Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Slimy mains water!

Where I live, we seem to be located close to a dead end of a water
main. This causes us no end of problems, as the water always seems to
be stagnant and filled with sediment unless I get the local authority
to flush out the hydrant every couple of weeks, to which they object
bitterly. This weekend, things have come to a head, as the water has
become slimy! It is horrible to shower in, and undrinkable. Could it
be related to the season we are in, and algae growth? The clothes
smell horrible after being washed too, particularly the towels. We
live in a very built up residential suburb, but most houses canvassed
on this dont have any water problems, seems to be just us somehow....
what can I do??

Posted to alt.home.repair

"None" wrote in message
ps.com...
Where I live, we seem to be located close to a dead end of a water
main. This causes us no end of problems, as the water always seems to
be stagnant and filled with sediment unless I get the local authority
to flush out the hydrant every couple of weeks, to which they object
bitterly. This weekend, things have come to a head, as the water has
become slimy! It is horrible to shower in, and undrinkable. Could it
be related to the season we are in, and algae growth? The clothes
smell horrible after being washed too, particularly the towels. We
live in a very built up residential suburb, but most houses canvassed
on this dont have any water problems, seems to be just us somehow....
what can I do??

First thing I'd do is find out who the head honcho is at the water authority
and demand to speak to him/her. There are times when you need to stop
dealing with foot soldiers, and insist on speaking to a general. I'd also
call your local health department. In other words, start making peoples'
lives miserable until the problem's fixed, even if it means that they have
to rip up the entire street to fix the problem. Do *NOT* think about
spending money on water treatment yet. You are already paying for water that
should meat a certain quality level.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 3:22 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"None" wrote in message

ps.com...

[...]

Hmmm... I'm trying to psyche myself up to be beastly on the phone
tomorrow morning lol... I am soooo sick of this problem by now. If
they flush the hydrant, we get two weeks (like clockwork) of clean
water, followed by the inevitable sudden decline. The problem is, they
don't actually believe me when I have tried to describe the problem!!
They have canvassed neighbours further up the road, and they havent
raised any concerns. They make one feel embarrassed to be reporting
these concerns, its truly backward. Around here, its not a water
company that regulates things, the water isnt privatised anymore. With
that said, its clearly a very localised problem, and when I say
localised I mean my house!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"None" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 17, 3:22 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"None" wrote in message

ps.com...

[...]

The people who you've dealt with so far get paid for their work. Who pays
them? It's either a public or private organization.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

None wrote:
On Jun 17, 3:22 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"None" wrote in message

ps.com...

[...]

If it is a public supply, they're required to meet the minimum
standards. Take samples at your tap and have them tested. It would be
best to take the sample at the entrance to the house so it is still in
their supply chain. If it fails, voila! you have recourse.

Alternatively, if it is simply a dead end of the line issue which is
possible, perhaps it wouldn't be too difficult to get at least a small
bypass line so the water continues to move.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 4:01 pm, dpb wrote:
None wrote:
On Jun 17, 3:22 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

oups.com...

--

Thanks for the responses... what do you mean when you say a bypass
line?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"None" wrote in message
First thing I'd do is find out who the head honcho is at the water
authority
and demand to speak to him/her.

Hmmm... I'm trying to psyche myself up to be beastly on the phone
tomorrow morning lol... I am soooo sick of this problem by now. If
they flush the hydrant, we get two weeks (like clockwork) of clean
water, followed by the inevitable sudden decline.

Don't be nasty. Nasty just makes the other person nasty. Follow Joe SB's
instructions to get to the head guy. The, you say, I have a problems, and
you are the person that can help me. Politely explain the problem, offer a
suggestion, then let him follow up. Only when this does not work do you get
nasty. Just be firm and polite, at least at first, state your case, and you
will get better results.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

We used to have the same problem every summer. We were on a 1 kilometre long
watermain that deadended at the end of our deadend street. There were only
40 houses on this 6" diameter main stub. The water would smell like dead
fish. Usually one call to the water department of our town would get the end
hydrant opened to flush the main, then the next couple of days we would get
superclorinated water. Our street is now connected to a watermain grid now
that they have built a development on the street and we don't get that
problem now.

