Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bathroom vanity light height/ new install

I am redoing my bathroom.. I ordered my medicine cabinet and was just
curious is there any rule of thumb as to where to install the vanity
light? Should it be a couple of inches above the medicine cabinet? I
like to know so I can mount the electric box in the right place.
Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 10:23:43 -0700, Mikepier
wrote:

I am redoing my bathroom.. I ordered my medicine cabinet and was just
curious is there any rule of thumb as to where to install the vanity
light? Should it be a couple of inches above the medicine cabinet? I
like to know so I can mount the electric box in the right place.
Thanks.

I would think just above the mirror. A couple inches or less sounds
about right.

I'd like to rant here... Why are so many mirrors mounted so low that
a tall person can't see their face? Plus, why are master-bedroom
sinks installed so low? I have to break my back every morning just to
wash my face, and I'm only 6 feet tall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phisherman" wrote

I'd like to rant here... Why are so many mirrors mounted so low that
a tall person can't see their face? Plus, why are master-bedroom
sinks installed so low? I have to break my back every morning just to
wash my face, and I'm only 6 feet tall.

They make taller ones now, I think they are called luxury
height, something like that. Maybe you could change yours.
I hate to hear you're breaking your back like that. Heh.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nancy Young" wrote in message

"Phisherman" wrote

I'd like to rant here... Why are so many mirrors mounted so low that
a tall person can't see their face? Plus, why are master-bedroom
sinks installed so low? I have to break my back every morning just to
wash my face, and I'm only 6 feet tall.

They make taller ones now, I think they are called luxury
height, something like that. Maybe you could change yours.
I hate to hear you're breaking your back like that. Heh.

Chuckle. Because women usually pick the house, and they tend to run shorter?
When I rewired the bath in this place, I had to pull the surface-mount
cabinet/mirror/light to get to the botched up feed wire. Needless to say, I
remounted it a almost a foot higher than I found it. When I bought the
place, top of mirror was at neck level for me. I'd like vanity about six
inches taller, too, but raising that would have cost money. If I ever gut
the bathroom, I will find some way to do a taller one. Mebbe vanities should
be like airport drinking fountains- a tall and a short, side by side.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 21:05:23 GMT, "aemeijers"
wrote:

"Nancy Young" wrote in message

"Phisherman" wrote

I'd like to rant here... Why are so many mirrors mounted so low that
a tall person can't see their face? Plus, why are master-bedroom
sinks installed so low? I have to break my back every morning just to
wash my face, and I'm only 6 feet tall.

They make taller ones now, I think they are called luxury
height, something like that. Maybe you could change yours.
I hate to hear you're breaking your back like that. Heh.

Chuckle. Because women usually pick the house, and they tend to run shorter?

Even if they didn't pick the house, it's probably better for the sink
to be short enough for the shortest person than so high that the short
one has to get on a ladder to use it. (Kids are on their own.)

I put a peephole in my front door, and put it lower than my own eye,
so other people could use it. Im only 5'8" but when I looked at the
peephole later, I realized that the 2 or 3 inches lower than my eye,
still meant that no one under 5'2 or 5'3 was going to be able to use
it, even standing on tiptoes.

When I rewired the bath in this place, I had to pull the surface-mount
cabinet/mirror/light to get to the botched up feed wire. Needless to say, I
remounted it a almost a foot higher than I found it. When I bought the
place, top of mirror was at neck level for me. I'd like vanity about six
inches taller, too, but raising that would have cost money. If I ever gut
the bathroom, I will find some way to do a taller one. Mebbe vanities should
be like airport drinking fountains- a tall and a short, side by side.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote

"Nancy Young" wrote

"Phisherman" wrote

I'd like to rant here... Why are so many mirrors mounted so low that
a tall person can't see their face? Plus, why are master-bedroom
sinks installed so low? I have to break my back every morning just to
wash my face, and I'm only 6 feet tall.

They make taller ones now, I think they are called luxury
height, something like that. Maybe you could change yours.
I hate to hear you're breaking your back like that. Heh.

Chuckle. Because women usually pick the house, and they tend to run
shorter?

I haven't picked out too many vanities, but I only ever saw a
standard height. Didn't think anything of it, truth be told.

When I rewired the bath in this place, I had to pull the surface-mount
cabinet/mirror/light to get to the botched up feed wire. Needless to say,
I remounted it a almost a foot higher than I found it. When I bought the
place, top of mirror was at neck level for me. I'd like vanity about six
inches taller, too, but raising that would have cost money. If I ever gut
the bathroom, I will find some way to do a taller one. Mebbe vanities
should be like airport drinking fountains- a tall and a short, side by
side.

My medicine cabinet is 28 inches tall, not including the moulding.
You'd have to really try to mount it such that you it wouldn't accomodate
both a tall and a short person.

The way I came about this cabinet is pretty ridiculous. I picked the
vanity, medicine cabinet and light out of the catalog my contractor
gave me. This was my first remodel job, I can't believe I worked that
way, but that's another story. I want this this this in this color. Done.

