Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default bullet resistant sheet rock

Where could I get bullet resistant sheet rock, to use in my upcoming
remodeling?

I'm watching a tv documentary right now, and two people are in a gun
fight in a home, and one hides behind the 2 foot x 2 foot plaster post
at the bottom of the stairs, but the other person shoots right through
it.

I don't want that to happen to me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

From a "gun group" I found a site called the "Box o' Truth" in which a guy
described what happened when the fired various weapons through various
materials and objects include sheet rock (and, for fun, jugs of water).

His first "test" was with 12 sheets of 5/8" drywall. This is the report:

"First, I shot it with my M-17 S&W, .22 LR HP. It penetrated 6 sheets and
bounced off the seventh sheet.
That would be the equivalent of 3 interior walls.
And that's only a .22 pistol."

It's a GREAT site.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot1.htm

Bottom line: Sheet rock ain't bullet proof!
"mm" wrote in message
Where could I get bullet resistant sheet rock, to use in my upcoming
remodeling?

I'm watching a tv documentary right now, and two people are in a gun
fight in a home, and one hides behind the 2 foot x 2 foot plaster post
at the bottom of the stairs, but the other person shoots right through
it.

It's it hollow and the shooter has something more powerful than a .22", the
plaster (actually, sheet rock in anything built in the last 40 years) will
not provide much protection.

Back when I had my military training the instructors spoke of "Cover" and
"Concealment." "Cover" means something that will stop an accurately aimed
round before it hits you. "Concealment" means that the enemy will not be
able to accurately aim. Anything short of a foot or two of soil just isn't
reliable "cover."

I don't want that to happen to me.

As others have pointed out, just don't get anyone angry!

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm writes:

Where could I get bullet resistant sheet rock, to use in my upcoming
remodeling?

Much cheaper and more effective to just insist on non-wall-penetrating
ammunition (for both you and your opponent).
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
Where could I get bullet resistant sheet rock, to use in my upcoming
remodeling?

I'm watching a tv documentary right now, and two people are in a gun
fight in a home, and one hides behind the 2 foot x 2 foot plaster post
at the bottom of the stairs, but the other person shoots right through
it.

I don't want that to happen to me.

Quite having gun fights in our home!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Dobony wrote:
"mm" wrote in message
Where could I get bullet resistant sheet rock, to use in my upcoming
remodeling?

I'm watching a tv documentary right now, and two people are in a gun
fight in a home, and one hides behind the 2 foot x 2 foot plaster post
at the bottom of the stairs, but the other person shoots right through
it.

I don't want that to happen to me.

Quite having gun fights in our home!

Well OK, Mike. Sounds like you live in a very interesting area!

But I was going to suggest that she learn to shoot straight,
accurate, and first.

--
Grandpa

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 1, 12:25 am, mm wrote:
Where could I get bullet resistant sheet rock, to use in my upcoming
remodeling?

I'm watching a tv documentary right now, and two people are in a gun
fight in a home, and one hides behind the 2 foot x 2 foot plaster post
at the bottom of the stairs, but the other person shoots right through
it.

I don't want that to happen to me.

If you liberally decorate the room with glassware, bottles, vases,
mirrors and the like, the bullets will be attracted to them and you
won't have to worry about anything more than a flesh wound to an
unimportant part of your body.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 23:55:25 -0500, "Mike Dobony"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
Where could I get bullet resistant sheet rock, to use in my upcoming
remodeling?

I'm watching a tv documentary right now, and two people are in a gun
fight in a home, and one hides behind the 2 foot x 2 foot plaster post
at the bottom of the stairs, but the other person shoots right through
it.

I don't want that to happen to me.

Quite having gun fights in our home!

I can't promise to quit, Mike. Some of your friends are not friendly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 30, 9:25 pm, mm wrote:
Where could I get bullet resistant sheet rock, to use in my upcoming
remodeling?

I'm watching a tv documentary right now, and two people are in a gun
fight in a home, and one hides behind the 2 foot x 2 foot plaster post
at the bottom of the stairs, but the other person shoots right through
it.

I don't want that to happen to me.

What calibers are we talking about?

Wimpy 9's or .357's or .44's or .45's? Or 12ga?

My suggestion would be two layers of 1/2" wonderboard covered with
thinner drywall but even this system wouldn't much good for multiple
hits.

If you're serious you'll need to do some more research.

A "layered" armor approach might be worth considering; wonder board,
light gage steel sheet, wonder board, drywall.