"None" wrote in message
ps.com...
Where I live, we seem to be located close to a dead end of a water
main. This causes us no end of problems, as the water always seems to
be stagnant and filled with sediment unless I get the local authority
to flush out the hydrant every couple of weeks, to which they object
bitterly. This weekend, things have come to a head, as the water has
become slimy! It is horrible to shower in, and undrinkable. Could it
be related to the season we are in, and algae growth? The clothes
smell horrible after being washed too, particularly the towels. We
live in a very built up residential suburb, but most houses canvassed
on this dont have any water problems, seems to be just us somehow....
what can I do??

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

None wrote:
On Jun 17, 4:01 pm, dpb wrote:
None wrote:
On Jun 17, 3:22 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"None" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Exactly that -- a smaller than the main line that connects back around
in a loop to prevent the stagnation by allowing a small amount of flow
in the main rather than the deadhead/stagnant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

employees you talk too may claim no other complaints but its possible
a big problem.

stop by the physical office, ask the name of the president or
whatever. be nice but be persistent.Ask to speak to them. Chances are
you will be directed to someone else. So talk to them, write down
their name.

if you ever think someone is ignoring you ask them to write their name
down, the name of their boss and bosses phone number.

this puts the heat on the seat

You might also complain to the local town to get it fixed

I had excellent results complaining to our town manager about the
garbage pickup. Problem solved while contractor ignored me

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...

"None" wrote in message
First thing I'd do is find out who the head honcho is at the water
authority
and demand to speak to him/her.

Hmmm... I'm trying to psyche myself up to be beastly on the phone
tomorrow morning lol... I am soooo sick of this problem by now. If
they flush the hydrant, we get two weeks (like clockwork) of clean
water, followed by the inevitable sudden decline.

Don't be nasty. Nasty just makes the other person nasty. Follow Joe SB's
instructions to get to the head guy. The, you say, I have a problems, and
you are the person that can help me. Politely explain the problem, offer
a suggestion, then let him follow up. Only when this does not work do you
get nasty. Just be firm and polite, at least at first, state your case,
and you will get better results.

......and don't forget that even in big cities, the TV stations are starved
for interesting news. If a water test shows something potentially
threatening to your health, and the water authority does nothing, you know
what to do next.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Having a water supply dead end as opposed to a continuous bypass seems like
a below standard situation. It certainly is illegal in NYC where I live and
I'm sure in most other places. Opening a hydrant every week or so seems
like a half-assed way with dealing with the inadequate design problem. It
costs staff time and wastes precious (and perhaps expensive) water. In any
case, there are federal laws that mandate minimum water quality standards.
As far as I know, enforcement of these laws have been delegated to the
states' department of health. So I would call the state DOH and complain
and let it go from there. This applies whether you have a Public or Private
water system.
--
Peace,
BobJ

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...
We used to have the same problem every summer. We were on a 1 kilometre
long watermain that deadended at the end of our deadend street. There were
only 40 houses on this 6" diameter main stub. The water would smell like
dead fish. Usually one call to the water department of our town would get
the end hydrant opened to flush the main, then the next couple of days we
would get superclorinated water. Our street is now connected to a
watermain grid now that they have built a development on the street and we
don't get that problem now.

"None" wrote in message
ps.com...
Where I live, we seem to be located close to a dead end of a water
main. This causes us no end of problems, as the water always seems to
be stagnant and filled with sediment unless I get the local authority
to flush out the hydrant every couple of weeks, to which they object
bitterly. This weekend, things have come to a head, as the water has
become slimy! It is horrible to shower in, and undrinkable. Could it
be related to the season we are in, and algae growth? The clothes
smell horrible after being washed too, particularly the towels. We
live in a very built up residential suburb, but most houses canvassed
on this dont have any water problems, seems to be just us somehow....
what can I do??

