Posted to alt.home.repair
jthread jthread is offline

Default Best way to find a good contractor?

"Norminn" wrote in message
news
ythread wrote:
I have some jobs to do around my house.

Gutters

Siding

Windows/Doors

What is the best way to find good help?

I live in Central TX and I've tried calling companies and having them
come out for bids but then they just dissappear.

I looked at Angie's list but at $70/year is it worth it?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

What do you mean, "they just disappear"? Did you try to hire one? Perhaps
they are very busy, or if you were vague about the work you want done they
may have thought you were just price shopping.

Thay said they would get back to me with a bid and never did.

First of all, I try to learn about the project and products so's I can ask
intelligent questions...if you don't research, you are likely to be
stiffed either in terms of product or workmanship. BE THERE every minute
anyone is working on your home.

Sound advice :-)

I like to get names from people I know who have had similar work done. If
I can't do that, I find someone I know has been in biz for a serious
length of time. You can probably get names, probably not recommendations,
from suppliers who sell the siding or windows. Some mfg. co. have
certification programs for contractors. Contact county or city licensing
agency to see if they have license and any actions taken against their
license.

You must have neighbors who have had same work done .. talk to them re
products and contractors. When you know exactly what you want, then get
bids specific about product brand/type, sizes, start/end, insurance, lien
release. If you hire two contractors, they need to coordinate schedules
and that should be in writing.

Everyone in this neighborhood has, or had, problems with the bottom of their
siding. It wasn't installed correctly and for some reason a lot of houses
don't have proper gutters on their roofs and that compounds the siding
issues.

You're right about everything in writing. You've obviously been down this
road before. ;-)

We had a bad roofing job done at our condo, before we moved in, and the
contractor was working with us until one of the less pleasant board
members got nasty with him. They should have sued him right away, but
were too lazy..talked legal action after he had been back several times
for major rework and ended up ****ing him off. Sometimes being sued is
more pleasant than working with a-------.

Lost you on the last part. Too bad about your roof. At least you gave him a
chance to fix the problem. Going to court would be my absolute last option.
More hassle than it's worth in most cases.

Thanks, good to hear from someone who has been there!