The placement of the steel would need ot be evaluated; sandwiched or
nearer the surfacer

If you're in a seismic area & you've got a 2 story this will drive up
your lateral system demands.

Maybe modified furniture could supply your desired cover? Hey, you
never know ......making the whole house bullet resistant (BR) also
gives the bad guy cover

How about BR walls for the bathrooms & bedrooms (safety rooms) & don't
forget the doors.

Or you could just put up signs..........."no gun play in the house"

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 05:07:02 GMT, Grandpa wrote:

Mike Dobony wrote:
"mm" wrote in message
Where could I get bullet resistant sheet rock, to use in my upcoming
remodeling?

I'm watching a tv documentary right now, and two people are in a gun
fight in a home, and one hides behind the 2 foot x 2 foot plaster post
at the bottom of the stairs, but the other person shoots right through
it.

I don't want that to happen to me.

Quite having gun fights in our home!

Well OK, Mike. Sounds like you live in a very interesting area!

But I was going to suggest that she learn to shoot straight,
accurate, and first.

The one hiding behind the post had shot first, but not accurately.
Then she hid.

How did you know that one was a she? Were you also watching "24"?

(It's starting again now, on a different channel!)

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 05:08:01 -0000, RicodJour
wrote:

On Jul 1, 12:25 am, mm wrote:
Where could I get bullet resistant sheet rock, to use in my upcoming
remodeling?

I'm watching a tv documentary right now, and two people are in a gun
fight in a home, and one hides behind the 2 foot x 2 foot plaster post
at the bottom of the stairs, but the other person shoots right through
it.

I don't want that to happen to me.

If you liberally decorate the room with glassware, bottles, vases,
mirrors and the like, the bullets will be attracted to them

Good point. I never realized how that worked until you just explained
it.

and you
won't have to worry about anything more than a flesh wound to an
unimportant part of your body.

I'd still like to get some steel-lined sheetrock.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote:

What part of

"DONT' FEED THE TROLLS"

are you to stupid to understand?
Posted to alt.home.repair

John Gilmer wrote:

What part of

"DON'T FEED THE TROLLS" are you
too stupid to understand?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 30, 11:25 pm, mm wrote:
Where could I get bullet resistant sheet rock, to use in my upcoming
remodeling?

I'm watching a tv documentary right now, and two people are in a gun
fight in a home, and one hides behind the 2 foot x 2 foot plaster post
at the bottom of the stairs, but the other person shoots right through
it.

I don't want that to happen to me.

I came across this information:

Location: Gainesville , GA
Markets: Direct
Notes: none
Product: Formable Kevlar material for expedient wall protection
Product name: Millibar
Web site: none
Test data available: null
POC: Dan Gallucci (770) 844-9438 and fax (770) 844-9438
E-Mail: none

Millibar, developed by New Necessities of Gainesville, Ga., is a high-
wind, severe-storm, and seismic structural reinforcement ribbon made
of Kevlar. Kevlar, also used for bulletproof vests, is one of the
strongest materials available: It has a tensile strength of 525,000
psi vs. 36,000 psi for steel. Millibar-reinforced spaces can survive
falling trees and flying debris.

The company has developed a "Sanctuary Saferoom" plan that uses the
material and traditional building materials to "create an armored
bunker within the structure." The company also sells what it calls
"armored wallpaper," in 4-foot-by-8-foot sheets.

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jJim McLaughlin" wrote in message
. ..
John Gilmer wrote:

What part of

"DON'T FEED THE TROLLS" are you
too stupid to understand?

Come on!

It's a FUN topic. Everyone enjoyed it but you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I insulate my house with kevlar, so I need not worry about a gunfight in my
home! How often does a gunfight occur in homes these days? If your that
concerned about a gunfight in your house then I would suggest moving to a
safer environment and quit selling the drugs in the crack house!

In my home there would only be ONE shot, that would be my .45 at the
intruder. I'll just have to make sure the bullet lodges in his spine on its
way through the heart!

Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 1, 3:00 am, jJim McLaughlin wrote:
RicodJour wrote:

What part of

"DONT' FEED THE TROLLS"

are you to stupid to understand?

mm is not a troll. He was being humorous. Perhaps the term escapes
you...?

You may want to consider posting when sober. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 1, 10:13 am, "Shopdog" wrote:
I insulate my house with kevlar, so I need not worry about a gunfight in my
home! How often does a gunfight occur in homes these days? If your that
concerned about a gunfight in your house then I would suggest moving to a
safer environment and quit selling the drugs in the crack house!

