Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best way to find a good contractor?

I have some jobs to do around my house.

Gutters

Siding

Windows/Doors

What is the best way to find good help?

I live in Central TX and I've tried calling companies and having them come
out for bids but then they just dissappear.

I looked at Angie's list but at $70/year is it worth it?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ythread" wrote on 15 Jul 2007 in group
alt.home.repair:

I have some jobs to do around my house.

Gutters
Siding
Windows/Doors

What is the best way to find good help?

I live in Central TX and I've tried calling companies and having them
come out for bids but then they just dissappear.

I looked at Angie's list but at $70/year is it worth it?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Your best bet is to ask your friends who they use. You can also check with
your church -- they sometimes keep lists for referrals.

--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve" wrote in message

Your best bet is to ask your friends who they use. You can also check with
your church -- they sometimes keep lists for referrals.

In addition. go to your local lumber yard or hardware store. They often
have business cards on display of the businesses they supply. Not quite a
reference, but a starting point so you can ask about them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ythread" wrote in message
I have some jobs to do around my house.

Gutters

Siding

Windows/Doors

What is the best way to find good help?

I live in Central TX and I've tried calling companies and having them come
out for bids but then they just dissappear.

Obviously you have to get recommendations from people who have used them.
If you are new to town, etc. that might be difficult.
But I have found that a large percentage of contractors aren't any good.
Not that they are thieves, more like their notion of what is right doesn't
correspond to the human version. I have had to sue two contractors that
came highly recommended, and threaten three more. I expect most people
would just have taken the losses, but I also sued two auto shops. Won them
all. (sadly, I thought two of them were pretty good until their shoddy work
surfaced years later and they claimed their written warranties didn't
actually mean anything)
Crazy thing is, I have actually told several of them that I have a long
record of suing for improper work, and they assured me it wouldn't happen
with them. One even brought my warning up in court to show what a nut I
was. The judge asked him why he didn't take the warning seriously.

If you just call people off bulletin board or the phone book you will
probably have even worse luck.
Sorry I can't be more helpful, but it is just not a good situation.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Max Max is offline

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 15:25:24 GMT, "Toller" graced
this newsgroup with:

If you just call people off bulletin board or the phone book you will
probably have even worse luck.
Sorry I can't be more helpful, but it is just not a good situation.

I had good luck using checkbook magazine as a point of reference.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Toller" wrote in message

"ythread" wrote in message
[...]

Sadly you are probably right on. Congratulations on your lawsuits but I'm
sure you'd rather avoid the hassle.

I'd rather not pay Angie's list but it just maybe worth it. I was hoping
there was a free reliable website but I guess you get what you pay for.

BTW: I get irritated enough to take people to court also. But I've always
found the threat of a lawsuit is usually good enough. I usually compose a
letter that looks very official and send it certified. If necessary, have
your attorney write one for you. I specify my complaint and how I want it
remedied. Contractors, however, might only find them amusing.

As a side note: It is never a good idea to be considered overly litigious.
If you ever have a serious lawsuit, that could be called into question, it's
not *helpful*. That's why I'd stop at the threatening letter unless a very
large sum of money is involved. IMHO.

But thanks for your advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Max" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 15:25:24 GMT, "Toller" graced
this newsgroup with:

If you just call people off bulletin board or the phone book you will
probably have even worse luck.
Sorry I can't be more helpful, but it is just not a good situation.

I had good luck using checkbook magazine as a point of reference.

I'd subcribe but it doesn't look like it covers Central TX.

Excellent idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message
Your best bet is to ask your friends who they use. You can also check with
your church -- they sometimes keep lists for referrals.

In addition. go to your local lumber yard or hardware store. They often
have business cards on display of the businesses they supply. Not quite a
reference, but a starting point so you can ask about them.

I agree...the "real" building suppliers -- full-service lumber yards,
plumbing/electrical/hvac distributors, etc., are a good resource for
finding them. The box stores, etc., not so much...

Most counter guys (other than the HS football players on their summer
weight program) will know those they deal with regularly well enough to
tell you who you might want to steer away from.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

ythread wrote:
Sadly you are probably right on. Congratulations on your lawsuits but I'm
sure you'd rather avoid the hassle.