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 9:50 pm, "Marilyn & Bob" wrote:
Having a water supply dead end as opposed to a continuous bypass seems like
a below standard situation. It certainly is illegal in NYC where I live and
I'm sure in most other places. Opening a hydrant every week or so seems
like a half-assed way with dealing with the inadequate design problem. It
costs staff time and wastes precious (and perhaps expensive) water. In any
case, there are federal laws that mandate minimum water quality standards.
As far as I know, enforcement of these laws have been delegated to the
states' department of health. So I would call the state DOH and complain
and let it go from there. This applies whether you have a Public or Private
water system.
--
Peace,
BobJ

"EXT" wrote in message

anews.com...

We used to have the same problem every summer. We were on a 1 kilometre
long watermain that deadended at the end of our deadend street. There were
only 40 houses on this 6" diameter main stub. The water would smell like
dead fish. Usually one call to the water department of our town would get
the end hydrant opened to flush the main, then the next couple of days we
would get superclorinated water. Our street is now connected to a
watermain grid now that they have built a development on the street and we
don't get that problem now.

"None" wrote in message
ups.com...
Where I live, we seem to be located close to a dead end of a water
main. This causes us no end of problems, as the water always seems to
be stagnant and filled with sediment unless I get the local authority
to flush out the hydrant every couple of weeks, to which they object
bitterly. This weekend, things have come to a head, as the water has
become slimy! It is horrible to shower in, and undrinkable. Could it
be related to the season we are in, and algae growth? The clothes
smell horrible after being washed too, particularly the towels. We
live in a very built up residential suburb, but most houses canvassed
on this dont have any water problems, seems to be just us somehow....
what can I do??

Ok, the water department are sending someone out tomorrow finally. Im
expecting a lack of knowledge on their part about resolving this
problem, they sounded clueless and irked on the phone. They sure know
how to flush those hydrants though. How can I explain in quick and
concise terms that they need to stop letting the supply terminate at
the end of our street?? There are roads all around us, I just don't
know how to explain to them that they need to somehow either link it
to those pipes, or install the aforementioned bypass, as I wont sound
like I know what Im talking about.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"None" wrote in message
Ok, the water department are sending someone out tomorrow finally. Im
expecting a lack of knowledge on their part about resolving this
problem, they sounded clueless and irked on the phone. They sure know
how to flush those hydrants though. How can I explain in quick and
concise terms that they need to stop letting the supply terminate at
the end of our street?? There are roads all around us, I just don't
know how to explain to them that they need to somehow either link it
to those pipes, or install the aforementioned bypass, as I wont sound
like I know what Im talking about.

It certainly sounds like you know how to explain it. Maybe a sketch would
help? If you show them that all the gunk that is in the water (much from
the pipes) builds up at the end of the line and since you happen to be at
the end of the line, you get nasty water. Be sure to have a sample on had
just in case they flush the hydrant before they talk to you.

Explain it as all the water that goes into a bucket and the sediment falls
to the bottom and you happen to live on the bottom of the bucket. Only
difference is, the pipes are like the bucket on its side. Same crap
settling there though. They have to add a pipe so it goes past you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"None" wrote in message
ps.com...
Where I live, we seem to be located close to a dead end of a water
main. This causes us no end of problems, as the water always seems
be stagnant and filled with sediment unless I get the local
authority
to flush out the hydrant every couple of weeks, to which they object
bitterly. This weekend, things have come to a head, as the water has
become slimy! It is horrible to shower in, and undrinkable. Could it
be related to the season we are in, and algae growth? The clothes
smell horrible after being washed too, particularly the towels. We
live in a very built up residential suburb, but most houses
canvassed
on this dont have any water problems, seems to be just us
somehow....
what can I do??

Take a glass of water for the head honchos at the utility to drink If
they refuse, you've got a good case.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 20, 3:50 am, "Bob F" wrote:
"None" wrote in message

ps.com...

[...]

They have made their excuses for today, and wont be along again, now
they say tomorrow. I forgot to mention that I am not actually the last
house on the line. There are three others downstream of me, but we are
all very closely bunched together, so we are still very near to the
end hydrant, and the supply pipe is a very small one in any case. I
wont be getting any help from these neighbours though, as they really
dont seem to care about the problem, and have lived here for decades.
This has bred a strange sense of familiarity with this awful supply,
so when the water inspector does finally call in to me, I am sure he
will tell me that no neighbours reported problems when asked.
So despite the fact that something absolutely needs to be done, I will
probably be reliant on the water department being generous to the
needs of what they see as one complaint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"None" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 20, 3:50 am, "Bob F" wrote:
"None" wrote in message

ps.com...