He ordered them, and when he'd gotten them in he said, man, I didn't
know if this was going to fit, I barely got the light in. Huh? He ordered
what I pointed to in the catalog. Well, luckily they didn't have 12 foot
ceilings in this catalog with a 6 foot mirror. I meant that style, get the
size that's right for my bathroom! Nice guy, but not the sharpest knife
in the drawer.

Worked out great. I really like having that big cabinet and mirror.
I lucked out, next time I'd do that on purpose.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd like to rant here... Why are so many mirrors mounted so low that a
tall person can't see their face?

Short installers ?

Plus, why are master-bedroom sinks installed so low?

You have a sink in your bedroom...Cool ! ;-)
Actually, when we were house shopping some time back, we looked at one that
had the whirlpool tub right in the bedroom..weird !

I have to break my back every morning just to wash my face, and I'm only 6
feet tall.

I'm 6'4 and the last 3 houses we built, I put ALL the countertops: kit,
Baths, laundry room at 36.5" a/FF. I also installed 3 Kohler "Comfort
Height" toilets.
It's all a good fit for us but one "shorter" lady visitor complained her
feet didnt reach the floor when upon the "throne". I'll have to make her a
"one step" before her next visit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rudy" wrote

I'm 6'4 and the last 3 houses we built, I put ALL the countertops: kit,
Baths, laundry room at 36.5" a/FF. I also installed 3 Kohler "Comfort
Height" toilets.
It's all a good fit for us but one "shorter" lady visitor complained her
feet didnt reach the floor when upon the "throne". I'll have to make her
a "one step" before her next visit.

Heh, I had this problem at my brother's house just recently.
I never used the bathroom before, imagine my surprise the seat
was so hight my feet were swinging. I didn't find out until later
their house used to have a disabled person living there, hence
the special toilet.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mikepier" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am redoing my bathroom.. I ordered my medicine cabinet and was just
curious is there any rule of thumb as to where to install the vanity
light? Should it be a couple of inches above the medicine cabinet? I
like to know so I can mount the electric box in the right place.
Thanks.

84" from the floor to the box is the "standard". This allows for most
fixtures.

Do you own math and put it where you want it.

30-36" vanity base, 3-5" top and splash, 30-36" of mirror or cabinet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you are doing a complete remodel, and have the space, you might consider
lights on the sides of the mirror rather than over the top. I personally
think this gives better light, with less shadows on your face while shaving
and for the little lady when she puts on her makeup.

"Mikepier" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am redoing my bathroom.. I ordered my medicine cabinet and was just
curious is there any rule of thumb as to where to install the vanity
light? Should it be a couple of inches above the medicine cabinet? I
like to know so I can mount the electric box in the right place.
Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 10:59 pm, "Mark" wrote:
If you are doing a complete remodel, and have the space, you might consider
lights on the sides of the mirror rather than over the top. I personally
think this gives better light, with less shadows on your face while shaving
and for the little lady when she puts on her makeup.

"Mikepier" wrote in message

Thanks for the inputs. Unfortunately the vanity is against a wall so I
can't put lights on the side.
The vanity (30"W x 19"D) along with the medicine cabinet (30"H X 24"W)
is arriving Monday, so I think I'll wait until I get them so I can see
what I am dealing with, plus I will have a better idea what kind of
vanity light would match. I can't believe how many choices in lights
are out there. And all different sizes. Some are only 4" tall, others
are up to 11" ( sconces), plus the ceiling drops 8" not too far from
where the light will be, so I have to be careful where I mount the
box. If I mount it too low, the mirror will end up hitting the light.
If I mount it too high, the ceiling drop might be in the way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

As a user of a walker device I was really taken aback the first time
trying to stand while sitting on the "throne". We bought an add-on
for our bathroom toilet that raises the height of the seat (I guess)
about 3"-4". Major step forward with respect to standing compared to
the lower height!

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 08:49:02 -0400, "Nancy Young"
wrote:

"Rudy" wrote

I'm 6'4 and the last 3 houses we built, I put ALL the countertops: kit,
Baths, laundry room at 36.5" a/FF. I also installed 3 Kohler "Comfort
Height" toilets.
It's all a good fit for us but one "shorter" lady visitor complained her
feet didnt reach the floor when upon the "throne". I'll have to make her
a "one step" before her next visit.

Heh, I had this problem at my brother's house just recently.
I never used the bathroom before, imagine my surprise the seat
was so hight my feet were swinging. I didn't find out until later
their house used to have a disabled person living there, hence
the special toilet.

nancy

Bathroom Vanity - Done! Teamcasa Woodworking 7 April 20th 06 04:30 PM
vanity sink install SeaKan Home Repair 0 March 19th 06 03:28 AM
Bathroom vanity Teamcasa Woodworking 7 September 13th 05 09:35 PM
Bathroom Vanity Rob V Woodworking 0 June 10th 05 05:26 PM