,
originally confined to a plastic pot one of my house mates had
ascertained, had jumped to the yard and as you probably know, mint is
quite invasive. It spreads with runners and until recently has been very
hardy here.

16 large dogs in your neighbor's yard sounds like a living hell!

Mint is a seriously weedy plant. For the more important problem, I
would call the health department, tell them the neighbor's yard is full
of dog feces and is attracting rats. You won't be fibbing, because you
may not have seen them yet but it is attracting them )

I am very disinclined about approaching neighbors personally - if he
likes dog poop all over the yard, he may not share your good-neighbor
instincts. Read your city building code - it must have a clause about
accumulated garbage/waste, noxious odors, etc. Make an anonymous
complaint, if your city accepts them, first. May sound "chicken" to
some, but I have met my share of nasty, vindictive neighbors - code
allows anonymous complaints for a good reason.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:
..... - code
allows anonymous complaints for a good reason.

Except that code doesn't allow complaints to remain anonymous past the
initial investigation. If an agency takes action -- a fine or citation --
the records become public for due process proceedings at hearings. The name
of all complainants will be made public.

Dan (the OP) is right on the money with his approach. There is plenty of
time to involve government if the neighbor persists in his behavior once Dan
talks with him.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 21:42:11 GMT, Dan_Musicant
wrote:

Now, I'm certain that it's an egregious code violation.

This should help... (sorry but I had to).

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...dogscooper.jpg

(GRIN)
--
Oren

If your not getting it from the horses mouth, You're listening to the wrong end.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave Bugg wrote:
Norminn wrote:
..... - code
allows anonymous complaints for a good reason.

Except that code doesn't allow complaints to remain anonymous past the
initial investigation. If an agency takes action -- a fine or
citation -- the records become public for due process proceedings at
hearings. The name of all complainants will be made public.

Dan (the OP) is right on the money with his approach. There is plenty
of time to involve government if the neighbor persists in his
behavior once Dan talks with him.

Get a ringer to file the complaint; an out-of-town relative, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Reason I jumped to my conclusion is that this guy has a yard full of dog
crap that he must be constantly stepping into and smelling in his own
house. I would not anticipate him to be reasonable since apparently he
likes living under these conditions and would not understand why you
don't too. If you speak to him, I doubt he would comply, and then if
you turn him in, then he would think it was you and you would be the
enemy and the cause of his problem. Normally I would discuss a problem
with a neighbor before using the nuclear option but I think it is needed
here.
Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
Reason I jumped to my conclusion is that this guy has a yard full of...

What conclusion? To what or whom are you replying? You need to include a bit
of the text to which you are replying.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Dave Bugg wrote:
Norminn wrote:
..... - code
allows anonymous complaints for a good reason.

Except that code doesn't allow complaints to remain anonymous past
the initial investigation. If an agency takes action -- a fine or
citation -- the records become public for due process proceedings at
hearings. The name of all complainants will be made public.

Dan (the OP) is right on the money with his approach. There is plenty
of time to involve government if the neighbor persists in his
behavior once Dan talks with him.

Get a ringer to file the complaint; an out-of-town relative, etc.

You can do that, but what standing does the ringer have? How would they be
directly affected? If somebody who doesn't live near the poop-dude turned in
a complaint, it wouldn't get investigated. I would be thinking someone was
trying to pull a prank or has a grudge.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 19, 5:59 pm, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 00:20:08 -0000, "

wrote:
How about spreading 'moth crystals' (like crushed moth balls) around
the area?

Lewis.

That will certainly keep the moths off the poo.

--
Oren

Yes, it probably would, but it is poisonous to dogs. And poisoning the
guys critters is likely to cause some serious neighborly problems.

I agree with the folks that are suggesting you tell the neighbor about
the smell bothering you. He really may not know. And at least you'll
have tried doing it in a neighborly way prior to asking for city
help.

As a responsible dog owner (I poop scoop once a day in winter, twice a
day in summer), it is awful to read about stuff like this. It gives
dog owners everywhere a bad name -- unfairly. I hope you'll give the
guy a change to mend his ways.

So long as you keep it civil and use the ol' Oprah "I Statement" trick
(try not to accuse him, just tell him that the smell is preventing you
from enjoying your back yard), it might work out OK.

Then again, it might not. He could get very defensive, but then you'll
have the city codes to back you up. http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/default.asp
will help you figure out what's legal and what's not.

Best of luck with it all.