I'm not sure...I think some people simply enjoy drama and/or don't have
very good negotiating skills in resolving issues w/o confrontation.
Don't know for sure here, but a general observation...

I'd rather not pay Angie's list but it just maybe worth it. I was hoping
there was a free reliable website but I guess you get what you pay for.

I wouldn't bet on it on these kinds of things (getting what you pay for,
that is) -- you might want to google a thread here within the last month
or so specifically on Angie's list. Biggest problem I see is that
unless you're in an extremely large market, the chances are pretty
remote there are any more than one or two at most of what you need
listed and then there's no guarantee they do work in the particular part
of that metro area you're in. And, as I understand it, once you pay
your money, it's gone whether you get anything useful or not...

A noted in another response to Edwin, I'm in agreement on the personal
and tradesman references. Unfortunately, in any location that isn't in
a flatlined economic situation, good tradespeople are in short supply
and can afford to be selective. It takes perseverance to track one down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
ythread wrote:
Sadly you are probably right on. Congratulations on your lawsuits but I'm
sure you'd rather avoid the hassle.

I'm not sure...I think some people simply enjoy drama and/or don't have
very good negotiating skills in resolving issues w/o confrontation. Don't
know for sure here, but a general observation...

In Toller's defense, (HA-HA, like he needs one) his claims were all upheld
in court. However, having been involved in a serious lawsuit (multi-million
$$), I know I would not want to reveal I've been involved in four civil
suits at a deposition.

I'd rather not pay Angie's list but it just maybe worth it. I was hoping
there was a free reliable website but I guess you get what you pay for.

I wouldn't bet on it on these kinds of things (getting what you pay for,
that is) -- you might want to google a thread here within the last month
or so specifically on Angie's list. Biggest problem I see is that unless
you're in an extremely large market, the chances are pretty remote there
are any more than one or two at most of what you need listed and then
there's no guarantee they do work in the particular part of that metro
area you're in. And, as I understand it, once you pay your money, it's
gone whether you get anything useful or not...

I am in a large market, Central TX, but I know what you mean. I'd like to be
able to pay for the service as needed.

A noted in another response to Edwin, I'm in agreement on the personal and
tradesman references. Unfortunately, in any location that isn't in a
flatlined economic situation, good tradespeople are in short supply and
can afford to be selective. It takes perseverance to track one down.

My initial impression with the contractors here has made me extremely
cautious. I had several over for a lighting job and most of them didn't even
follow up with a bid. One was clearly not qualified at all. One that did bid
said he'd do it in two week and he called me two months later. I don't like
to do business with people that don't follow up on their promises.

Is it a good idea to have the work done through Homedepot or Lowes? I had a
door installed through Homedepot and it went fairly smoothly.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

ythread wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...

My initial impression with the contractors here has made me extremely
cautious. I had several over for a lighting job and most of them didn't even
follow up with a bid. One was clearly not qualified at all. One that did bid
said he'd do it in two week and he called me two months later. I don't like
to do business with people that don't follow up on their promises.

Is it a good idea to have the work done through Homedepot or Lowes? I had a
door installed through Homedepot and it went fairly smoothly.

As I noted earlier, don't think that experience is anything out of the
ordinary in any location unless you already have local contacts. I know
of no better way than to scout out recommendations from
coworkers/neighbors/church/organizations on folks they have used that
satisfied. Surely you know _somebody_?

As for HD, etc., imo it's a crapshoot -- negatives outweigh positives
from a contractual standpoint as they take full payment up front and you
deal w/ them instead of the contractor so dispute resolution is
troublesome at best if needed. Then there's the thing of who is
actually doing the work -- there you have no control, either.

This is a small enough location we don't have them and while folks are
busy, it is possible to know who is in the area that does what and can
eventually get to them. Whether I would even consider it would depend
on what was needing done, but I certainly would be at the end of my
rope, so to speak, before they would make the radar screen, even.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
ythread wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...

[...]