In my home there would only be ONE shot, that would be my .45 at the
intruder. I'll just have to make sure the bullet lodges in his spine on its
way through the heart!

What happens if the intruder is a ninja and can swat bullets out of
mid air with their nunchakus? Won't you feel silly!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 00:25:39 -0400, mm
wrote:

Where could I get bullet resistant sheet rock, to use in my upcoming
remodeling?

I'm watching a tv documentary right now, and two people are in a gun
fight in a home, and one hides behind the 2 foot x 2 foot plaster post
at the bottom of the stairs, but the other person shoots right through
it.

I don't want that to happen to me.

Kevlar is a little expensive.

I'd pick one spot in the home and create a barrier by filling the
wall cavity between the sheet rock with whatever building material I
could find cheap. That could be concrete, bricks, paving stones,
sand, rocks.....

A really nice one would have a 4x6 inch bullet proof glass and right
beneath a steel plate with a hole just big enough for your barrel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

actually every home should have a interior safe room, preferably at
least one foot thick steeel reinforced concrete walls floor and
cieling, with independent battery and generator power, water and food
stocked for a month, and some very good air filters and waste
disposal.

think bomb shelter. survivalists type set up.

good for civil unrest, panic, food shortage, nuclear accident,
terrorist activities etc etc.

although the OP thought it funny, its really a serious need.

just imagine your drinking water supply suddenly quits after
terrorists do something bad.

anyone really think the feds are up to the challenge?

the national guard has been gutted about half the equiptement and much
of the troops in iraq. with Bush in command do you really think things
will go well?

really?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 00:25:39 -0400, mm wrote:

Where could I get bullet resistant sheet rock, to use in my upcoming
remodeling?

I'm watching a tv documentary right now, and two people are in a gun
fight in a home, and one hides behind the 2 foot x 2 foot plaster post
at the bottom of the stairs, but the other person shoots right through
it.

I don't want that to happen to me.

He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword.

I suggest you quit getting into gun fights, quit watching so much ****ing TV,
and try and get a life. That and quit being a troll.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/01/07 12:25 am mm wrote:

Where could I get bullet resistant sheet rock, to use in my upcoming
remodeling?

I'm watching a tv documentary right now, and two people are in a gun
fight in a home, and one hides behind the 2 foot x 2 foot plaster post
at the bottom of the stairs, but the other person shoots right through
it.

I don't want that to happen to me.

Move to a country with more sensible gun laws. There are plenty from
which to choose. Canada, UK and Australia spring to mind.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 07/01/07 12:25 am mm wrote:

Where could I get bullet resistant sheet rock, to use in my upcoming
remodeling?

I'm watching a tv documentary right now, and two people are in a gun
fight in a home, and one hides behind the 2 foot x 2 foot plaster
post at the bottom of the stairs, but the other person shoots right
through it.

I don't want that to happen to me.

Move to a country with more sensible gun laws. There are plenty from
which to choose. Canada, UK and Australia spring to mind.

As does Mexico, Jamica, and Haiti.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Where could I get bullet resistant sheet rock, to use in my upcoming
remodeling?

I'm watching a tv documentary right now, and two people are in a gun
fight in a home, and one hides behind the 2 foot x 2 foot plaster post
at the bottom of the stairs, but the other person shoots right through
it.

I don't want that to happen to me.

Make guns illegal in your home. The government says this works.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Where could I get bullet resistant sheet rock, to use in my upcoming
remodeling?

I'm watching a tv documentary right now, and two people are in a gun
fight in a home, and one hides behind the 2 foot x 2 foot plaster post
at the bottom of the stairs, but the other person shoots right through
it.

I don't want that to happen to me.

I just don't understand why you cannot make a pointed cap from
aluminum foil!!? Then you can handle alien bullets.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

Where could I get bullet resistant sheet rock, to use in my upcoming
remodeling?

I'm watching a tv documentary right now, and two people are in a gun
fight in a home, and one hides behind the 2 foot x 2 foot plaster post
at the bottom of the stairs, but the other person shoots right through
it.

I don't want that to happen to me.

Make guns illegal in your home. The government says this works.

That's a good idea. I'm going to put up a sign. Maybe put a box
right next to the front door whenre they can leave their guns.

But some of my acquaintances are too young to read, and some never
learned how, so I'm going to seriously consider the Kevlar sheet rock.
Price is really not a concern when one's life is at stake.