--svs

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave Bugg wrote:
Get a ringer to file the complaint; an out-of-town relative, etc.

You can do that, but what standing does the ringer have? How would they be
directly affected? If somebody who doesn't live near the poop-dude turned in
a complaint, it wouldn't get investigated. I would be thinking someone was
trying to pull a prank or has a grudge.

If he has another neightbor he doesn't like, he could use his name and address.
I doubt the county has more than a passing interest in *who* complains.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Dave Bugg wrote:
Get a ringer to file the complaint; an out-of-town relative, etc.

You can do that, but what standing does the ringer have? How would
they be directly affected? If somebody who doesn't live near the
poop-dude turned in a complaint, it wouldn't get investigated. I
would be thinking someone was trying to pull a prank or has a grudge.

If he has another neightbor he doesn't like, he could use his name
and address. I doubt the county has more than a passing interest in
*who* complains.

A county agency can be subject to civil lawsuits if an investigation, based
on a 'complaint', was not valid. The validity of a complaint is always
established by a legitimate report. That does not mean that a county agency
cannot initiate an investigation. But if the agency investigated and took
action based on an complaint, it will document that the complaint is from a
real and valid source.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 20:00:43 -0400, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote:

Dave Bugg wrote:
Get a ringer to file the complaint; an out-of-town relative, etc.

You can do that, but what standing does the ringer have? How would they be
directly affected? If somebody who doesn't live near the poop-dude turned in
a complaint, it wouldn't get investigated. I would be thinking someone was
trying to pull a prank or has a grudge.

If he has another neightbor he doesn't like, he could use his name and address.
I doubt the county has more than a passing interest in *who* complains.

Sign the complaint and attest to the veracity of the report; using
another name? Come on!

My county requires multiple complaints from neighbors ( 3 ) and these
complaints need to be in close timing/dates.

Our animal control is under a lot of fire due to dying animals and
improper care of the facility. Experts were brought into Las Vegas to
help the county get corrected at the animal shelter.

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message

My county requires multiple complaints from neighbors ( 3 ) and these
complaints need to be in close timing/dates.

Even on public health or animal cruelty problems? That would make a lot of
sense.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

I live back east now, and something I noticed in early spring were ads
for people willing to come clean up the dog poop in your yard, I assume
for people who just let the dog out to poop in the snow but never
cleaned it up all winter. (Ewww... the mister was out there at least
once a week, no matter how damn cold it was!) We didn't own a dog when
we lived in the east bay, so I can't say I ever noticed people offering
those services, but maybe you could look around for a couple of phone
numbers to give the guy, maybe even check into the prices. Could be a
way to open up an amicable conversation?

Karen

Dan_Musicant wrote:
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 04:51:05 GMT, dkhedmo wrote:

:Are you actually in Berkeley? Berkeley municipal code states there
:should be no more than 4 dogs over age 6 months. If there are more adult
:dogs than that, they are required to have a kennel set-up which is
:approved by the humane society and there are set-back requirements for
:said kennels.
:
:As per recent CA laws regarding dogs being kept/tethered outside, etc.
:the following may be helpful:
:
: Section 10.04.140 Care requirements for dogs housed or left outdoors on private premises.
:
: C. Shelter. If a dog is housed or left outdoors, its owner/guardian shall provide a “shelter” structure or other space for the dog ... (f) be kept clean and maintained in a manner designed to insure the
:best possible sanitary conditions, e.g. excreta shall be removed from
:the shelter as often as necessary,
:
:
:Good luck dealing with Berkeley bureaucracy, you'll need it...
:
:Karen, who used to live in the East Bay and worked in Berkeley for many
:years

Yes, I'm actually in Berkeley and thanks for citing the city code. I'm
pretty sure he has less than 4 dogs, probably two. I figured that
Berkeley doesn't allow this guy to just let his dogs continually crap in
his backyard and never clean it up. I just went to my back fence with my
digicam and took 1/2 a dozen pictures. I hadn't taken the trouble to
look carefully before, but from my single vantage point on the fence I
could see that the dogs aren't just crapping next to the fence, but all
over the portion of his back yard that I can see -- the area in back of
his new garage, an area over 150 square feet, for sure. He just ignores
it, evidently. Many turds, most rather dried up by now, just sitting out
there. Now, I'm certain that it's an egregious code violation.

