Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do you find a good contractor?

I have been looking for a good contractor for a while to help me with a
garage and they are either:

1. Not even interested to call me back

2. Come over but lose interest in the job (and don't call me back)

3. Or aren't competent

Are there any good websites for looking up contractors, yellow pages, only
personal references?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron wrote:
I have been looking for a good contractor for a while to help me with a
garage and they are either:

You are not going to find a GOOD contractor to HELP you with a garage.
My brother who is a good contractor is not shy about his pricing
scheme:

If he does it = $X
If you want to help him = $X x 2
If you want to learn = $X x 3

If you know what you are doing and can't bribe friends with beer then
hire day laborers to help you. If you don't know what you are doing
then hire a contractor and you drink the beer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron" wrote in message
I have been looking for a good contractor for a while to help me with a
garage and they are either:

1. Not even interested to call me back

2. Come over but lose interest in the job (and don't call me back)

3. Or aren't competent

The best are personal reference. I see a potential problem. You want
"help" with a garage. They don't want to help you, they want to do the job.
If you need a helper different story, different people. Maybe you really
want a good laborer?

More specifics of what you want to accomplish would help us to answer you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 19:30:40 -0400, "Aaron"
wrote:

I have been looking for a good contractor for a while to help me with a
garage and they are either:

1. Not even interested to call me back

2. Come over but lose interest in the job (and don't call me back)

3. Or aren't competent

Are there any good websites for looking up contractors, yellow pages, only
personal references?

Talk with some local building/house contractors. Do some research.
Talk to real estate workers, neighbors, etc. Ask about contractors
that can show proof of being bonded and insured. If it's a garage you
want built then scan the local area for those that have new garages,
then politely ask them. Allow three days for someone to return the
call.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Aaron" wrote in message
I have been looking for a good contractor for a while to help me with a
garage and they are either:

1. Not even interested to call me back

2. Come over but lose interest in the job (and don't call me back)

3. Or aren't competent

The best are personal reference. I see a potential problem. You want
"help" with a garage. They don't want to help you, they want to do the
job. If you need a helper different story, different people. Maybe you
really want a good laborer?

More specifics of what you want to accomplish would help us to answer you.

Reminds me of my contracting days, Red flag when customer wants to do
this and that and wants you to do this and that, Solution let them (
customer) do it themselves. Bigger red flag , customer starts telling you
all the bad luck he has had with contractors, Solution bid the job so high
when they ( customer) turn into a nit picking tight wad and try to beat
every penny out if you, you Might still make money.
Hear is my advice remember you are paying for someone's knowledge,
experience and skill. Another must is check these 3 things licenses ,
liability insurance and workman's comp. You might be getting more than you
bargain fore.
Final rule PRICE, QUALITY, TIME any two not all three. There are
Honest and quality contractors out there Good luck

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have been looking for a good contractor for a while to help me with a
garage and they are either:

1. Not even interested to call me back

2. Come over but lose interest in the job (and don't call me back)

3. Or aren't competent

Are there any good websites for looking up contractors, yellow pages, only
personal references?

See if Angie's list covers your area. www.angieslist.com

They collect personal references for all types of contractors and
services from their members and list them for all to reference.

It costs a little bit to join, but I've found it useful. Not
perfect, because some people are rating stuff that they don't
understand, but you learn to ignore those ratings and weight the
knowledgeable posts more.

But ditto what other posters said about contractors not wanting to
"help" you. It's rare to find one that is willing to let the
homeowner do part of the work.

HTH,

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron" wrote in message
I have been looking for a good contractor for a while to help me with a
garage and they are either:

1. Not even interested to call me back

2. Come over but lose interest in the job (and don't call me back)

3. Or aren't competent

Are there any good websites for looking up contractors, yellow pages, only
personal references?

In the book, "Principles of Organization", there is a section on "Delegation
Of Authority."

If you want a contractor to build a garage for you, you must delegate him
that power and authority.

If you want someone to "help", you go to the local section of your town
where the day laborers hang out and pick up a truck load.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 00:05:34 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Aaron" wrote in message
I have been looking for a good contractor for a while to help me with a
garage and they are either:

1. Not even interested to call me back

2. Come over but lose interest in the job (and don't call me back)

3. Or aren't competent

The best are personal reference. I see a potential problem. You want
"help" with a garage. They don't want to help you, they want to do the job.
If you need a helper different story, different people. Maybe you really
want a good laborer?

More specifics of what you want to accomplish would help us to answer you.

Good point. After re-reading the OP it seems like he wants to be in
charge of the operation. Contractors generally want a statement on
what needs to be done, then leave them alone to complete the job.
Isn't it irritating when the boss begins to dictate HOW the job is
done when you already have the skills? There's something wrong about

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phisherman" wrote in message

Good point. After re-reading the OP it seems like he wants to be in
charge of the operation. Contractors generally want a statement on
what needs to be done, then leave them alone to complete the job.
Isn't it irritating when the boss begins to dictate HOW the job is
done when you already have the skills?

Yeah you have a point, but so does the OP. Most contractors are unreliable
and incompetant regardless of whether they are in charge of the entire job
or not. Finding a good one is not easy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phisherman" wrote in message
Allow three days for someone to return the call.

That is just damn ridiculous. But about standard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Are there any good websites for looking up contractors

No. It's just trial and error. You have to keep calling different
contractors and have them over. In many cases you can do it yourself
in the time it takes to find someone else to do it.