[...]

The "nobody else has complained" thing is one of the stupidest excuses on
earth, but it's a favorite of incompetent customer support people. Ignore
it.

Is it safe to assume that you've taken the ugliest possible sample someplace
to have it tested? You want this done by an independent lab. Your states
environmental agency should be able to help you find one. Or, get out the
yellow pages, find a home inspector and they should be able to help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 20, 3:47 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"None" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Jun 20, 3:50 am, "Bob F" wrote:
"None" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

A problem for us is that the water never looks terribly bad out of the
kitchen tap. It always has tiny particles in it, and a lot of
sediment, but the sediment is too fine to cause real discoloration.
This sediment builds up in the plumbing system big time though. The
water causes what we jokingly refer to as 'yellow palm syndrome' where
after you wash your hands... er, your palms go a bit yellow.
Disgusting really, and now the slimy problem. The water has become
unnaturally slimy, and I honestly don't even want to go near the
shower because of it. Yet I have to... that is becoming soul
destroying.. lol. The local department now say they won't even come
out to me until they send a chemist around to take a sample. I'm not a
hateful man... but these people are seriously affecting my life at
this point. Another weekend and god knows how much longer that we're
gonna have to deal with this problem. All they need to do is flush the
f**ckin hydrant, and then at least we can have clean water in the
house for a short while, and in that time I can try to convince these
people that they absolutely must solve this problem permanently.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"None" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 20, 3:47 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"None" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Jun 20, 3:50 am, "Bob F" wrote:
"None" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

I keep asking this question, and you refuse to answer it for some reason:
Have you taken even the first step in finding an INDEPENDENT LAB to test the
water? Reason: You want an analysis from someone who's got no concerns about
****ing off someone they're cozy with (like their boss), and whose results
are not biased by fear of spending money to fix the problem. The water
company's chemist may be the most honest person on earth, but his/her
results may be skewed by the boss' attitude toward fixing the problem.

If you don't get the water tested independently, it's safe to assume you're
really not that concerned about it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 22, 3:19 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"None" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Jun 20, 3:47 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"None" wrote in message

roups.com...

On Jun 20, 3:50 am, "Bob F" wrote:
"None" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

I have looked into that, so far the lowest price I have seen is a
ghastly 300 plus bucks. I will continue looking though, not many of
them close by. If I have to pay that, then I will do.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

"None" wrote in message

If you don't get the water tested independently, it's safe to assume you're
really not that concerned about it.

I have looked into that, so far the lowest price I have seen is a
ghastly 300 plus bucks. I will continue looking though, not many of
them close by. If I have to pay that, then I will do.

Might check through your State extension service or land grant
university. Many of them offer the service (primarily for rural
residents w/ their own wells or for monitoring for ag runoff or
livestock operations, but at least here they'll test any sample of a
State resident).

Unfortunately, probably what you're trying to test for isn't the
ordinary coliform or similar so may not be quite so straightforward as
one would hope to show what the "problem" is that the utility needs to
fix. If it meets the safety standards of no biological hazard,
"appearance" issues aren't nearly so tightly regulated. IOW, it may
well be within all the applicable regulations but still not particularly
palatable, unfortunately.

Guess you could always go open the hydrant yourself on occasion...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...

Guess you could always go open the hydrant yourself on occasion...

Now, there's an idea!

Low pH water on mains None Home Repair 7 October 28th 06 12:00 AM
Water-king mains water softener/conditioner Cordless Crazy UK diy 0 August 31st 05 02:27 PM
Water-king mains water softener/conditioner Cordless Crazy UK diy 0 August 31st 05 02:13 PM
Boosting mains water Fuoleum UK diy 2 April 6th 05 12:31 AM
Water mains and earthing Ian Cundell UK diy 4 March 28th 05 11:44 AM