I've read all the posts up to this one and I'm inclined to agree with
the people who say I should talk to this guy before contemplating going
to the authorities. I can probably find the regulations online, FWIW,
but it isn't my inclination to go to the authorities if there's a chance
I can resolve a problem without doing so, and this situation can very
probably be so resolved. I'm not going over there today, because I want
to think about just what I'm going to say to this guy. He's tried to
come off as a nice guy, easy to get along with and I think if I approach
him in the right manner he will start keeping his back yard reasonably
clean. I don't want to create bad feelings, so I'm going to work on my
attitude, think about how to approach him. I've done many similar things
in the past (I think we all have), so I figure I can probably work this
problem out too. I don't think either of us needs to get belligerent.
It's been years, so there's no rush. I think the first step has been
made, actually, which is simply deciding that I'm going to talk to this
guy. It could happen today, it could happen in two weeks, who knows? But
it WILL happen! I rarely see him. He doesn't hang out in his back yard,
AFAIK. I may wait until I encounter him, or I may knock on his front
door. If I wait until I encounter him he will immediately realize I have
had something on my mind that I've wanted to talk to him about - not a
bad way to start the communication about this.

His house is generally upwind of his back yard, is a big part of the
problem, I figure. I don't think he has a wife. I don't know this for a
fact, but I suspect he lives there alone with his dogs. His house is due
west of the back yard, and the prevailing winds in Berkeley are from the
west or northwest. Only on rare days do we get offshore winds, and only
then would he sense the problem, assuming some of his windows were open.

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

Here you go:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pet/374165066.html
Leave the Disgusting Job to Us!

Karen

Dan_Musicant wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
How about spreading 'moth crystals' (like crushed moth balls) around
the area?

Lewis.

That will certainly keep the moths off the poo.

Oren

Yes, it probably would, but it is poisonous to dogs. And poisoning the
guys critters is likely to cause some serious neighborly problems.

I was being a bit sarcastic. reason being is that I've never witnessed
a moth on dog poo. Flies! Another story.

BTW, I've not even seen a dog eat a moth ball or get near one. They
will eat human food/plants that are poison.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 17:31:22 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
.. .

My county requires multiple complaints from neighbors ( 3 ) and these
complaints need to be in close timing/dates.

Even on public health or animal cruelty problems? That would make a lot of
sense.

Bob

Driving home one day; it is 110F in the desert. a dog barking for
'days' (hours each day). The owner is/was a casino worker and left the
dog outside.

On the turn to my area I spot a County Animal Control Officer on the
side of the street. She was apparently on her cell phone. I parked and
walked to the truck. Pleading with the official to "drive by" and
observe. Not a chance... Take the report and have others also
complain. Right!

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave Bugg wrote:
Frank wrote:
Reason I jumped to my conclusion is that this guy has a yard full of...

What conclusion? To what or whom are you replying? You need to include a bit
of the text to which you are replying.

You I guess, but who cares. Here's an extreme example in local paper:
http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/p...0348/1006/NEWS
Do you think this poor woman would have listened to neighbors complaints?
Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote in message
. ..
Dave Bugg wrote:
Frank wrote:
Reason I jumped to my conclusion is that this guy has a yard full of...

What conclusion? To what or whom are you replying? You need to include a
bit of the text to which you are replying.

You I guess, but who cares. Here's an extreme example in local paper:
http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/p...0348/1006/NEWS
Do you think this poor woman would have listened to neighbors complaints?
Frank

Reminds me of a picture in my college psychology textbook: Some poor soul
in a psych hospital, who had stacks of folded towels 10 feet high all around
his room. Some sort of OC behavior problem gone way over the top.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 07:34:09 -0400, Frank

Dave Bugg wrote:
Frank wrote:
Reason I jumped to my conclusion is that this guy has a yard full of...

What conclusion? To what or whom are you replying? You need to include a bit
of the text to which you are replying.

You I guess, but who cares. Here's an extreme example in local paper:
http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/p...0348/1006/NEWS
Do you think this poor woman would have listened to neighbors complaints?
Frank

No. I am familiar with "dog collectors" and "dog rescuers." They
feel that they can care for dogs better than anyone else and will save
any dog they can. It is a (not so uncommon) mental disorder. Anyone
with more than 4 dogs in the house is actually a kennel, not a house,
as defined by our local ordinance.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Dave Bugg wrote:
Frank wrote:
Reason I jumped to my conclusion is that this guy has a yard full of...

What conclusion? To what or whom are you replying? You need to include a bit
of the text to which you are replying.

