Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default bullet resistant sheet rock

On Jun 30, 9:25 pm, mm wrote:
Where could I get bullet resistant sheet rock, to use in my upcoming
remodeling?

I'm watching a tv documentary right now, and two people are in a gun
fight in a home, and one hides behind the 2 foot x 2 foot plaster post
at the bottom of the stairs, but the other person shoots right through
it.

I don't want that to happen to me.

What calibers are we talking about?

Wimpy 9's or .357's or .44's or .45's? Or 12ga?

My suggestion would be two layers of 1/2" wonderboard covered with
thinner drywall but even this system wouldn't much good for multiple
hits.

If you're serious you'll need to do some more research.

A "layered" armor approach might be worth considering; wonder board,
light gage steel sheet, wonder board, drywall.

The placement of the steel would need ot be evaluated; sandwiched or
nearer the surfacer

If you're in a seismic area & you've got a 2 story this will drive up
your lateral system demands.

Maybe modified furniture could supply your desired cover? Hey, you
never know ......making the whole house bullet resistant (BR) also
gives the bad guy cover

How about BR walls for the bathrooms & bedrooms (safety rooms) & don't
forget the doors.

Or you could just put up signs..........."no gun play in the house"

cheers
Bob