Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Slimy mains water!

"None" wrote in message
ps.com...
Where I live, we seem to be located close to a dead end of a water
main. This causes us no end of problems, as the water always seems to
be stagnant and filled with sediment unless I get the local authority
to flush out the hydrant every couple of weeks, to which they object
bitterly. This weekend, things have come to a head, as the water has
become slimy! It is horrible to shower in, and undrinkable. Could it
be related to the season we are in, and algae growth? The clothes
smell horrible after being washed too, particularly the towels. We
live in a very built up residential suburb, but most houses canvassed
on this dont have any water problems, seems to be just us somehow....
what can I do??

First thing I'd do is find out who the head honcho is at the water authority
and demand to speak to him/her. There are times when you need to stop
dealing with foot soldiers, and insist on speaking to a general. I'd also
call your local health department. In other words, start making peoples'
lives miserable until the problem's fixed, even if it means that they have
to rip up the entire street to fix the problem. Do *NOT* think about
spending money on water treatment yet. You are already paying for water that
should meat a certain quality level.