You I guess, but who cares. Here's an extreme example in local paper:
http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/p...0348/1006/NEWS
Do you think this poor woman would have listened to neighbors complaints?
Frank

No. I am familiar with "dog collectors" and "dog rescuers." They
feel that they can care for dogs better than anyone else and will save
any dog they can. It is a (not so uncommon) mental disorder. Anyone
with more than 4 dogs in the house is actually a kennel, not a house,
as defined by our local ordinance.

"I am not a kennel." Richard Nixon.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Dave Bugg wrote:
Get a ringer to file the complaint; an out-of-town relative, etc.

You can do that, but what standing does the ringer have? How would they be
directly affected? If somebody who doesn't live near the poop-dude turned in
a complaint, it wouldn't get investigated. I would be thinking someone was
trying to pull a prank or has a grudge.

If he has another neightbor he doesn't like, he could use his name and address.
I doubt the county has more than a passing interest in *who* complains.

Sign the complaint and attest to the veracity of the report; using
another name? Come on!

One could probably use an address that doesn't exist. As to using
another name, there is generally nothing illegal about using another
name unless it is to commit fraud. It's still the person's name, even
if he just gave it to himself and even if it is not the one on his
driver's license.

In some cases, I'm guessing they may have laws about what name can be
used, but I suspect it is mostly about banking, and not about this.

As to attesting, I doubt that everywhere complaints requires
attestation, which implies an oath or the penalty of perjury. I'll
bet some places, especially places that haven't had many baseless
complaints, complaints can be filed by phone.

My county requires multiple complaints from neighbors ( 3 ) and these
complaints need to be in close timing/dates.

That might be true here about dogs being walked without a leash,
although I think it only requires 3 complaints by one person, but
that's because there is no evidence left behind.

Once they get out to his property and see the what's on it, they'll
have all hte evidence they need without any neighbor's cooperation.

Heck, they issue search warrants on the word of anonymous tips, I
think, or maybe the tipster has to be known to one cop etc., but I
don't think even the cop has to know the tipster's real name.

Laws vary.

Our animal control is under a lot of fire due to dying animals and
improper care of the facility. Experts were brought into Las Vegas to
help the county get corrected at the animal shelter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave Bugg wrote:
[...]

Most states (or many) might have a requirement to _Record_ any legal
name changes.

As to attesting, I doubt that everywhere complaints requires
attestation, which implies an oath or the penalty of perjury. I'll
bet some places, especially places that haven't had many baseless
complaints, complaints can be filed by phone.

Given the Dog Catcher is a law enforcement officer; I suspect a
penalty of perjury would apply. It is an official law enforcement
paper and will become public record.

My county requires multiple complaints from neighbors ( 3 ) and these
complaints need to be in close timing/dates.

That might be true here about dogs being walked without a leash,
although I think it only requires 3 complaints by one person, but
that's because there is no evidence left behind.

Once they get out to his property and see the what's on it, they'll
have all hte evidence they need without any neighbor's cooperation.

I'm sure! The county officials need to see this mess. I applaud the OP
for "walking slow and drinking plenty of water". It will be Winter
soon and he won't be bothered - so much!

Heck, they issue search warrants on the word of anonymous tips, I
think, or maybe the tipster has to be known to one cop etc., but I
don't think even the cop has to know the tipster's real name.

Laws vary.

Yes.

Confidential Informants are often assigned a code name/number. Only
those needing to know the exact identity is required. A Judge will or
should at least require a "record of reliability" recorded by LEO of
the informant, before issuing a warrant.

I could call in a tip on water waste, but seriously doubt any real
action from the authorities.

--
Oren

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Dave Bugg wrote:
[...]

Maybe all, but those are *legal* name changes. I'm not talking about
changing one's legal name, but adopting additional names. Gnerally,
you can use any name you want in the US as long as you don't do it to
commit fraud.

In addition, where does it say that you have to sign a complaint about
the neighbor's dog with your *legal* name.

I"m going to post another post with the reasons this is of special
interest to me, and what I have yet to look into.

As to attesting, I doubt that everywhere complaints requires
attestation, which implies an oath or the penalty of perjury. I'll
bet some places, especially places that haven't had many baseless
complaints, complaints can be filed by phone.

Given the Dog Catcher is a law enforcement officer; I suspect a
penalty of perjury would apply. It is an official law enforcement
paper and will become public record.

Not unless whatever is signed says on it that there is a penalty of
perjury, and even then, that might only apply to everything but one's
own name and signature. In this case, the narrative and any boxes
that are checked, and the complainer's address I think, but not the
name. Because using a "phony" name to complain about a real smell and
a real pile of feces is not fraud.