Thanks for your advice and I have been asking around but I don't hang out
much with people who use contractors, I'm retired, and haven't been to
church since I was 10. LOL

I was thinking of going to a lumber store and asking them.

Thanks again. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

jthread wrote:

Thanks for your advice and I have been asking around but I don't hang out
much with people who use contractors, I'm retired, and haven't been to
church since I was 10. LOL

Well, maybe it's time...

Senior center, Lions/Kiwanis/whatever...

Surely you associate w/ _some_ groups of folks???

I was thinking of going to a lumber store and asking them.

That was Edwin's suggestion and my followup some time previously.
Full-line lumberyards good, HD, etc., not so much imo.

What are you wanting done? If it's wiring/electrical as opposed to
construction, may have better luck at the electrical supply distributors
although a large lumberyard probably can steer you where else you might
ask if not directly to an electrician, say...

good luck, be persistent...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
jthread wrote:

Thanks for your advice and I have been asking around but I don't hang out
much with people who use contractors, I'm retired, and haven't been to
church since I was 10. LOL

Well, maybe it's time...

Well that is certainly a matter of opinion. I could look up the Branch
Davidians and see if they still have a group going in my area. Not much into
young boys so Catholic's are out. Let's see shall I continue? ;-)

Senior center, Lions/Kiwanis/whatever...

I'm a young retiree. I don't socialize much with the older folks. I just
barely became eligible for AARP.

Surely you associate w/ _some_ groups of folks???

I talk to a lot of realtors but they usually don't know much about houses
surprisingly enough. Musicians are clueless when it comes to power tools.
I'm the exception.

I was thinking of going to a lumber store and asking them.

That was Edwin's suggestion and my followup some time previously.
Full-line lumberyards good, HD, etc., not so much imo.

What are you wanting done? If it's wiring/electrical as opposed to
construction, may have better luck at the electrical supply distributors
although a large lumberyard probably can steer you where else you might
ask if not directly to an electrician, say...

The lighting job I did myself while waiting for the electrician to call
back.

Now I want to install some gutters, siding, and a French door in my master
b/r where there is a window now (HD won't do that anyway, no tearouts).
There is a large construction supply warehouse and lumberyard near by. I'm
going to see if they can be of help there.

good luck, be persistent...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...

What are you wanting done?

Pay attention!!! :-)

I have some jobs to do around my house.

Gutters

Siding

Windows/Doors

What is the best way to find good help?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jthread" wrote in message

I talk to a lot of realtors but they usually don't know much about houses
surprisingly enough.

All these people are concerned with is "HOW CHEAP can you do it for, as I
selling the house?!"

It's best if you stay away from the guys who they use!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in message

"dpb" wrote in message ...

What are you wanting done?

Pay attention!!! :-)

I have some jobs to do around my house.

Gutters

Siding

Windows/Doors

What is the best way to find good help?

He may have been confused by the change in user name.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ythread" wrote in message
What is the best way to find good help?

One suggestion I've heard (but never done myself) is to go the permit office
and ask them for 3-5 names. Supposedly, they know who does good work and
who doesn't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ythread wrote:
I have some jobs to do around my house.

Gutters

Siding

Windows/Doors

What is the best way to find good help?

I live in Central TX and I've tried calling companies and having them come
out for bids but then they just dissappear.

I looked at Angie's list but at $70/year is it worth it?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Hi,
Via word of mouth.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ythread" wrote in message
What is the best way to find good help?

Another thing you might try is driving around looking for houses being
worked on, especially in the jobs you want done. The big advantage of this
method is that you can actually see if the quality of their work is what you
want it to be. If they're not doing the jobs you want, then they can
probably recommend someone. Supposedly, good contractors recommend other
good contractors, so again look at the quality of their work in progress.
Good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ythread wrote:
I have some jobs to do around my house.

Gutters

Siding

Windows/Doors

What is the best way to find good help?

I live in Central TX and I've tried calling companies and having them come
out for bids but then they just dissappear.

I looked at Angie's list but at $70/year is it worth it?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

What do you mean, "they just disappear"? Did you try to hire one?
Perhaps they are very busy, or if you were vague about the work you want
done they may have thought you were just price shopping.

