Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Dog problem

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 18:22:23 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

I filed many "disclosures" to Seattle animal control over a period of years
about a neighbor's barking dogs. She had to go to court a few times for
resulting tickets. She apparently always managed to talk them out of the
tickets, apparently by claiming that I was out to get her for unknown reasons.
(I really just wanted to sleep) I was never given an opportunity to show up and
testify, despite my requests.

Wow. That's the other extreme.

Apparently the local law makes that entirely up to
the "defendent".

That's absurd. Don't they all say No?

The problem was finally resolved when she found a new boyfriend
and moved in with him. Even the deaths of several neighbors cats was
insufficient to motivate animal control to solve the problem.

This sounds like a problem for Dr. Frazier Crane.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 11:16:16 GMT, Norminn
wrote:

An anonymous complaint means that the person making the complaint does
not give their name. So, how would it be made public? Same with our
local PD..they ask whether you want to give your name (and probably use
caller ID).

If you are calling an 800 number, or 877 etc. you cannot defeat
caller-id. Not just the police but anyone I think. Except I don't
know about residential 800 numbers that ring in one's regular phone
line. The kind of thing parents have for their kids to call home on.

The phone book description of Defeat Caller-id doesn't get into this I
think.

Complaints about code violations where I live allow,
specifically, anonymous complaints. There is wording about whether the
complaint goes on record, but the inspection might make that happen.
Confusing.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

Same with our
local PD..they ask whether you want to give your name (and probably use
caller ID).

To continue; For most purposes, I wouldn't worry that the police will
know my number via caller id. It doesn't prove it was I who called.
Although the tape recording might.

For something where I really had to have anonymity, like informing on
the mob or even the n'hood killer (if we had one), I would call from a
payphone.

I wouldn't assume the rules are the same where Bugg lives as where and
Norminn lives.

So far we still live in country where state laws vary, despite
attempts by both Dems and Reps, especially this administration, to
interfere with state's rights. Of course the Dems started by trying
to end racial discrimination in travel, voting, housing, employment,
and the Reps don't want states to have stronger environmental laws,
etc. than the feds do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan_Musicant wrote:
On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 00:43:25 GMT, dkhedmo wrote:

:Here you go:
:http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pet/374165066.html
:Leave the Disgusting Job to Us!
:
:Karen
Ah, I just went to the listing and it had expired (and there's no
information). I may mention this possibility when I talk to him,
depending on how the conversation goes. I assume the listing was for a
pooper scooper service.

Dan

It was called Pet Butler, I think.

Karen
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I filed many "disclosures" to Seattle animal control over a period of years
about a neighbor's barking dogs. She had to go to court a few times for
resulting tickets. She apparently always managed to talk them out of the
tickets, apparently by claiming that I was out to get her for unknown reasons.
(I really just wanted to sleep) I was never given an opportunity to show up
and
testify, despite my requests.

Wow. That's the other extreme.

Apparently the local law makes that entirely up to
the "defendent".

That's absurd. Don't they all say No?

I suppose that depends on whether they want to solve the problem. If I had gone
to court and been told that I was out-of-line, I would have quit complaining, so
if she really thought she was in the right, it could have helped.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 19:08:06 -0000, Lawrence
wrote:

:I would ask him once to clean it up. If he did not do so then I would
ut on my rubber boots and gas mask and go out there and do it
:myself. Then I would make a point of letting dip**** know that I had
:to do it. Give him a call or visit as you are going out to do it.
:Put the dog**** on his curb on trash day and put a big sign on it that
:says DOG ****. This dude may get it or not. Though the solution is
:unpleasant, it beats the alternative.
:
:The alternative is calling the authorities. As far as I am concerned,
:you never call the authorities on your neighbor, very dangerous. That
:guy knows where you live. What do you really know about him and what
:he is capable of?? If the authorities approach him about his yard he
:will know it was you that went behind his back when you could have
:asked nicely or done it your self or both.

I see the smarts in this but am fearful of jumping the fence and doing
the job myself. If we shared the yard, that would be another matter. I
don't know what this guy is capable of but he hasn't come off to me as
heavy so far. I know just about nothing about him, however. In any case,
I don't think that most people think it's acceptable to just go onto
another person's property and do ANYTHING. Well, certainly there are
exceptions to that and we can all think of some, I'm sure, but cleaning
up his dog's poop wouldn't, I think, be included.

Yesterday I decided that I really do have to take action. I've been
doing a lot of work in my yard, and even 40 feet or so from my back
fence, the smell was very annoying at times. I am sure that it had to do
with the fact that the air was pretty still at the time. Even so, it was
so bad that I realized that the situation is intolerable. I looked over
the fence a few times, but as usual he wasn't around. I haven't been
seeing his dogs back there, either. I think they are grossed out by
their ****-area and avoid it when they aren't ****ting.