If one is all

There may well be a penalty for lying on a government form, but I
replied as I did because you used the word "attest", which is from the
same root as testify, meaning to say something under oath or
affirmation with the penalty of perjury.** But even then I think the
lying would have to be about the smell, or the period of time the
smell has existed, etc.

**(I don't believe anyone in the US is ever obliged to take an oath,
or to swear to tell the truth, but the law does provide for the same
civil and criminal penalies as if one had taken an oath and lied. The
US Constitution provides that the President-elect can be inaugurated
either by swearing or affirming.)

My county requires multiple complaints from neighbors ( 3 ) and these
complaints need to be in close timing/dates.

That might be true here about dogs being walked without a leash,
although I think it only requires 3 complaints by one person, but
that's because there is no evidence left behind.

Once they get out to his property and see the what's on it, they'll
have all hte evidence they need without any neighbor's cooperation.

I'm sure! The county officials need to see this mess. I applaud the OP
for "walking slow and drinking plenty of water". It will be Winter
soon and he won't be bothered - so much!

I too urged him to talk to the neighbor, although now that I hear it
is all over his yard, I'm a little less optimistic about getting
cooperation. Another post about that too, but I want to post this one
before it gets too long.

But more below.

Heck, they issue search warrants on the word of anonymous tips, I
think, or maybe the tipster has to be known to one cop etc., but I
don't think even the cop has to know the tipster's real name.

Laws vary.

Yes.

Confidential Informants are often assigned a code name/number. Only
those needing to know the exact identity is required. A Judge will or
should at least require a "record of reliability" recorded by LEO of
the informant, before issuing a warrant.

Of course they don't need a warrant in this case. Maybe they can't go
on to the dirty guy's property without more than an anonymous tip, but
they don't have to go on to his property. He has at least 3 neigbhors
and I get the feeling it is more than 3. If permission is needed,
they can get permission from any of the neighbors to go into their
backyard. They'll be able to see and smell from there.

I could call in a tip on water waste, but seriously doubt any real
action from the authorities.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave Bugg wrote:

Norminn wrote:

..... - code
allows anonymous complaints for a good reason.

Except that code doesn't allow complaints to remain anonymous past the
initial investigation. If an agency takes action -- a fine or citation --
the records become public for due process proceedings at hearings. The name
of all complainants will be made public.

Dan (the OP) is right on the money with his approach. There is plenty of
time to involve government if the neighbor persists in his behavior once Dan
talks with him.

An anonymous complaint means that the person making the complaint does
not give their name. So, how would it be made public? Same with our
local PD..they ask whether you want to give your name (and probably use
caller ID). Complaints about code violations where I live allow,
specifically, anonymous complaints. There is wording about whether the
complaint goes on record, but the inspection might make that happen.
Confusing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

:wrote:
:
:Now, I'm certain that it's an egregious code violation.
:
:This should help... (sorry but I had to).
:
:http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...dogscooper.jpg
:
GRIN)

LOL! Thanks, that was super.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 00:43:25 GMT, dkhedmo wrote:

:Here you go:
:http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pet/374165066.html
:Leave the Disgusting Job to Us!
:
:Karen
Ah, I just went to the listing and it had expired (and there's no
information). I may mention this possibility when I talk to him,
depending on how the conversation goes. I assume the listing was for a
pooper scooper service.

Dan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 11:16:16 GMT, Norminn wrote:

ave Bugg wrote:
:
: Norminn wrote:
:
[...]

Seems to me that I can, if a conversation with the neighbor doesn't lead
to a solution, call the city (presumably the housing department, or they
can redirect me) and ask where I stand on this, if I can make an
anonymous complaint and remain anonymous. I imagine that I can find out
the answers to that on the phone before initiating any action involving
the codes and city agencies.

Dan
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave Bugg wrote:
Frank wrote:
Reason I jumped to my conclusion is that this guy has a yard full of...

What conclusion? To what or whom are you replying? You need to include a bit
of the text to which you are replying.

You I guess, but who cares. Here's an extreme example in local paper:
http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/p...0348/1006/NEWS
Do you think this poor woman would have listened to neighbors complaints?
Frank

No. I am familiar with "dog collectors" and "dog rescuers." They
feel that they can care for dogs better than anyone else and will save
any dog they can. It is a (not so uncommon) mental disorder. Anyone
with more than 4 dogs in the house is actually a kennel, not a house,
as defined by our local ordinance.

