Posted to alt.home.repair
jthread jthread is offline

Default Best way to find a good contractor?

"dpb" wrote in message ...
jthread wrote:

Thanks for your advice and I have been asking around but I don't hang out
much with people who use contractors, I'm retired, and haven't been to
church since I was 10. LOL

Well, maybe it's time...

Well that is certainly a matter of opinion. I could look up the Branch
Davidians and see if they still have a group going in my area. Not much into
young boys so Catholic's are out. Let's see shall I continue? ;-)

Senior center, Lions/Kiwanis/whatever...

I'm a young retiree. I don't socialize much with the older folks. I just
barely became eligible for AARP.

Surely you associate w/ _some_ groups of folks???

I talk to a lot of realtors but they usually don't know much about houses
surprisingly enough. Musicians are clueless when it comes to power tools.
I'm the exception.

I was thinking of going to a lumber store and asking them.

That was Edwin's suggestion and my followup some time previously.
Full-line lumberyards good, HD, etc., not so much imo.

What are you wanting done? If it's wiring/electrical as opposed to
construction, may have better luck at the electrical supply distributors
although a large lumberyard probably can steer you where else you might
ask if not directly to an electrician, say...

The lighting job I did myself while waiting for the electrician to call
back.

Now I want to install some gutters, siding, and a French door in my master
b/r where there is a window now (HD won't do that anyway, no tearouts).
There is a large construction supply warehouse and lumberyard near by. I'm
going to see if they can be of help there.

good luck, be persistent...