I appreciate all the suggestions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 07/01/07 12:25 am mm wrote:

Where could I get bullet resistant sheet rock, to use in my upcoming
remodeling?

I'm watching a tv documentary right now, and two people are in a gun
fight in a home, and one hides behind the 2 foot x 2 foot plaster
post at the bottom of the stairs, but the other person shoots right
through it.

I don't want that to happen to me.

Move to a country with more sensible gun laws. There are plenty from
which to choose. Canada, UK and Australia spring to mind.

Why would I want to move to any of those countries all of which have a per
capita violent crime rate far higher than in America?

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 17:08:36 -0400, mm
wrote:

That's a good idea. I'm going to put up a sign. Maybe put a box
right next to the front door whenre they can leave their guns.

The gun box will need to be heavy, fortified, and mounted... like an
ATM. You want something that might resemble a mail box array, with
keys and locks.

The box will need a vertical door to hold rifles and shotguns. Then
four individual drawer doors for pistols and ammo.

Leave keys in the doors, so the depositor has their own key while in
the house.

You could put a steel door over the boxes; then open the main door, so
the person with the key opens the box while you're present. You get
some degree of gun control.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in
:

On 07/01/07 12:25 am mm wrote:

Where could I get bullet resistant sheet rock, to use in my upcoming
remodeling?

I'm watching a tv documentary right now, and two people are in a gun
fight in a home, and one hides behind the 2 foot x 2 foot plaster post
at the bottom of the stairs, but the other person shoots right through
it.

I don't want that to happen to me.

Move to a country with more sensible gun laws. There are plenty from
which to choose. Canada, UK and Australia spring to mind.

Perce

which ALL still have shootings.

In Australia,ONE guy was making handguns in his home shop by the
100s,police estimate he already had sold 100s before they caught him.
In Japan,one business of the Yakuza is gunrunning.In the UK,the IRA still
has caches of guns not surrendered per their agreement,and their Yardies
gang has machine guns.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote in
:

wrote:

Where could I get bullet resistant sheet rock, to use in my upcoming
remodeling?

I'm watching a tv documentary right now, and two people are in a gun
fight in a home, and one hides behind the 2 foot x 2 foot plaster post
at the bottom of the stairs, but the other person shoots right through
it.

I don't want that to happen to me.

Make guns illegal in your home. The government says this works.

That's a good idea. I'm going to put up a sign. Maybe put a box
right next to the front door whenre they can leave their guns.

But some of my acquaintances are too young to read, and some never
learned how, so I'm going to seriously consider the Kevlar sheet rock.
Price is really not a concern when one's life is at stake.

I appreciate all the suggestions.

"kevlar sheet rock" is NOT going to stop bullets.
kevlar depends on many layers and deformation to stop bullets;put it on a
solid surface,and bullets go thru easier.But No soft body armor stops RIFLE
bullets.For that,"trauma plates" are needed,ceramic/titanium rigid armor.

Now,one guy DID make a spaced composite armor from concrete and steel
plates,welded a big box of it on a small bulldozer,and went amok with
it,driving it thru several buildings,police could not shoot thru it.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
actually every home should have a interior safe room, preferably at
least one foot thick steeel reinforced concrete walls floor and
cieling, with independent battery and generator power, water and food
stocked for a month, and some very good air filters and waste
disposal.

think bomb shelter. survivalists type set up.

good for civil unrest, panic, food shortage, nuclear accident,
terrorist activities etc etc.

although the OP thought it funny, its really a serious need.

just imagine your drinking water supply suddenly quits after
terrorists do something bad.

anyone really think the feds are up to the challenge?

the national guard has been gutted about half the equiptement and much
of the troops in iraq. with Bush in command do you really think things
will go well?

Thank the draft dodger/sex offender/wiener for destroying the military
before Bush got in office!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
On 07/01/07 12:25 am mm wrote:

Where could I get bullet resistant sheet rock, to use in my upcoming
remodeling?

I'm watching a tv documentary right now, and two people are in a gun
fight in a home, and one hides behind the 2 foot x 2 foot plaster post
at the bottom of the stairs, but the other person shoots right through
it.

I don't want that to happen to me.

Move to a country with more sensible gun laws. There are plenty from which
to choose. Canada, UK and Australia spring to mind.

Yup, only the criminals and terrorists and govt. has the guns. You are not
allowed to protect yourself.
Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
RicodJour wrote:

On Jul 1, 10:13 am, "Shopdog" wrote:
I insulate my house with kevlar, so I need not worry about a gunfight in my
home! How often does a gunfight occur in homes these days? If your that
concerned about a gunfight in your house then I would suggest moving to a
safer environment and quit selling the drugs in the crack house!