"I am not a kennel." Richard Nixon.

"I am not a butt." -- Bart Simpson

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave Bugg wrote:
[...]

Our local code: (noise)

"If you choose to place a request for service for a noisy animal, you
should be aware that you are an important part of the solution. In
the event the officer observes a violation and a citation is issued,
your name will appear on the citation and you will be asked to testify
in court to the habitual nature of the noise. If after three
complaint visits a noise violation is not observed by the Officer, the
complainant must complete a formal criminal complaint packet for the
District Attorney's office to review for possible prosecution. In
most cases, the District Attorney's Office will send a written notice
of violation to the animal owner, advising that continued violation
may result in criminal prosecution."

I just don't think it is good advice to use a false name.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 19, 3:24 pm, Dan_Musicant wrote:
Lived here ~25 years, bought the house March 2000. Soon afterward met a
neighbor who shares a fence with me. We live on cross streets, and my
back fence is his left-side fence, partly. My entire back fence is the
back portion of his left fence.

He's had dogs ever since I've owned the house (i.e. at least 7 years).
If one of his dogs dies, he gets another. We introduced ourselves and in
an effort to seem quite neighborly he offered to lend me tools any time
I need them, should I need them. I've never taken him up on that... I
have a lot of tools and when I don't have some I need but not enough to
buy, I can generally get them at the very local tool lending library
(Berkeley, CA). Under the current circumstances, I would never dream of
asking to borrow a tool:

His dogs' barking has sometimes bothered me a lot but that's not the
subject of this post. The dogs crap a ton just over my back fence, which
is on the left side of the garage my neighbor built a few years ago. It
seems like he never cleans it up. AFAIK, he's NEVER cleaned any of it
up. If I'm near that back fence, I can smell the crap. In the summer
(i.e. now), the smell is so bad I can smell it most times any time I go
in the back yard. Glancing over the fence (wood fence) a couple of days
ago I saw (didn't count) must have been over 100 craps.

I've never mentioned this to anyone except a home-owning friend of mine,
who himself owns two dogs. His reaction is that it's terrible and
"unsanitary." Now, this friend of mine has a history of occasional
serious conflicts with his neighbors, serious enough that he sold his
house and moved into his other house (he buys fixer-uppers and now makes
a living renovating them). I always try to avoid confrontations with my
neighbors. I have enough to concern me without second guessing how I'm
getting along with them, worrying about what they think about me, etc.
I'm wondering if I should or can do a damn thing about the dog crap.
Yeah, I could politely talk to my neighbor, but I don't know what
footing I'm on here. Is this guy required to clean up after the dogs?

TIA for wisdom, etc.

Dan

I would ask him once to clean it up. If he did not do so then I would
put on my rubber boots and gas mask and go out there and do it
myself. Then I would make a point of letting dip**** know that I had
to do it. Give him a call or visit as you are going out to do it.
Put the dog**** on his curb on trash day and put a big sign on it that
says DOG ****. This dude may get it or not. Though the solution is
unpleasant, it beats the alternative.

The alternative is calling the authorities. As far as I am concerned,
you never call the authorities on your neighbor, very dangerous. That
guy knows where you live. What do you really know about him and what
he is capable of?? If the authorities approach him about his yard he
will know it was you that went behind his back when you could have
asked nicely or done it your self or both.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
Dave Bugg wrote:
Frank wrote:
Reason I jumped to my conclusion is that this guy has a yard full
of...

What conclusion? To what or whom are you replying? You need to
include a bit of the text to which you are replying.

You I guess, but who cares. Here's an extreme example in local paper:
http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/p...0348/1006/NEWS
Do you think this poor woman would have listened to neighbors
complaints?

Yup, that means that Dan's neighbor won't respond to his requests; case
closed. Sheesh.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave Bugg wrote:
Frank wrote:
Reason I jumped to my conclusion is that this guy has a yard full
of...

What conclusion? To what or whom are you replying? You need to
include a bit of the text to which you are replying.

You I guess, but who cares. Here's an extreme example in local
paper:
http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/p...0348/1006/NEWS
Do you think this poor woman would have listened to neighbors
complaints? Frank

No. I am familiar with "dog collectors" and "dog rescuers." They
feel that they can care for dogs better than anyone else and will
save any dog they can. It is a (not so uncommon) mental disorder.
Anyone with more than 4 dogs in the house is actually a kennel, not
a house, as defined by our local ordinance.

