Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer John Gilmer is offline

Default bullet resistant sheet rock

From a "gun group" I found a site called the "Box o' Truth" in which a guy
described what happened when the fired various weapons through various
materials and objects include sheet rock (and, for fun, jugs of water).

His first "test" was with 12 sheets of 5/8" drywall. This is the report:

"First, I shot it with my M-17 S&W, .22 LR HP. It penetrated 6 sheets and
bounced off the seventh sheet.
That would be the equivalent of 3 interior walls.
And that's only a .22 pistol."

It's a GREAT site.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot1.htm

Bottom line: Sheet rock ain't bullet proof!
"mm" wrote in message
Where could I get bullet resistant sheet rock, to use in my upcoming
remodeling?

I'm watching a tv documentary right now, and two people are in a gun
fight in a home, and one hides behind the 2 foot x 2 foot plaster post
at the bottom of the stairs, but the other person shoots right through
it.

It's it hollow and the shooter has something more powerful than a .22", the
plaster (actually, sheet rock in anything built in the last 40 years) will
not provide much protection.

Back when I had my military training the instructors spoke of "Cover" and
"Concealment." "Cover" means something that will stop an accurately aimed
round before it hits you. "Concealment" means that the enemy will not be
able to accurately aim. Anything short of a foot or two of soil just isn't
reliable "cover."

I don't want that to happen to me.

As others have pointed out, just don't get anyone angry!