In my home there would only be ONE shot, that would be my .45 at the
intruder. I'll just have to make sure the bullet lodges in his spine on its
way through the heart!

What happens if the intruder is a ninja and can swat bullets out of
mid air with their nunchakus? Won't you feel silly!

That's why it's good to have a quad fifty mounted to the nightstand. Not
too many ninjas can swat 2000 rounds per minute out of the air. Of
course, the house will collapse around you pretty quickly, but that's
merely a pesky inconvenience.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 19:08:12 -0500, "Mike Dobony"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Almost everyone was in favor of saving the "peace dividend" when the
Soviet Union disbanded.

But still, your complaint might have made sense in 2001, but Bush and
the Rep. majority had 6 years since then to augment the military, and
they haven't even started. Your song is the same, but the audience
went home years ago.

In WWII, the government told the auto makers to make weapons, and they
did, quickly. This time, the Bush administration doesn't want to
interfere with corporations making money, so the soldiers in Iraq had
to scrounge around and make their own humvee armor. Their parents
have to buy them body armor. They've cut appropriations to Veterans'
hospitals, which only the new Democrat majority has started to undo.

All this while Halliburton overcharges for what it provides and
sometimes for things it doesn't provide at all.

I'm sure you'll have a fantasyland answer, so you can have the last
word.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
Where could I get bullet resistant sheet rock, to use in my upcoming
remodeling?

Easier to plug all your lights into a clapper. When the fight starts, shoot
your gun twice and all the lights go out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 2, 1:07 am, "Kitep" wrote:
"mm" wrote in message

Where could I get bullet resistant sheet rock, to use in my upcoming
remodeling?

Easier to plug all your lights into a clapper. When the fight starts, shoot
your gun twice and all the lights go out.

How much shooting do you plan on doing in your house?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 2, 3:28 am, mm wrote:
On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 22:40:49 -0700, wrote:
On Jul 2, 1:07 am, "Kitep" wrote:
"mm" wrote in message

. ..

Where could I get bullet resistant sheet rock, to use in my upcoming
remodeling?

Easier to plug all your lights into a clapper. When the fight starts, shoot
your gun twice and all the lights go out.

How much shooting do you plan on doing in your house?

I was watching a documentary on TV called "24" and there was a lot of
shooting in one of their houses, and I just want to be prepared.

Some woman shot at Mr. Bauer, and then hid behind a large square post
at the foot of the stairs, and he shot right through the sheetrock
where she was hiding, and hit her. I don't want that to happen to me.

The head of the US Homeland Security Michael Chertoff is a
big fan of "24". In an interview on a talk radio program, he said
that he wished we had an operations center as nice as CTU.

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 1, 12:25 am, mm wrote:
Where could I get bullet resistant sheet rock, to use in my upcoming
remodeling?

I'm watching a tv documentary right now, and two people are in a gun
fight in a home, and one hides behind the 2 foot x 2 foot plaster post
at the bottom of the stairs, but the other person shoots right through
it.

I don't want that to happen to me.

The heck with bulletproof sheetrock; I want the bulletproof
refrigerator
door (as seen in Mr. and Mrs. Smith and in Gross Pointe Blank).

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Jul 1, 10:39 am, RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 1, 10:13 am, "Shopdog" wrote:

I insulate my house with kevlar, so I need not worry about a gunfight in my
home! How often does a gunfight occur in homes these days? If your that
concerned about a gunfight in your house then I would suggest moving to a
safer environment and quit selling the drugs in the crack house!

In my home there would only be ONE shot, that would be my .45 at the
intruder. I'll just have to make sure the bullet lodges in his spine on its
way through the heart!

What happens if the intruder is a ninja and can swat bullets out of
mid air with their nunchakus? Won't you feel silly!

Why do you think they make "concrete board"? D'oh. It is just for
tiles anymore.

Laminate Backsplash over sheet rock [email protected] Home Repair 2 June 19th 06 06:57 PM
Sheet rock Tc DiVincenzo Home Repair 10 April 21st 06 12:30 AM
Sheet rock repair yaofeng Home Repair 8 November 4th 05 04:18 AM
Painting Sheet Rock. TURTLE Home Repair 19 April 11th 05 06:42 AM
sheet rock behind stucco Pablo Home Repair 3 April 26th 04 01:16 AM