"I am not a kennel." Richard Nixon.

No you're not, Mr. President. But you ended up in the dog house anyway. :-)

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

Seems to me that I can, if a conversation with the neighbor doesn't lead
to a solution, call the city (presumably the housing department, or they
can redirect me) and ask where I stand on this, if I can make an
anonymous complaint and remain anonymous. I imagine that I can find out
the answers to that on the phone before initiating any action involving
the codes and city agencies.

Dan

Our city has it all on their website.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:
Dave Bugg wrote:

Norminn wrote:

..... - code
allows anonymous complaints for a good reason.

Except that code doesn't allow complaints to remain anonymous past
the initial investigation. If an agency takes action -- a fine or
citation -- the records become public for due process proceedings at
hearings. The name of all complainants will be made public.

Dan (the OP) is right on the money with his approach. There is
plenty of time to involve government if the neighbor persists in his
behavior once Dan talks with him.

An anonymous complaint means that the person making the complaint does
not give their name. So, how would it be made public?

We never ever started an investigation based on an anonymous complaint. We
would take the complaint, but never act on it until we could convince the
person to go on record. The health department, as a civil code enforcer, is
subject to liabilities if it can be demonstrated by an individual under
investigation that we were randomly looking for someone to cite. A complaint
that is 'anonymous' does not provide a judge the evidence needed to protect
the agency from this kind of liability. The only way to be insulated from
that type of accusation is to have the ability to produce the complainant.

Same with our
local PD..they ask whether you want to give your name (and probably
use caller ID).

Police deal with criminal violations, not civil.

Complaints about code violations where I live allow,
specifically, anonymous complaints.

The complaint may be taken, but I highly doubt that an anonymous complaint
would translate into an active investigation. Civil infractions work on a
whole different standard than criminal infractions. A health district lacks
the ability to do things like tresspass onto private property to look in a
backyard for dog crap. If we needed to investigate a valid complaint --
again which requires an identity -- we would have to have to send the
complaint through the prosecutor's office to arrange for the police to
accompany us. The police had the authority for entering property, we didn't.

There is wording about whether
the complaint goes on record, but the inspection might make that
happen. ....

And that will get an agency sued by a home owner hiring even the dumbest
contingency lawyer out there. Agency trespass, harassment, fabrications to
initiate an 'investigation'. I've been there, done that, and bought the
souvenier postcard to send home to mama.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 17:31:22 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
. ..

My county requires multiple complaints from neighbors ( 3 ) and these
complaints need to be in close timing/dates.

Even on public health or animal cruelty problems? That would make a lot of
sense.

Bob

Driving home one day; it is 110F in the desert. a dog barking for
'days' (hours each day). The owner is/was a casino worker and left the
dog outside.

On the turn to my area I spot a County Animal Control Officer on the
side of the street. She was apparently on her cell phone. I parked and
walked to the truck. Pleading with the official to "drive by" and
observe. Not a chance... Take the report and have others also
complain. Right!

Or, report the officer for dereliction of duty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 16:19:22 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message

My county requires multiple complaints from neighbors ( 3 ) and these
complaints need to be in close timing/dates.

Even on public health or animal cruelty problems? That would make a lot of
sense.

Bob

Driving home one day; it is 110F in the desert. a dog barking for
'days' (hours each day). The owner is/was a casino worker and left the
dog outside.

On the turn to my area I spot a County Animal Control Officer on the
side of the street. She was apparently on her cell phone. I parked and
walked to the truck. Pleading with the official to "drive by" and
observe. Not a chance... Take the report and have others also
complain. Right!

Or, report the officer for dereliction of duty.

I hate paperwork ;-/

--
Oren

"I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

I"m going to post another post with the reasons this is of special
interest to me, and what I have yet to look into.

1) I go sometimes to a neighborhood where no one has ever even been
rude to me, but it is still a n'hood that is somewhat poor and where
most would say I have a higher than average chance of being mugged.

Being a man, I have fantasies that I will either see an armed robbery
and knock the guy over with my car, or on really fantastic nights,
that I will overpower the mugger. Bear in mind that I'm 60, have
never been in a fight, and I'm overweight and not even in good shape
these days. But I can dream, can't I?