First of all, I try to learn about the project and products so's I can
ask intelligent questions...if you don't research, you are likely to be
stiffed either in terms of product or workmanship. BE THERE every minute
anyone is working on your home.

I like to get names from people I know who have had similar work done.
If I can't do that, I find someone I know has been in biz for a serious
length of time. You can probably get names, probably not
recommendations, from suppliers who sell the siding or windows. Some
mfg. co. have certification programs for contractors. Contact county or
city licensing agency to see if they have license and any actions taken
against their license.

You must have neighbors who have had same work done .. talk to them re
products and contractors. When you know exactly what you want, then get
bids specific about product brand/type, sizes, start/end, insurance,
lien release. If you hire two contractors, they need to coordinate
schedules and that should be in writing.

We had a bad roofing job done at our condo, before we moved in, and the
contractor was working with us until one of the less pleasant board
members got nasty with him. They should have sued him right away, but
were too lazy..talked legal action after he had been back several times
for major rework and ended up ****ing him off. Sometimes being sued is
more pleasant than working with a-------.
Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

My initial impression with the contractors here has made me extremely
cautious. I had several over for a lighting job and most of them didn't even
follow up with a bid. One was clearly not qualified at all. One that did bid
said he'd do it in two week and he called me two months later. I don't like
to do business with people that don't follow up on their promises.

Is it a good idea to have the work done through Homedepot or Lowes? I had a
door installed through Homedepot and it went fairly smoothly.

Jim

We had tile done by a local company. The owner does tiling himself, but
actual work was by two of his employees. The owner made up the bids.
The work was done by two young guys who also moonlight for HD. We could
not have had a better experience and they took care of some issues that
we would have made a mess of if we had tried to do it ourselves. They
had another contractor who undercut the baseboards/trim .. one issue we
were sure of before we started talking with contractors because we
wanted the tile to look like original. HD or Lowes probably work with
same contractors who are available privately.

A busy contractor might have delays because they have another job that
is more critical, like closing up a damaged home, so if they have a
waiting list it might be a good sign.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Norminn" wrote in message
news
ythread wrote:
I have some jobs to do around my house.

Gutters

Siding

Windows/Doors

What is the best way to find good help?

I live in Central TX and I've tried calling companies and having them
come out for bids but then they just dissappear.

I looked at Angie's list but at $70/year is it worth it?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

What do you mean, "they just disappear"? Did you try to hire one? Perhaps
they are very busy, or if you were vague about the work you want done they
may have thought you were just price shopping.

Thay said they would get back to me with a bid and never did.

First of all, I try to learn about the project and products so's I can ask
intelligent questions...if you don't research, you are likely to be
stiffed either in terms of product or workmanship. BE THERE every minute
anyone is working on your home.

Sound advice :-)

I like to get names from people I know who have had similar work done. If
I can't do that, I find someone I know has been in biz for a serious
length of time. You can probably get names, probably not recommendations,
from suppliers who sell the siding or windows. Some mfg. co. have
certification programs for contractors. Contact county or city licensing
agency to see if they have license and any actions taken against their
license.

You must have neighbors who have had same work done .. talk to them re
products and contractors. When you know exactly what you want, then get
bids specific about product brand/type, sizes, start/end, insurance, lien
release. If you hire two contractors, they need to coordinate schedules
and that should be in writing.

Everyone in this neighborhood has, or had, problems with the bottom of their
siding. It wasn't installed correctly and for some reason a lot of houses
don't have proper gutters on their roofs and that compounds the siding
issues.

You're right about everything in writing. You've obviously been down this
road before. ;-)

We had a bad roofing job done at our condo, before we moved in, and the
contractor was working with us until one of the less pleasant board
members got nasty with him. They should have sued him right away, but
were too lazy..talked legal action after he had been back several times
for major rework and ended up ****ing him off. Sometimes being sued is
more pleasant than working with a-------.

Lost you on the last part. Too bad about your roof. At least you gave him a
chance to fix the problem. Going to court would be my absolute last option.
More hassle than it's worth in most cases.

Thanks, good to hear from someone who has been there!