Posted to alt.home.repair
ythread ythread is offline

Default Best way to find a good contractor?

"Toller" wrote in message

"ythread" wrote in message
I have some jobs to do around my house.

Gutters

Siding

Windows/Doors

What is the best way to find good help?

I live in Central TX and I've tried calling companies and having them
come out for bids but then they just dissappear.

Obviously you have to get recommendations from people who have used them.
If you are new to town, etc. that might be difficult.
But I have found that a large percentage of contractors aren't any good.
Not that they are thieves, more like their notion of what is right doesn't
correspond to the human version. I have had to sue two contractors that
came highly recommended, and threaten three more. I expect most people
would just have taken the losses, but I also sued two auto shops. Won
them all. (sadly, I thought two of them were pretty good until their
shoddy work surfaced years later and they claimed their written warranties
didn't actually mean anything)
Crazy thing is, I have actually told several of them that I have a long
record of suing for improper work, and they assured me it wouldn't happen
with them. One even brought my warning up in court to show what a nut I
was. The judge asked him why he didn't take the warning seriously.

If you just call people off bulletin board or the phone book you will
probably have even worse luck.
Sorry I can't be more helpful, but it is just not a good situation.

Sadly you are probably right on. Congratulations on your lawsuits but I'm
sure you'd rather avoid the hassle.

I'd rather not pay Angie's list but it just maybe worth it. I was hoping
there was a free reliable website but I guess you get what you pay for.

BTW: I get irritated enough to take people to court also. But I've always
found the threat of a lawsuit is usually good enough. I usually compose a
letter that looks very official and send it certified. If necessary, have
your attorney write one for you. I specify my complaint and how I want it
remedied. Contractors, however, might only find them amusing.

As a side note: It is never a good idea to be considered overly litigious.
If you ever have a serious lawsuit, that could be called into question, it's
not *helpful*. That's why I'd stop at the threatening letter unless a very
large sum of money is involved. IMHO.

But thanks for your advice.