But after I hurt the muggers, then comes the problem. The police show
up, and I don't want to tell them my name or address because I'm
afraid of retaliation, either for its own sake or because I'm going to
be a witness at their trial. I want to give them an address where
they can reach me, but I can't give them a friend's because that will
endanger the friend. I think about lying outright and then correcting
it in a day or two, after the newspaper articles have all been printed
-- I fantasize that this is a big enough event that it makes the news
-- muggee defends himself -- but only for one day -- and I can't help
thinking that even if they don't get mad at me for lying, it will ruin
my credibility before the jury.

I have a unique name in this city, and I have my name but not my
address in the phone, mostly so friends won't drop by without calling,
and for decades, including after the web existed and 411.com etc. I
couldn't be found, but a few years ago, an obnoxious webpage using
utility records or driver's license records or something that they
must have bribed an employee to get, or worse yet the utility or DMV
sold me out, now one who tries well enough can find my address.

So I"ve been meaning to learn more about this but haven't yet. I've
been going to this n'hood occasionally for 20 plus years and at least
twice a week for two years, and like I say, no one has ever said a
rude word to me or given me a hostile glance. And some people are
quite friendly.

2) Most of what I have in this post that is phrased as affirmative
statments, as opposed to questions, is from what I've learned in the
past, but I have a personal interest in this too. I have a neigbhbor
with a slightly smaller than average pit bull and the entire family
routinely walks it with no leash. Once in a while they leave it
outside alone with no leash.

I've complained to her once or twice, and I've also called animal
control, and was disapointed to find out that she was right, that in
this county, she can leave the dog unleashed as long as it is on her
property, even though she has no fence, and even though her front yard
is about 25 by 25 feet. I've seen the dog leave the property also,
and seen another dog on a leash bark at it, and once when I was
walking my visiting 11-year-old dog, I was only 40 feet away when I
saw it was outside without a leash and I yelled at the person to take
it inside, but she was typicall unconcerned and only did so slowly.

It turns out if one complains, they come out and look at the dog and
then walk over to the complainer and talk to him or put something in
the mailbox. I don't want the neighbor to know I'm the complainer,
and the woman on the phone said if I ask them not to come to my house,
they'll write me instead. I'm sure I can count on that, NOT.

There are at least half a dozen neighbors who don't like this dog and
who want to have the n'hood fine them (which we may not have the
authority to do no matter how bad they are, but they've gotten away
with stuff like this in the past, on n'bors who don't know much.)

But unless one of us starts carrying a camera, I don't think the
county will be much help. Even if they fine them once, that won't
discourage these people. And one son can be nice, lending me his lawn
mower when I couldn't get mine to start. Although he also walks the
dog a lot. He's one half step better than the rest, in that he
carries the leash even though he never puts it on. Maybe when the dog
has its jaws clamped on a little girls arm, he'll put the leash on. I
think next time I'll ask him why he never puts it on. They say it
plays with kids and isn't hostile, but that's usually the case before
something bad happens.

What's interesting is that these n'bors live in what I call the
haunted house here. Every person or family in this house since it was
built has had something wrong with them. One couple were just selfish
and got divorced, and in another case, the man left her with no money
even to buy food and the doorknob so looose on the door you could see
in to the house through a half-inch opening.

And this family who for years never said hello to me even when I said
hello to them. Who I once had a bunch of Bazooka bubble gum and would
give a piece to their 6 year old girl and her friends if they were
there, for 150 pieces, and when I eventually ran out of gum and told
them I had no more, the little girl never said a word to me again.

And finally I was told there was a murder in this house before I got
here. That's probably why all the owners who have followed have been
sorry cases. grin.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message

Our local code: (noise)

"If you choose to place a request for service for a noisy animal, you
should be aware that you are an important part of the solution. In
the event the officer observes a violation and a citation is issued,
your name will appear on the citation and you will be asked to testify
in court to the habitual nature of the noise. If after three
complaint visits a noise violation is not observed by the Officer, the
complainant must complete a formal criminal complaint packet for the
District Attorney's office to review for possible prosecution. In
most cases, the District Attorney's Office will send a written notice
of violation to the animal owner, advising that continued violation
may result in criminal prosecution."

I filed many "disclosures" to Seattle animal control over a period of years
about a neighbor's barking dogs. She had to go to court a few times for
resulting tickets. She apparently always managed to talk them out of the
tickets, apparently by claiming that I was out to get her for unknown reasons.
(I really just wanted to sleep) I was never given an opportunity to show up and
testify, despite my requests. Apparently the local law makes that entirely up to
the "defendent". The problem was finally resolved when she found a new boyfriend
and moved in with him. Even the deaths of several neighbors cats was
insufficient to motivate animal control to solve the problem.

Bob