Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller Toller is offline

Default Best way to find a good contractor?

"ythread" wrote in message
I have some jobs to do around my house.

Gutters

Siding

Windows/Doors

What is the best way to find good help?

I live in Central TX and I've tried calling companies and having them come
out for bids but then they just dissappear.

Obviously you have to get recommendations from people who have used them.
If you are new to town, etc. that might be difficult.
But I have found that a large percentage of contractors aren't any good.
Not that they are thieves, more like their notion of what is right doesn't
correspond to the human version. I have had to sue two contractors that
came highly recommended, and threaten three more. I expect most people
would just have taken the losses, but I also sued two auto shops. Won them
all. (sadly, I thought two of them were pretty good until their shoddy work
surfaced years later and they claimed their written warranties didn't
actually mean anything)
Crazy thing is, I have actually told several of them that I have a long
record of suing for improper work, and they assured me it wouldn't happen
with them. One even brought my warning up in court to show what a nut I
was. The judge asked him why he didn't take the warning seriously.

If you just call people off bulletin board or the phone book you will
probably have even worse luck.
Sorry I can't be more helpful, but it is just not a good situation.