Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Franklin Paul Franklin is offline

Default How do you find a good contractor?

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 19:30:40 -0400, "Aaron"
wrote:

I have been looking for a good contractor for a while to help me with a
garage and they are either:

1. Not even interested to call me back

2. Come over but lose interest in the job (and don't call me back)

3. Or aren't competent

Are there any good websites for looking up contractors, yellow pages, only
personal references?

See if Angie's list covers your area. www.angieslist.com

They collect personal references for all types of contractors and
services from their members and list them for all to reference.

It costs a little bit to join, but I've found it useful. Not
perfect, because some people are rating stuff that they don't
understand, but you learn to ignore those ratings and weight the
knowledgeable posts more.

But ditto what other posters said about contractors not wanting to
"help" you. It's rare to find one that is willing to let the
homeowner do part of the work.

HTH,

Paul