Posted to alt.home.repair
ythread ythread is offline

Default Best way to find a good contractor?

"dpb" wrote in message ...
ythread wrote:
Sadly you are probably right on. Congratulations on your lawsuits but I'm
sure you'd rather avoid the hassle.

I'm not sure...I think some people simply enjoy drama and/or don't have
very good negotiating skills in resolving issues w/o confrontation. Don't
know for sure here, but a general observation...

In Toller's defense, (HA-HA, like he needs one) his claims were all upheld
in court. However, having been involved in a serious lawsuit (multi-million
$$), I know I would not want to reveal I've been involved in four civil
suits at a deposition.

I'd rather not pay Angie's list but it just maybe worth it. I was hoping
there was a free reliable website but I guess you get what you pay for.

I wouldn't bet on it on these kinds of things (getting what you pay for,
that is) -- you might want to google a thread here within the last month
or so specifically on Angie's list. Biggest problem I see is that unless
you're in an extremely large market, the chances are pretty remote there
are any more than one or two at most of what you need listed and then
there's no guarantee they do work in the particular part of that metro
area you're in. And, as I understand it, once you pay your money, it's
gone whether you get anything useful or not...

I am in a large market, Central TX, but I know what you mean. I'd like to be
able to pay for the service as needed.

A noted in another response to Edwin, I'm in agreement on the personal and
tradesman references. Unfortunately, in any location that isn't in a
flatlined economic situation, good tradespeople are in short supply and
can afford to be selective. It takes perseverance to track one down.

My initial impression with the contractors here has made me extremely
cautious. I had several over for a lighting job and most of them didn't even
follow up with a bid. One was clearly not qualified at all. One that did bid
said he'd do it in two week and he called me two months later. I don't like
to do business with people that don't follow up on their promises.

Is it a good idea to have the work done through Homedepot or Lowes? I had a
door installed through Homedepot and it went fairly smoothly.

Jim