If I don't encounter him, I may take the direct approach and knock on
his door. Of course, I could always send him a letter, but I'd rather
talk to him directly, although I haven't imagined yet just what I'm
going to say and how I'll say it. Sometimes I guess it's OK to just
speak your mind and see what comes out of your mouth! I was prepared to
do that yesterday, but didn't see him in his yard over his fence.

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Dan_Musicant says...

wrote:

[...]

Or perhaps you see the folly of the advice that you tresspass, because the owner
of the property may do something evil if you turn to authorities. Pretty
contradictory if you ask me...

[...]

Folks will run around crying like chickens that you'll be boiled alive if you
talk to anyone or call the proper authorities, but really, the sensible way to
go is:

0. Try to get a feel for how reasonable the person is, if you perhaps should
skip to step #2. Ask other neighbors if they have any dealings with him.

1. TALK to the neighbor. Believe it or not, he may not really realize how it's
affecting others. I've seen people respond positively to stuff that I wouldn't
expect. People I wouldn't expect to. But good stuff often happens when you talk
with your neighbors. Have him over for a beer. Besides, if you do need to go to
authorities (step #2), the first thing you'll be asked will be: "Well, have you
tried talking to your neighbor?"

Pretty good likelihood you won't need to go further.. but if you do have to:

2. Go to the town/city and ask what ordinances are applicable and where this
lies. It most likely falls under the "dog" statutes having to do with keeping
dogs such that they do not have large impacts on neighbors. Could even be
health, probably a nuisance problem. May even be an issue for the local SPCA.
Then call the applicable authority. They may be sympathetic to taking a look at
it themselves so as to not make it an actual complaint from you.

3. Stand by your actions if you need to go to authorities. IF he confronts you
or even another neighbor brings it up, say - There was a problem; it had to be
dealt with. Rinse lather repeat as necessary.

It's unlikely the situation will escalate. But you have a problem now that's
really making it hard for you to enjoy your property, right? Therefore, less to
lose by trying.

Cheers,
Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

:wrote:
:
::I would ask him once to clean it up. If he did not do so then I would
:ut on my rubber boots and gas mask and go out there and do it
::myself. Then I would make a point of letting dip**** know that I had
::to do it. Give him a call or visit as you are going out to do it.
::Put the dog**** on his curb on trash day and put a big sign on it that
::says DOG ****. This dude may get it or not. Though the solution is
::unpleasant, it beats the alternative.
::
::The alternative is calling the authorities. As far as I am concerned,
::you never call the authorities on your neighbor, very dangerous. That
::guy knows where you live. What do you really know about him and what
::he is capable of?? If the authorities approach him about his yard he
::will know it was you that went behind his back when you could have
::asked nicely or done it your self or both.
:
:I see the smarts in this but am fearful of jumping the fence and doing
:the job myself.
:
:Or perhaps you see the folly of the advice that you tresspass, because the owner
f the property may do something evil if you turn to authorities. Pretty
:contradictory if you ask me...

Yes, "folly" is a strong word, and I was trying to be diplomatic and not
aggravate a poster and so I paid a compliment instead.
:
[...]

The guy's not a complete mystery to me, but I know only what I've seen
and heard over the fence. A year ago I had to have all my neighbors sign
a petition so I could get a city use permit approved, and he was one
front door I knocked on. Interestingly, around 3-4 years ago (?) he had
a party in his back yard, AFAIK no others have occurred. The attendies
seemed like nice folks and all kinds. Friends, relatives, colleagues, I
don't know, maybe the lot. Certainly, he wouldn't dream of having
another such party without cleaning up his yard. Indeed, I wouldn't
dream of having a garden party without him cleaning up his yard! I'm
sure some of the rest of the neighborhood is affected including the
folks just east of me, but being youngish renters they are too timid to
complain.

The guy has a flag in front of his house, not an American flag but one
with a peace symbol on it and a color combination I'm not familiar with.
He doesn't seem like a peacenik, but who knows? Anyway, that would seem
to be a good sign that he's into communication and getting along.
Obviously, he has a problem, though.
:
:1. TALK to the neighbor. Believe it or not, he may not really realize how it's
:affecting others. I've seen people respond positively to stuff that I wouldn't
:expect. People I wouldn't expect to. But good stuff often happens when you talk
:with your neighbors. Have him over for a beer. Besides, if you do need to go to
:authorities (step #2), the first thing you'll be asked will be: "Well, have you
:tried talking to your neighbor?"
:
:Pretty good likelihood you won't need to go further..

I agree. It just hasn't happened yet. Thanks.

:but if you do have to:
:
[...]

I will try. I'm not losing sleep on this, it's just I'm wanting to run
into him rather than knock, but I may just say screw it, I'm knocking on
his door.

Dan